Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Stryker Offline OP
Zippy Zetec on his last legs.
OP Offline
S
first let me apologize if i am being annoying with my car purchase posts, just trying to keep eveyrone updated, if noone cares, say so please and i will stop. but i value all opinions, as i am having a hard time making this desicion on my own.

well i have pretty much resided myself to keeping the tour. i just cant see a good car go to waste because nobody will fix it (because of the airbags) so i will order the airbags off of ebay next time i see a set, and i will begin fixing the car as facilities/tools become available, in the meantime, it sits in a storage yard, under a tarp, with only storage insurance on it. there is a sign taped to the tarp with a $1,000 dollar price on it and if i get it, ill take it, if i dont (which i am pretty sure i wont) thats fine too, it will run again. in the meantime ihave to find another ride, the 20+ miels a day to work on a bike is killing me. so here are the choices, from friends, hook ups etc, or just random cars i saw on the street. (as i RIDE by

1st choice- 1996 Mazda 626.

4 cylinder (2.0L) ATX 60,000 miles. in EXCELLENT condition, i mean immaculate. not a scratch on it and the car runs as perfect as a 4 cylinder with an ATX can. one of the security gaurds at work is selling it, his GF has moved up(?? not sure if it is a move up???) to a fully loaded 2004 sonata (of the hyundai variatey). color is Teal Green Metallic. Alloy Wheels, CD player, MoonRoof. cost: $1500-$2500 (depending on what his GF says. i have been told that these cars are very similar to the contour in speed and handling, but i will miss flying through thr gears on a 5 speed. its only for a few months.

2nd Choice- Not really an option anymore, the owner is beginning to be weary of my carfax and background checking skills- a 1996 Honda Passport.

features include, power windows (drivers side doesnt work), window tint that is falling off windows (i have a connection i can get that taken care of). it has a ticking in the motor (like a penny on a wooden table) which i have been told was only a lifter and easily fixed. i believed thats what it was when i first heard it but my mechanic neighhbor then confirmed my suspiscions. as long as its not a rod (and its not) its ok with me. has working A/C, Automatic trans, 4x4, power locks, miirors, the works. DOES NOT HAVE AN INSPECTION. this is where it gets tricky, i refuse to buy the vehicle if it doesnt pass a state inspection first. he wont get it inspected, so this pretty much rules it out, he knows a reason why it will fail, and thereofre willnot get it done, even when i offered to pay for it. Price: (lowballed) @ $1700, he was asking $2200. for the condition of the vehicle, i dont think im asking that much.

3rd choice (not even sure yet if its for sale)- 1984 (ish) Toyota Pickup. 2.4L 4 cylinder TURBO .

it is an extended cab. 4 speed with O/D (5 speed). only 85,000 original miloes, and the truck is immaculate, the paint has faded, but i can paint it, not a problem.
Asking price: $1,000.

or i can look in the paper/used car lots for better deals. i have to stay under $2500 and i cant find any more tours, at least not ones that havent been beat to hell.

Regards, Cole. Relegating to troll status sometime this week. New Whip: 1990 Lexus ES250. Old Hotness: 1995 GL MTX Zetec *IN TRIAGE* "I had a little friend once, but it dont move no more... "
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Passports/Rodeos are pretty good li'l SUV's. I'd say go with that one, if you can get a deal. Just make sure he's maintained it, and you shouldn't have any major problems.

* Marine Officer Candidate * My Cardomain Page 1998 EO Black SVTC #3388
T
Highly Medicated Member
Highly Medicated Member
T
I don't know the implications of failing an inspection, but don't buy unless A) the sale is contingent upon a pass, or B)The asking price is reduced by the cost of whatever it takes to make the car pass.

Beyond that, I say keep looking. There are deals to be had. Good Luck.

Mark

Semper Fi "They've got us surrounded. Poor bastards." -Chesty
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
All I can say is I had a Passport, bought it with 89k on it. I beat the heck out of the thing, even rolled it once in Leadville. That was one tough SUV, ended up having 301k miles on it and it actually got stolen from me when I lived in Aurora Colorado. Never recovered.

S
Stryker Offline OP
OP Offline
S
dayum!! thay must eb tough then...ikll consider it...

NEW LEAD:

1989 Volvo 240 GL Wagon

2.3L L4 FI SOHC, comes with kenwood CD player, Speedo Doesnt work. no rust, new tires, tags and inspection. asking $1450 NEG.

ill go see it on wednesday and if its in good shape, i may just write him a check there.

Regards, Cole. Relegating to troll status sometime this week. New Whip: 1990 Lexus ES250. Old Hotness: 1995 GL MTX Zetec *IN TRIAGE* "I had a little friend once, but it dont move no more... "
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Honestly, whether temporary or permanent, I would go with the 626. It's the only one in immaculate condition, has the features and options that will help it retain its value when you do go to sell it, and will provide you a good few months of driving. Out of your selections, it's probably the only one that will allow you spirited driving as well.

Newest, best condition, most features, least sketchy background ... I don't see how you can consider any others.

S
Stryker Offline OP
OP Offline
S
all the other cars have good backgrounds considering their age/use (the passsport was a pizza delvery for 2 years )

but something tells me this volvo might actually be the way to go...granted the 626 might last me longer, but those volvos are safe SOB's, i also liek what it did to my ins. $110 a month for liablilty.
i will see tomorrow what happenes with the 626...i really woudl ratherhave that. even if i have to ride a bike for a week to get it.

and at thios point, im not looking at spirited driving, having airbags go off in your face can have an effect on you liek you would not believe...my desire to zoom around on the streets ahs almost completely gone away.

P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
provided you keep up on the simple things, volvo 240's are 200k-300k+ mile cars, definite tanks. Gets my vote.

"Bros before Hoes" <-- More men need this mentality.
S
Stryker Offline OP
OP Offline
S
al;l service records are acoounted for. its a 1 owner car. never raced (how can a volvo with a 4 cylinder be raced???) and oil every 3K...shall we try synthetic??? or stick to valvoline high mileage???

S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by Stryker:
never raced (how can a volvo with a 4 cylinder be raced???)

Hah, hah, hah, hah..... Pretty easily.

-06 GTO Torrid Red/M6 -98 LS with BPU -05 Honda Odyssey EX-L mv .zig ..\for\great\.justice
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard