Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Jeb Hoge_dup1 Mazda 3... - 07/17/04 10:09 PM
Just test-drove a Mazda 3s hatch MTX. I *like* it...pulls hard, handles well, basically like a smaller, sportier Six but with better throttle response. Basically, just what I'd like from a new car right now. The saleswoman must have been fairly new because she INSISTED on giving me the full open-all-doors walkaround, even though I told her I was a car nut and that we had a Six. And she looked disappointed when I said I wasn't making any decisions yet. She also told me that other than a $500 loyalty bonus for being a return customer, they weren't willing to deal at ALL on the car. Nice one, lady.
Posted By: perry_dup1 Re: Mazda 3... - 07/17/04 10:55 PM
I wish there was a Mazda dealership in my town. I'd like to try out a Mazda3, they look like pretty nifty cars.

I think they are turning out to be pretty popular cars. The closest Mazda dealership, according to Mazda's online thing, has 1 five speed hatchback in stock. But surprised that they aren't willing to deal, since 05's have gotta be just around the corner.
Posted By: Horse_dup1 Re: Mazda 3... - 07/17/04 11:27 PM
Me too - I like the 3's a lot - but I got a killer deal on my Mazdaspeed Protege -

I would LOVE to get a MS3 - if they ever come out with one
Posted By: Outback Gal_dup1 Re: Mazda 3... - 07/17/04 11:27 PM
My Dad purchased a Mazda3 s 4-door mtx and is now anxiously awaiting its arrival...so much so that he has been checking the ship arrivals at the port of Seattle to see if any have come in from Japan! It is a nice car...he's upgrading from an old 626, so I guess you could say he's become a loyal Mazda guy!

Lance is drooling to drive the car.

=) Christy
Posted By: Stryker Re: Mazda 3... - 07/17/04 11:52 PM
i was looking at the ass end of one today and wondered what an SVT ass would look like molded to it...can someone knock up a chop (mikey????)
Posted By: Red92784 Re: Mazda 3... - 07/17/04 11:57 PM
The first time I see someone put a big a** shoping cart handle on one I'm gonna run em' off the road.
Posted By: Jeb Hoge_dup1 Re: Mazda 3... - 07/18/04 12:33 AM
I do think the sedans need the factory wing back there to finish off the profile. The trunk is too stubby by itself, IMO. With the factory wing, it really adds to the resemblance to the RX-8.
Posted By: perry_dup1 Re: Mazda 3... - 07/18/04 12:48 AM
They have two types of spoilers for the sedan -- a little lip and a a slightly raised wing. The hatchback is my favorite look because of that stubby rear on the sedan.

Christy, I've heard that the paint on the Mazda3 is very soft and likes to get rock chips. Maybe your dad should look in to some of that 3M paint protection film stuff to avoid rock chips. Allow him to drive it without being so anxious about dinging up the front end. And tell the dealer not to wax it and swirl it up, let Lance do that in exchange for a drive

After being out for only a year, they have a ton of body kits. Couple CAI kits, cat back systems, Eibach springs.. Seems like some aftermarket companies see some future for the car
Posted By: Horse_dup1 Re: Mazda 3... - 07/18/04 12:55 AM

Posted By: Stryker Re: Mazda 3... - 07/18/04 12:57 AM
i still would like to see an SVT rear bumper molded to one, i think it would go good with the lines...
Posted By: Outback Gal_dup1 Re: Mazda 3... - 07/18/04 02:10 AM
Originally posted by Horse:

That is the color my Dad is getting. We all love it. My mom on the other hand isn't as swayed by it. He has waited a long time to get a new car...he is upgrading from a 1985 626! He loved that car, he even put a Japanese 30K engine in it when the original wore out. He loves working on cars and found that one to be easy to work with. He also has a long commute and didn't want to put a lot of miles on a new car. However, the old 626 is having problems pop up often now and he didn't really trust it anymore.

Perry, I'll let my Dad know about the soft paint. I'm sure Lance could be swayed to bring all his car goodies over and let my Dad go to town. Who knows, Alexa and I may not see them again for awhile once they are done!

=) Christy
Posted By: Jeb Hoge_dup1 Re: Mazda 3... - 07/18/04 02:56 AM
Oh, the other thing about this one I drove was that it already had a scratch dragged through one side of the front bumper. Ouch...
Posted By: TBoomer Re: Mazda 3... - 07/18/04 03:39 AM

Pure Sex!
Posted By: perry_dup1 Re: Mazda 3... - 07/18/04 04:07 AM
Originally posted by Outback Gal:
Who knows, Alexa and I may not see them again for awhile once they are done!

In Japan, the Mazda3 is known as the Axela... I wonder what car is in your future
Posted By: Stryker Re: Mazda 3... - 07/18/04 04:23 AM
Originally posted by t-red2000se:

Pure Sex!

that front bumper is the most disgusting thing i have seen ina while. look at the grille...very 5th gen (1997-2000) civic-esque
Posted By: SAV Re: Mazda 3... - 07/18/04 06:01 AM
Originally posted by Stryker:
that front bumper is the most disgusting thing i have seen ina while. look at the grille...very 5th gen (1997-2000) civic-esque

You're on your own there bud. At least that looks miles better than grafting on a CSVT rear bumper.
Posted By: sigma Re: Mazda 3... - 07/18/04 07:17 AM
Quote:

Christy, I've heard that the paint on the Mazda3 is very soft and likes to get rock chips.

Unfortunately, this problem isn't confined to just the Mazda3. My Mazda6 has gotten more paint chips in it in 7 months than my Contour has gotten in 7 years. I get one good chip in the hood about every 4 weeks.
Posted By: 97Tour Re: Mazda 3... - 07/18/04 07:26 AM
I had the Mazda 3 for over 6 months now. I been finding out there are some paint chips on the front bumber, but I went to the dealer and the treat me really well and gave me some touch up paint for free and they wash my car and waxed it.

Other then that the car is a blast, handles really good.

But once in a while I still like to drive around in my old 97 Contour though.

Posted By: Jeb Hoge_dup1 Re: Mazda 3... - 07/18/04 01:47 PM
Originally posted by SAV-ZX2:
Originally posted by Stryker:

You're on your own there bud. At least that looks miles better than grafting on a CSVT rear bumper.

Looks like they're trying to blend Jetta and Civic looks onto the 3.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Mazda 3... - 07/18/04 04:07 PM

Pure Sex!

Posted By: Jason43 Re: Mazda 3... - 07/19/04 12:07 AM
I like these cars alot. If they make a Mazdaspeed model, I may need to have one.
Posted By: kerrychin_dup1 Re: Mazda 3... - 07/24/04 06:05 PM
Sweet car, I drove a hatchback auto with the 2.3 and SportShift last week. In fact, I'm going back today to try a GT with 5-speed.

I loved the RX-8, but the fuel economy is a turn-off.

I'd say it handles as well as the SVT Focus, except the rubber gives up much sooner (crappy all-season tires).

And the engine pulls harder than the SVT Zetec. But it's hard to tell from the butt-dyno, because the gauges on the 3 are all skewed.

Kerry
Posted By: sigma Re: Mazda 3... - 07/24/04 07:38 PM
Quote:

And the engine pulls harder than the SVT Zetec. But it's hard to tell from the butt-dyno, because the gauges on the 3 are all skewed.

I assume you mean SVT Contour, and no, it's not quite as hard as the Contour. Close though. It'll run a 1/4 in the mid-high 15s.
Posted By: amarv12_dup1 Re: Mazda 3... - 07/24/04 07:47 PM
Originally posted by sigma:
Quote:

I assume you mean SVT Contour, and no, it's not quite as hard as the Contour. Close though. It'll run a 1/4 in the mid-high 15s.

Why would you assume that? He's talking about the SVT zetec in the SVT Farcus.
Posted By: sigma Re: Mazda 3... - 07/24/04 07:49 PM
Haha.. My bad. No idea why that didn't dawn on me.
Posted By: mbRentalEnvoy Re: Mazda 3... - 07/24/04 08:30 PM
Originally posted by sigma:
Haha.. My bad. No idea why that didn't dawn on me.

lol... he even said it one line above that!

Originally posted by kerrychin:

I'd say it handles as well as the SVT Focus, except the rubber gives up much sooner (crappy all-season tires).

Kerry

Posted By: sigma Re: Mazda 3... - 07/24/04 09:08 PM
Yeah, I know. That's what got me. I thought he was referring to a totally different car. My thought track was "Well, he already mentioned the Focus, the only other SVT car he could be thinking of is the Contour".

Posted By: kerrychin_dup1 Re: Mazda 3... - 07/24/04 09:41 PM
Yes, I meant the 160 hp 2.3L in the Mazda3 pulls harder than the 170 hp 2.0L in the SVT Focus. I found the gearing all wrong in the SVT Focus - too high.

Today I tried a ZX5 Focus...that is a great suspension setup for everyday driving. Doesn't crash over bumps like the 3, and grips nearly as well. Not quite as tossable, but perhaps a better compromise.

Kerry
© CEG Archives