Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Goonz SVT Airbus A380 FINISHED!! - 01/10/05 04:06 AM
this is insane, looks ugly as my ex gf. I'd never fly that

A380
Posted By: sigma Re: Airbus A380 FINISHED!! - 01/10/05 04:07 AM
It's all in the eye of the beholder. I've always been a huge fan of Airbus planes. I look forward to flying one of these in a few years.
Posted By: m!key Re: Airbus A380 FINISHED!! - 01/10/05 04:08 AM
wow you can fit 400 regular people in there or 7000 pakistanis.
Posted By: sigma Re: Airbus A380 FINISHED!! - 01/10/05 04:11 AM
Originally posted by mikey boy:

Actually, almost 600 people depending on the configuration. So that would make it about 10,000 Pakistanis.
Posted By: Davo Re: Airbus A380 FINISHED!! - 01/10/05 04:11 AM
...with room to spare in the cupholders.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Airbus A380 FINISHED!! - 01/10/05 04:12 AM
Originally posted by sigma:
It's all in the eye of the beholder. I've always been a huge fan of Airbus planes. I look forward to flying one of these in a few years.

dont get me wrong, the A330's and the A34-600 are beautiful ariplanes!! i love them but not the A380, thats just insane

hahahahaha I'm thinking 7000 Paki's. God I'd hate to be in that flight
Posted By: m!key Re: Airbus A380 FINISHED!! - 01/10/05 04:15 AM
if PIA (Please Inform Allah) gets a hold of one of these you know what it will look like.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Airbus A380 FINISHED!! - 01/10/05 04:22 AM
if PIA (Please Inform Allah) gets a hold of one of these you know what it will look like.

or PIA (perhaps I arrive)
(im making fun of my own people..soo sad..but its soo true)

Last time I flew PIA was like when I was a baby. I swore I'd never fly again, its hell in the airline, kids screaming, paki brothers smelling like BO, deoderent un-heard off by everyone. Its HORRIBLE. I fly emirates or British Airways.

PIA wont be purchasing anymore airplanes. They recently 2 years ago purchased 2 brand new 777-200ER's (that were delivered last year), 3 777-200LR's (to be delivered) and 2 777-300ER (to be delivered). thats insane my friends those of you who know what I'm talking about
Posted By: sigma Re: Airbus A380 FINISHED!! - 01/10/05 04:37 AM
Quote:

PIA wont be purchasing anymore airplanes. They recently 2 years ago purchased 2 brand new 777-200ER's (that were delivered last year), 3 777-200LR's (to be delivered) and 2 777-300ER (to be delivered). thats insane my friends those of you who know what I'm talking about

That whole deal stank.

A near-bankrupt airline places a $1.X billion order for a brand new airplane line that hadn't been used in revenue service before, immediately after the US government had forgiven Pakistan of $1B in debt and even had a US bank guarantee the loan. It was a gesture of goodwill at best; there's no way PIA could have made a deal for any new planes, let alone 11 of the best in the world, if not for the US gov't.

Of course Airbus and France/UK/EU has pulled many similar stunts in the past, so I can't blame Boeing or the US for doing it.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Airbus A380 FINISHED!! - 01/10/05 05:04 AM

That whole deal stank.

A near-bankrupt airline places a $1.X billion order for a brand new airplane line that hadn't been used in revenue service before, immediately after the US government had forgiven Pakistan of $1B in debt and even had a US bank guarantee the loan. It was a gesture of goodwill at best; there's no way PIA could have made a deal for any new planes, let alone 11 of the best in the world, if not for the US gov't.

Of course Airbus and France/UK/EU has pulled many similar stunts in the past, so I can't blame Boeing or the US for doing it.

PIA was never near bankrupt. I mean seriously, they have daily flights from JFK (via manchester U.K) to Pakistan. All those flights are fully packed and sometimes 50% overbooked. PIA is the only airline that comes Pakistan too. Pakistan has such high demand on taxes that big named airlines such as Lufthansa, KLM etc..ended up cancelling all their routes to Pakistan. So far the major airlines comming to Pakistan are Emirates, PIA and British Airways (only to Islamabad too) PIA for most has the monopoly here. They are like 70% government owned or private, I'm not sure. But all in all, PIA was never near bankrupt and they are sure as hell not pulling outa this deal. They have been saving all this money just for this, If u look at their current fleet, they operate one of the oldest 747-200's, like since 1977!!! thats insane!! Thats why they have all this money, they always leased planes (mainly cathay pacific 747-300) THey never bought new planes, up in till now. PIA is very well off. They are now expanding their routes in the U.S...latest being Houston
Posted By: sigma Re: Airbus A380 FINISHED!! - 01/10/05 05:28 AM
Quote:

PIA was never near bankrupt. I mean seriously, they have daily flights from JFK (via manchester U.K) to Pakistan.

USAir has flights all around the world and they're damn near liquidation.

Until 2 years ago, PIA was hemmoraging money for over a decade; even when annoucing the purchase deal Boeing, in its' press release stated: "For many years airplane industry officials said Pakistan International Airlines would not return to profitability, renew its fleet or extend its route network."

And, according to numerous experts PIA is actually in worse shape than ever before and has been manipulating the books the past 2 years to say othewise. All evidence most certainly points towards that and independent analysts and the international aviation community agrees.

Quote:

They have been saving all this money just for this, If u look at their current fleet, they operate one of the oldest 747-200's, like since 1977!!! thats insane!! Thats why they have all this money, they always leased planes (mainly cathay pacific 747-300)

Saving money? That's not what their financial statements say. They had no cash at all which is why the US government had to back their loans to purchase the new aircraft.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Airbus A380 FINISHED!! - 01/10/05 05:41 AM

Saving money? That's not what their financial statements say. They had no cash at all which is why the US government had to back their loans to purchase the new aircraft.

well I guess thats what the Pakistani government gets for halping the US fight the war against terror....kinds
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: Airbus A380 FINISHED!! - 01/10/05 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:

A380

I think it looks old. (I don't know anything about planes, though, just the shape of it...)
Posted By: SVTNupe_dup1 Re: Airbus A380 FINISHED!! - 01/10/05 01:28 PM
You'd never fly that, Goonz? You must not be a pilot!
Posted By: baco99 Re: Airbus A380 FINISHED!! - 01/10/05 02:02 PM
how the drugs does that thing fly? it's HUGE!
Posted By: Jeb Hoge_dup1 Re: Airbus A380 FINISHED!! - 01/10/05 03:09 PM
Originally posted by baco99:
how the drugs does that thing fly? it's HUGE!

It IS huge, so big that most airports will have to build new facilities to accomodate it. I have a feeling it's going to go the way of the Concorde...when Concordes were introduced, lots of airlines were interested and placed orders, but most orders got cancelled before delivery.
Posted By: Stazi Re: Airbus A380 FINISHED!! - 01/10/05 03:11 PM

A380

Explain how it is ugly? What are you basing it against, and F-16??

It's a frikkin airliner. Looks like a generic airliner, just bigger.

In any case, I couldn't give a crap how it looks as long as I'm comfy, safe and it gets to my destination quickly and QUIETLY!
Posted By: sigma Re: Airbus A380 FINISHED!! - 01/10/05 03:40 PM
Quote:

It IS huge, so big that most airports will have to build new facilities to accomodate it.

Airports began these changes almost 5 years ago, they wanted this change which is why Boeing wasn't able to sell any of it's proposed new 747X and Airbus sold dozens of the A380. It just didn't make economic sense to keep using the 747 fuse. Airbus designed the A380 with Airports. This is what they wanted to do.

It is far easier and cheaper for them to upgrade what is there to handle larger aircraft than to build more of what they have to handle a larger number of aircraft on the ground. Fewer larger aircraft is a great deal more cheaper, easier, and more efficient to accomodate than a greater nunmber of smaller aircraft. Aircraft movements are expensive, and fewer, larger aircraft means fewer movements. Fewer aircraft mean less redundancy -- less gates, less taxiways, and less runways.

Many large airports have long ago reached capacity, which is why many large cities have 2, 3, 4 airports. Airport expansions cost billions; it will cost an average of just $100M to upgrade an airport to handle the A380. Airports built in the last 20 years accomodate the A380 at almost no cost at all.

Will every airport change? No, of course not. Less than 300 airports in the world accomodate the 747 and it's been around for some 30 years. They didn't change because they didn't need to, and most won't change for the A380. Only 2 dozen airports will need to accomodate the A380 by the year 2010 (up to a maximum of 60 depending on final route choices), only 9 of those are in the US. Almost every airport had completed the physical plant changes or had the plans submitted to the FAA by the end of 2003, a long time ago, and 22 airports will be ready by the time they are needed. The only thing that largely remains is ground operations handling; things like catering trucks and jetways that need to reach the upper level. But that's small potatoes compared to the physical plant upgrades.

Quote:

I have a feeling it's going to go the way of the Concorde...when Concordes were introduced, lots of airlines were interested and placed orders, but most orders got cancelled before delivery.

Airlines didn't cancel the Concorde because they and passengers didn't want it, they cancelled the Concorde orders because the Oil Crisis made the price of jet fuel increase exponentially. It no longer made economic sense to use them. On the other hand, the economics behind the A380 become more and more apparent everyday which is why orders are still coming in.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Airbus A380 FINISHED!! - 01/10/05 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Kane:
I think it looks old. (I don't know anything about planes, though, just the shape of it...)

Reminds me of the old OVERSIZED guppie transport. Remember that thing??
Posted By: WestCoastAjax Re: Airbus A380 FINISHED!! - 01/10/05 04:32 PM
Thank you 'sigma'.
Note its called airBUS. Its cheaper to fly 400 people than 100. I believe its the wave of the future. And by the ways , we will all be packies - see all transits systems at rush hour. Imagine these aircraft with shuttle seating......I bet they could fit 600.....
Posted By: sigma Re: Airbus A380 FINISHED!! - 01/10/05 04:33 PM
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
Originally posted by Kane:

Reminds me of the old OVERSIZED guppie transport. Remember that thing??

Airbus still uses it. It's designed to fly fuselage portions from one facility to another for completion.
Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Re: Airbus A380 FINISHED!! - 01/10/05 05:14 PM

A380

was your ex g/f from Bangladesh. . .hello, thank you, come again!
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Airbus A380 FINISHED!! - 01/10/05 05:25 PM
Originally posted by ssmumich00:

A380

was your ex g/f from Bangladesh. . .hello, thank you, come again!

hahahaha NO thankfully!!
Thank YOU, come again!!!

That thing is nothing compared to the 747. The 747 has made its mark in the sky as the king and nothin, even the A380 can take it away.
Posted By: SVTNupe_dup1 Re: Airbus A380 FINISHED!! - 01/10/05 06:27 PM
The wave of the future might actually be AirTaxis which I hope to be able to cash in on one day. I personally prefer being able to fly in to much smaller, commuter or municple airports as oppose to DFW, ORD, ATL, etc. If only the cost of insurance wasn't so dog gone high I could actually afford my airplane!
Posted By: Pete D_dup1 Re: Airbus A380 FINISHED!! - 01/10/05 06:42 PM

Airlines didn't cancel the Concorde because they and passengers didn't want it, they cancelled the Concorde orders because the Oil Crisis made the price of jet fuel increase exponentially. It no longer made economic sense to use them. On the other hand, the economics behind the A380 become more and more apparent everyday which is why orders are still coming in.

I saw a documentary on the concorde a few weeks ago and they said the leading cause of its failure was the fact that it could only be flown into a very small number of aiports because of the noise. Yes, it did have high (comparibly) operating and maintaince costs, because it was WAY ahead of it's time.

I don't think huge planes are going to be all that popular in the future, people don't want to drive to one of the huge airports than can accomidate these things and spend the large amount of time loading and unloading everything (people and luggage), even if they use multiple jetways. The only real advantage of jumbo jets, IMO, is range. You can't fly a 737 halfway around the world without refueling, but these things can.

That airbus is pretty damn ugly for an airliner if you ask me. I am somewhat suprised that nobody commented on it being made by the French.
Posted By: sigma Re: Airbus A380 FINISHED!! - 01/10/05 06:56 PM
Quote:

That thing is nothing compared to the 747. The 747 has made its mark in the sky as the king and nothin, even the A380 can take it away.

Well kings might be remembered forever but they all eventually must give up the throne.

The 747 is all but dead. Boeing hasn't received an order for a passenger variant in years (since the A380 announcement) and has only received orders for 10 of them the past 5 years, all of which have been delivered. The only thing saving the 747 is the freight version and that's only because freight carriers fly to many places that won't be capable of handling the A380 for some time. But Boeing is still building more 747s every year than are being ordered, it will exaust its' entire backlog in just a few years (a fact that actually applies to all of Boeing's aircraft, just moreso the 747) shutting down the 747 line for the first time in 40 years.

Unless Boeing can somehow drum up some sales, the A380 is a major failure come airworthiness tests, or the air-freight market grows at an unexpected pace, production of the 747 will end by about 2010.
Posted By: sigma Re: Airbus A380 FINISHED!! - 01/10/05 07:03 PM
Quote:

I don't think huge planes are going to be all that popular in the future, people don't want to drive to one of the huge airports than can accomidate these things

You won't have to drive to the huge airports to fly them. These planes, like the 747s do today, will leave from the central hubs and fly to other central hubs. Chances are, unless you live in New York or LA, you'll fly a smaller plane to the larger airport, then get on the larger plane, just as most people do today.

Quote:

and spend the large amount of time loading and unloading everything (people and luggage), even if they use multiple jetways.

The A380 uses 4 jetways, the 747 only 1. That's 400% more capacity for a plane that only holds 20% more people. One of the major selling points for the A380 is the speed of which it unloads and loads. Gate dwell is too expensive for an airline to want an aircraft to sit there for hours.
© CEG Archives