Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives

Blue America: The land of the easily offended
By Dennis Prager
�© 2004 Creators Syndicate

Commentators on our country explain our blue-red division in many ways ââ?¬â?? liberal-conservative; secular-religious; North-South; coasts-heartland; singles-married with children.

I propose one more explanation: the easily offended-the not so easily offended.

With the acknowledgment that there are many individual exceptions, a major defining characteristic of modern-day liberalism is the ease with which liberals take offense personally and/or on behalf of others.

Liberals regularly portray as offended women, African Americans, Jews, American Indians, gays and every other group liberals declare a minority, i.e., any group that votes Democrat ââ?¬â?? no group that votes Republican, such as Mormons, Cuban Americans and Vietnamese Americans, is considered a "minority." All other groups are constantly warned that almost anything they say that is not patronizing of those groups is offensive (and therefore subject to litigation).

Having given thousands of lectures across the country and on all seven continents (yes, Antarctica, too) over the past 30 years, I can vouch for the personal-offense element. I am continually astounded at how often members of the audience (usually liberal women) will say they are offended by something I said, when what they really mean is that they don't agree with me.

It is most unlikely that conservative men or women speak that way ââ?¬â?? saying, "I am offended" ââ?¬â?? when they hear liberal speakers.

For one thing, conservatives are so used to being labeled as stupid, bigoted, ignorant, racist, homophobic, sexist, insensitive and intolerant that it is almost impossible to offend them. Moreover, the culture does not allow them to feel offended, since they are not an officially designated minority.

For another, liberal positions are far more emotion-based than reason-based.

To cite but one of many examples, take the widely held liberal slogan "War is not the answer." It is pure irrationality. War has ended more evil than anything the left has ever thought of. In the last 60 years alone, it ended Nazism and the Holocaust; it saved half of Korea from genocide; it kept Israel from national extinction and a second Holocaust; it saved Finland from becoming a Stalinist totalitarian state; and according to most of the people who put "War is not the answer" stickers on their bumpers, it saved Bosnian Muslims from ethnic cleansing.

The list of irrational, feelings-based liberal positions is almost as long as the list of contemporary liberal positions. The relevant point here is that people who take positions based on feelings will of necessity take disagreement more personally and feel offended more often than others.

Liberals' claims of being offended themselves or on behalf of a selected group are almost endless.

Liberal Jews and non-Jews claim that "Merry Christmas" offends Jews and other non-Christians. That 90 percent of Americans celebrate Christmas is of no importance to the easily offended.

Liberal blacks and other liberals see racism almost everywhere in America. To cite a typical example, the absence of black musicians in major orchestras has frequently been named as an example of white racism, despite the fact that many orchestras audition musicians behind a curtain. To non-liberals, the reason probably lies in the fact that few black kids learn to play the oboe or viola. And the sad result of liberals taking offense at so much white behavior is that many whites now talk very guardedly and unnaturally to blacks.

Liberal American Indian spokesmen and other liberals regularly tell us how offensive Indian names of sports teams are. The latest polls show that most Indians have no problem with such names, but liberals are still offended on their behalf. To make the point of how offensive the name "Indians" is for the Cleveland baseball team, one liberal caller once asked me, "How would you feel if a team were named 'Jews'?" I told him that it would be a great day in Jewish history ââ?¬â?? for 3,000 years, Jews have been looking for fans.

Part of America remains the Land of the Free and Home of the Brave. An almost equally large part is now the Land of the Easily Offended and the Home of the Hypersensitive. Which land we become is a big part of the second American civil war we are fighting.
right, because bible-thumping religous conservatives never get offended, right?
two thumbs up :-)

Oh, that might offend some liberals with no thumbs.

I give that an A+, damn it, that might offend the stupid liberals.

Good read! Errr, I mean, that might offend Liberals who can't read!

andways :-)
If you read the article it states:
"It is most unlikely that conservative men or women speak that way ââ?¬â?? saying, "I am offended" ââ?¬â?? when they hear liberal speakers."

Meaning, that conservatives don't jump to the 'I"m offended'....

Originally posted by MxRacerCam:

They do get offended by things, they're just not "allowed" to claim to be offended because they're not a minority. And when they do make a claim, they get terms like "racist" or "ignorant" thrown at them.

No, we get offended every once in a while, we just know that people who speak harsh words about us are just ignorant. So we forgive them & go on our merry way.

Merry Christmas.
a perfect example of reverse liberalism whining.

give that guy a tissue.
"Liberal Jews and non-Jews claim that "Merry Christmas" offends Jews and other non-Christians. That 90 percent of Americans celebrate Christmas is of no importance to the easily offended. "

So, if a Jew or non-Jew is not offended, it means they are not Liberal?
Originally posted by BP:

give that guy a tissue.

Translation: The guy speaks the truth and I can't deal with it.
Originally posted by TourDeForce:

No, we get offended every once in a while, we just know that people who speak harsh words about us are just ignorant. So we forgive them & go on our merry way.

Merry Christmas.

Ditto.

<-- liberal
Originally posted by PackRat:
Originally posted by BP:

give that guy a tissue.

lol. that guy whines just as much as the people he's pointing fingers at.

pot to kettle.
Quote:

For one thing, conservatives are so used to being labeled as stupid, bigoted, ignorant, racist, homophobic, sexist, insensitive and intolerant that it is almost impossible to offend them.

Tough to argue the contrary when the evidence is so overwhelming I guess.

Originally posted by BP:
Originally posted by BP:

give that guy a tissue.

pot to kettle.

Too bad he's Jewish because that throws out any arguments about him being an ignorant WASP.
What just strikes me as offensive about blue-state elitism is that they really don't feel that their own rules about racism, discrimination, how they state opinions, etc., apply to them. Hillary Clinton makes a joke about Mahatma Gandhi running a gas station down in St. Louis and is surprised when the M.K. Gandhi Institute for Nonviolence asks for an apology. My wife saw editorial cartoons depicting Condi Rice as Prissy from Gone With The Wind (paraphrasing "I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' babies") the day after she was selected as Secretary Of State, the highest political office ever for a black woman. A long-sitting Democrat congressman for my district has made anti-Semitic remarks more than once and keeps getting re-elected because he's just so entrenched that no one can outspend him.

The common thread is that they believe that because they supposedly represent these people more than their conservative opposites do, that they've got a license to use the imagery that they've deemed inappropriate for the rest of us. And they don't understand that that's not fair.
Originally posted by daenku32:
"Liberal Jews and non-Jews claim that "Merry Christmas" offends Jews and other non-Christians. That 90 percent of Americans celebrate Christmas is of no importance to the easily offended. "

No, it just means that additional clarification and differentiation is needed here.

Some liberals are quite resilient and stolid in their beliefs and don't feel the need to champion every cause that unthinking myopia allows others of their ilk to constantly trip over. Dare I say they are grounded and thoughtful in their philosophy and have defendable positions that don't default to knee-jerk slogans and bumper-sticker mentalities.

The "other" liberals that I speak of are liberals that carry the "offend me" albatross around their neck are the "Perpetual Panties in a Twist" liberals. It's almost a religion unto itself these days and is damn-well near a plague in that emotion seems to serve as a substitute as careful and subjective thought...

Don't let the fact escape you that there exists a right-wing element that shows the same knee-jerk reaction towards anything they consider "immoral" (i.e., Sesame Street animals talking being demonic). It's the flip-side of this philosophical coin as emotion combined with convictions allow a very similar "emotional" response that seems to have little backing besides feelings and a mantra that has been shoved down their throats. This certainly doens't rule them out as being conservative, though.

To wrap this little discourse up, I do seem to run into FAR more unthinking, knee-jerk liberals than conservatives, though.
You're all a bunch of whiney pussies really.
So explain to me how this ISN'T just your average liberal v. conservatism dribble? I thought he was going towards a "easily offended v. not so easily offended argument...

Conservatives, your job is to tell the world to shutup and do what your government tells you, and Liberals, you are supposed to stand up for those that can't make their voice heard. I see no difference in this guys essay that varies from that model. Don't care how many continents he's been to, we have a Democracy for a reason and it's not so guys like him can try and stifle the opinions of others. You can mark me down for someone that's gonna call that conservative "ignorant".

Packrat, I apologize for insulting your patriotic little speech of "Majority Rules!, so HA!" here.

They do get offended by things, they're just not "allowed" to claim to be offended because they're not a minority. And when they do make a claim, they get terms like "racist" or "ignorant" thrown at them.

Hey, if the shoe fits...
Originally posted by zgendron:

Hey, if the shoe fits...

Talk about being narrow minded and stupid...oh wait, you're a liberal douche, never mind.

Hey, if the shoe fits...

Talk about being narrow minded and stupid...oh wait, you're a liberal douche, never mind.

And I'm the narrow minded and stupid one? Comeon, what is this, 6th grade name calling? Seriously, grow up.

Hey, if the shoe fits...

And I'm the narrow minded and stupid one? Comeon, what is this, 6th grade name calling? Seriously, grow up.

I guess my description hit home.

Hey, if the shoe fits...

How so?

Hey, if the shoe fits...

How so?

Because you're clearly a liberal douche. Only a liberal douche would dismiss conservatives as all ignorant, racist, etc.

Comeon, what is this, 6th grade name calling?

Threads involving Packrat usually end up there.
Originally posted by spgoode:

It's not namecalling when it's an accurate description.

And how is it an accurate description? Do tell.

Asked and answered.

Asked and answered.

No, I still don't see how you've answered the question. Mind explaining it to me?

In fact, I'm willing to be that I'm not the only one on this site a little sick of your flagerant insulting and complete disregard for anyone elses opinion.

Isn't there another site you can troll around?

Asked and answered.

No, I still don't see how you've answered the question. Mind explaining it to me?

"Only a liberal douche would dismiss conservatives as all ignorant, racist, etc."

Quote:

In fact, I'm willing to be that I'm not the only one on this site a little sick of your flagerant insulting and complete disregard for anyone elses opinion.

Want a tissue?

Quote:

Isn't there another site you can troll around?

If you don't like the way I post, perhaps coming into my thread to add your two cents was a bad idea?
Originally posted by BP:

pot to kettle.

Too bad he's Jewish because that throws out any arguments about him being an ignorant WASP.

you lost me...

either you're bored and felt like starting something just for the heck of it or you're having a bad day and felt like taking it out on whomever doesn't stand next to you in your admiration for that guys pov.

either way it's cool, we're still partners in trolldom. :P

"Only a liberal douche would dismiss conservatives as all ignorant, racist, etc."

Huh, not really sure where I painted that "all" brush, espeically where I don't believe it. Perhaps a little reading comprehension could possibly help you. I know, you're conservative and probably believe the school systems do not require any additional funding.

With that said, I cannot say I've met many (if any) liberal racists. That doesn't mean they aren't out there. However, much like most of "easily offended" are liberals, I'd say most of the "racists" are conservative. Hence my comment about "if the shoe fits..."

Want a tissue?

No, not at all. I would, however, like more constructive arguements out of you. Not the typical internet thug Name Calling that you seem to degrade to in any attack of your opinion. But, that might require you to put together an intelligent response, and could be asking too much of you.

If you don't like the way I post, perhaps coming into my thread to add your two cents was a bad idea?

LOL! I like how this is "your thread." Thought this was CEGs thread. Besides, what's stopped you from going into other people's threads (since they appear to have ownership now) and doing the exact same thing to them? Doesn't really matter who started the thread, now does it?

Also, not really sure how having and expressing an opinion is a bad idea. Although I'm sure you'd be happier to silence all those that disagree with you, similar to WWII maybe?

But back to the original question? How am I a douche? Or, did you simply misread my statement?

Huh, not really sure where I painted that "all" brush, espeically where I don't believe it. Perhaps a little reading comprehension could possibly help you. I know, you're conservative and probably believe the school systems do not require any additional funding.

With that said, I cannot say I've met many (if any) liberal racists. That doesn't mean they aren't out there. However, much like most of "easily offended" are liberals, I'd say most of the "racists" are conservative. Hence my comment about "if the shoe fits..."

Since you couldn't leave well enough alone.

The way liberals treat minorities is racist. Liberals only care about Blacks, Mexicans, etc. when it comes to elections. You feed us a line about how you understand how hard it is for us to succeed, throw a few dollars at us by way of social services and food stamps, but don't do a damn thing constructive to help us. Then you turn around and accuse conservatives of racism if they dare suggest that we minorities should do such things as do for ourselves and clean up our own communities. You've got the minority communities so dependent on social programs and welfare that they can't think for themselves. You've managed to trade one way to keep minorities down for another. Congrats, you suceeded where the segregationists failed. Thank God the majority of this country saw through the smoke screen you tried to pass off as President, with his grandios "plan" that nobody could figure out.

You want to see who's the real racists in this country? Look in the mirror while you hold up your DNC membership card.

Quote:

But back to the original question? How am I a douche? Or, did you simply misread my statement?

Yeah you're a douche, all you liberals are douches. All you do is cover up societies problems with a nice smell, you don't solve them.

So you take your liberal opinions and ideals and shove them where the sun doesn't shine, I don't like being made a second class citizen just so liberals can have an agenda.
throw a few dollars at us by way of social services and food stamps, but don't do a damn thing constructive to help us.

What kind of help do you need? My heart is bleeding.

Then you turn around and accuse conservatives of racism if they dare suggest that we minorities should do such things as do for ourselves and clean up our own communities.

I'm confused, I thought you said you needed help?

You've got the minority communities so dependent on social programs and welfare that they can't think for themselves ..

You're right, you're a perfect example!

Are you through whining? Now go get a job.

I have a job dingleberry.

Oh, so it is only ok when someone agree's with you in your threads. You must have no friends where you live in dusty ol' Las Cruces, New Mexico.

Yeah you're a douche, all you liberals are douches. All you do is cover up societies problems with a nice smell, you don't solve them.

You know whether he is a douche or not has nothing to do with his argument. I would suggest you stick to arguing the issue and not end up calling people names. Usually people use ad ad hominem (means "against the person", i.e. name calling, you should look it up) attacks when they have nothing to back their arguments up with; how secure are you in your beliefs?

Originally posted by JaTo:
Originally posted by daenku32:

No, it just means that additional clarification and differentiation is needed here.

Some liberals are quite resilient and stolid in their beliefs and don't feel the need to champion every cause that unthinking myopia allows others of their ilk to constantly trip over. Dare I say they are grounded and thoughtful in their philosophy and have defendable positions that don't default to knee-jerk slogans and bumper-sticker mentalities.

The "other" liberals that I speak of are liberals that carry the "offend me" albatross around their neck are the "Perpetual Panties in a Twist" liberals. It's almost a religion unto itself these days and is damn-well near a plague in that emotion seems to serve as a substitute as careful and subjective thought...

Don't let the fact escape you that there exists a right-wing element that shows the same knee-jerk reaction towards anything they consider "immoral" (i.e., Sesame Street animals talking being demonic). It's the flip-side of this philosophical coin as emotion combined with convictions allow a very similar "emotional" response that seems to have little backing besides feelings and a mantra that has been shoved down their throats. This certainly doens't rule them out as being conservative, though.

To wrap this little discourse up, I do seem to run into FAR more unthinking, knee-jerk liberals than conservatives, though.

Jato I think this is the first time I have agreed with you on a politics issue. I think there are about an equal number of knee-jerk people in the US.
Actually, Las Cruces is in the higher elevations of New Mexico and far from being "dusty". It's a touch dry, but one of the nicer places to live in NM.

Anyway, back to regular programming...
Wow, we almost got a competent opinion out of you without resorting to that classic E-thug approach that you use so well. Almost...

Originally posted by Packrat:

Was this a threat? Comeon. I've been looking for you to actually engage in a semi-educated argument for about an hour now. This is exactly what I was looking for. So, not really sure what the threat is all about.

The way liberals treat minorities is racist. Liberals only care about Blacks, Mexicans, etc. when it comes to elections.

You truly believe this, don't you? That's just sad. Many of the "liberals" I know regularly volunteer their time to help others, many are teachers, many donate much more than just their money (in addition to taxes). When it comes to politics, you could use this argument for either side. Really sad that this is your opinion of all liberals. When was the last time you tried to help someone less fortunate?

I agree that many of the benefits provided by the government do not help people in their situations, but only continue to extend the problem. However, I think you've gone ahead again and painted this broad brush (as you seem to enjoy doing) and grouped all liberals as evil. However, I wouldn't put all the "blame" on liberals for making the poor so dependent on these programs. I have heard very few suggestions from Republicans besides "cut the program."

Is the solution to just cut those programs and let those on it sink or swim? Hardly. Can you imagine the problems we would have then? We do need to devise a new program. Clearly the current program has problems. A program that can be implemented in conjunction with the current programs in place. To cut these programs without offering other solutions is completely asinine.

What efforts are conservatives doing to help people that can't help themselves? Clearly there are people out there that can't help themselves! Also, as long as there are laws and policies, there will always be loopholes, and people abusing those loophopes. The part I like the most is how when the wealthy abuse the system, I don't really hear conservatives bitching about all the tax dollars it is costing them. Guess what, it is! But, when the poor abuse social programs they sure are up in arms. Where do you think this country loses more money? Tax loophopes, or social programs? There is a reason social workers are paid very little, but tax law is a very lucritive business.

I see a possible answer in education. Our public education system is an absolute disgrass! If you haven't read it, I would highly recommend a book by Jonathan Kozol called "Savage Inequalities." Education is not the only answer, but strengthing our education process is a must! If we have any chance of allowing minorites an opportunity to help themselves, it must begin with education.

I won't get into the various programs that have been cut, and how they truly are disgrassful to see them let go, and who is suffering as a result. Hell, I'll even stick with programs that are ONLY affecting children.

In closing. You should know that I am absolutely not a democrat and stay very much independent to choose the canidate that I believe will be best for our country. Nor do I vote for someone simply to follow a party line. I, along with the majority of my colleages, simply refuse the sheep mentality that I've seen rampent among the current majority. Think for yourselves!
Wow that is a open minded view!

I don't suppose that conservatives have an agenda,noooooo.

Being a Dem and a "old" guy, I just don't understand why so many of our young people are so conservative ( not so when it comes to sex, drugs, violence, intolerance, etc)its just when it suits you I suppose.

Its not that conservatives are stupid, just wrong! (for America as I've known it and historicly)......

Years ago I read that if Facism raised its ugly head here it would be called Americanism, look around you.

How old are you? Just curious on how successful in life you are with your highly respectable job.
I have a job dingleberry. [/quote%5
All you do is cover up societies problems with a nice smell, you don't solve them.

You missed a step or two. First they create the problem, then pretend to be the ones who can fix it. In addition, they'll blame a Republican for either creating the problem or making it worse. For example, Social Security.
Wow, we almost got a competent opinion out of you without resorting to that classic E-thug approach that you use so well. Almost...

Was this a threat? Comeon. I've been looking for you to actually engage in a semi-educated argument for about an hour now. This is exactly what I was looking for. So, not really sure what the threat is all about.

The way liberals treat minorities is racist. Liberals only care about Blacks, Mexicans, etc. when it comes to elections.

You truly believe this, don't you? That's just sad. Many of the "liberals" I know regularly volunteer their time to help others, many are teachers, many donate much more than just their money (in addition to taxes). When it comes to politics, you could use this argument for either side. Really sad that this is your opinion of all liberals. When was the last time you tried to help someone less fortunate?

I agree that many of the benefits provided by the government do not help people in their situations, but only continue to extend the problem. However, I think you've gone ahead again and painted this broad brush (as you seem to enjoy doing) and grouped all liberals as evil. However, I wouldn't put all the "blame" on liberals for making the poor so dependent on these programs. I have heard very few suggestions from Republicans besides "cut the program."

Is the solution to just cut those programs and let those on it sink or swim? Hardly. Can you imagine the problems we would have then? We do need to devise a new program. Clearly the current program has problems. A program that can be implemented in conjunction with the current programs in place. To cut these programs without offering other solutions is completely asinine.

What efforts are conservatives doing to help people that can't help themselves? Clearly there are people out there that can't help themselves! Also, as long as there are laws and policies, there will always be loopholes, and people abusing those loophopes. The part I like the most is how when the wealthy abuse the system, I don't really hear conservatives bitching about all the tax dollars it is costing them. Guess what, it is! But, when the poor abuse social programs they sure are up in arms. Where do you think this country loses more money? Tax loophopes, or social programs? There is a reason social workers are paid very little, but tax law is a very lucritive business.

I see a possible answer in education. Our public education system is an absolute disgrass! If you haven't read it, I would highly recommend a book by Jonathan Kozol called "Savage Inequalities." Education is not the only answer, but strengthing our education process is a must! If we have any chance of allowing minorites an opportunity to help themselves, it must begin with education.

I won't get into the various programs that have been cut, and how they truly are disgrassful to see them let go, and who is suffering as a result. Hell, I'll even stick with programs that are ONLY affecting children.

In closing. You should know that I am absolutely not a democrat and stay very much independent to choose the canidate that I believe will be best for our country. Nor do I vote for someone simply to follow a party line. I, along with the majority of my colleages, simply refuse the sheep mentality that I've seen rampent among the current majority. Think for yourselves!

Very well put!

It's sad because it is the truth.

Quote:

Sometimes you have to cut the program in order to cure the problem.
Quote:

Is the solution to just cut those programs and let those on it sink or swim?

Exactly. It's called tough love. The problem with liberals is they're too wishy washy.

Quote:

Can you imagine the problems we would have then? We do need to devise a new program. Clearly the current program has problems. A program that can be implemented in conjunction with the current programs in place. To cut these programs without offering other solutions is completely asinine.

That's the typical liberal response. Replace the program with another program and then another program and then another program and then another program......rinse repeat.

Quote:

What efforts are conservatives doing to help people that can't help themselves?

Certainly more than the left. I don't hear the conservatives telling the black community that it's the fault of whitey as the reasons why they don't succeed or telling Mexican immigrants that it's perfectly fine to not learn English.

Quote:

Clearly there are people out there that can't help themselves!

Very few people actually qualify as this.

Quote:

Also, as long as there are laws and policies, there will always be loopholes, and people abusing those loophopes.

It didn't help when the left has expanded the American with Disabilities Act to include such disabilities as drug addiction, alcoholism and obesity. You can't complain about loopholes when you turn around and create them.

Quote:

The part I like the most is how when the wealthy abuse the system, I don't really hear conservatives bitching about all the tax dollars it is costing them. Guess what, it is!

Yeah the whole "tax breaks for the rich". Sell it to hallmark.

Quote:

But, when the poor abuse social programs they sure are up in arms. Where do you think this country loses more money? Tax loophopes, or social programs? There is a reason social workers are paid very little, but tax law is a very lucritive business.

I'm sure your friends in Hollywood love those loopholes just like everything else.

Quote:

The left [censored] the education system up with teachers unions which make it difficult, if not impossible to get rid of half assed or abusive educators.

Quote:

That means you got squat to argue with.

Quote:

OMG the irony.

Originally posted by jerseycat10:

How old are you? Just curious on how successful in life you are with your highly respectable job.

29 and I'm doing just fine, thank you.

Oh, so it is only ok when someone agree's with you in your threads. You must have no friends where you live in dusty ol' Las Cruces, New Mexico.

That's right. Nobody said I had to give people equal opportunity. This is not a democracy.

Quote:

Actually, Las Cruces is in the higher elevations of New Mexico and far from being "dusty". It's a touch dry, but one of the nicer places to live in NM.

It's been a bit dusty from time to time, mostly dust blown in from Arizona due to all that hot air blowing out of Kalifornia.
Originally posted by Davo:
All you do is cover up societies problems with a nice smell, you don't solve them.

You missed a step or two. First they create the problem, then pretend to be the ones who can fix it. In addition, they'll blame a Republican for either creating the problem or making it worse. For example, Social Security.

And all the while the conservatives stand by going "Oh my God I can't believe all this that's going on and we can't do a thing!"
Davo says "I'm a Republican and I'm a victim!"
Your statement is so absurd it's almost funny, but it's definitely scary that you believe it's true.
Originally posted by RT and his SE:

And all the while the conservatives stand by going "Oh my God I can't believe all this that's going on and we can't do a thing!"
Davo says "I'm a Republican and I'm a victim!"
Your statement is so absurd it's almost funny, but it's definitely scary that you believe it's true.

Yeah well I don't hear any solutions coming from the lefties other than throwing blame and horror stories around so Davo is on point.
Rusty, explain why it's so absurd.
BS Packrat! It's your President that wants the illegals hear to help provide cheap labor for big business and decrease wages at the same time because the market is flooded with people who work for less. The less educated they are the more they like it. You don't stand up for yourself if your afraid or don't know that your being taken advantage of. Housing prices going down? Nope! Food prices going down? Not this time! Energy prices shrinking? Yeah right! Wages...yes they are going down so I guess the Republicans do have a program the works!
There is a reason social workers are paid very little, but tax law is a very lucritive business.

No doubt!...social workers are paid to give our tax dollars away whereas tax lawyers are paid to keep tax dollars from being taken away. Sooooo..thank GOD that social workers are paid less! (In reality LSWs have a tough, thankless job - yes, often no thanks from those they try to help).

The original article in this post was amusing (and not altogether inaccurate) but from a practical standpoint I think liberalism (in its most malignant, extreme form anyway) is finished in this country as a significant political force. 3rd straight election in a row it was rejected across the board, even under "best case" senerio for liberals..ie employment, economy, etc still in recovery mode, ongoing unpopular war, etc. It was clear that liberal celebs were a lead weight around the candidates neck, that despite a hard (Kerry) move to the center at the end, the election was not particularly close. I think it is clear that while France, Germany, Canada etc. continue to move farther left..the U.S. is not going to embrace this trend with open arms. The intensity of the shrieks from the left will remain at high pitch but likely to no avail..in the final analysis, we REMAIN (nothing new here) a centrist nation, with perhaps a slight conservative lean. This is were BOTH parties will need to position themselves to win going foreward..a conservative/moderate democrat can win, another Kerry/Gore/Dean/Kennedy clone cannot. A hardline rightwinger is less likely to win than a centrist. This is a good thing and a comforting thought. Of course, Hillary will try HARD to appear to be that "conservative" democrat in the next 4 years..

BS Packrat! It's your President that wants the illegals hear to help provide cheap labor for big business and decrease wages at the same time because the market is flooded with people who work for less.

Nope, try again.
Rusty, explain why it's so absurd.

Your saying that the all this time that the Republican party just stands by and is powerless to stop all these terrible things from happening because the Democrats have been running things from the beginning?

Just because they feed you crap and call it caviar doesn't mean the rest of us are going to eat it!
Who the hell said that? Damn, you sure know how to spin words around. But if we must pull teeth, it was the Democrats who started Social Security. The Democrats take all the credit for starting Social Security because of how 'wonderful' it is. If everything that happens in government is bipartisan (like you're alluding to), then I'm sure you'll say the Republicans and Democrats are equally responsible for the Iraq war.
BS Packrat! It's your President that wants the illegals hear to help provide cheap labor for big business and decrease wages at the same time because the market is flooded with people who work for less.

Nope, try again.

Maybe you should pull your head out so you can get a better look around.

Bush revives bid to legalize illegal aliens

Re-read your own words then.

Nope, try again.

Maybe you should pull your head out so you can get a better look around.

Bush revives bid to legalize illegal aliens

If they're legalized, then they're not illegals. You said the president wants "illegals".

Incidentally, thats something I don't agree with him on. I think all the illegals should be sent back where they came from and wait their turn. I'm sick of the Hispanic community acting like Mexicans somehow have it worse off than others and should be given special consideration.
Very weak, Rusty. Even for you.
Very weak, Rusty. Even for you.

It's your argument! I was just pointing out how stupid it sounded. Even for you!

It's sad because it is the truth.

You're right. Its true that both sides use propagenda during an election to try and get votes. And you're right, it is sad.

Sometimes you have to cut the program in order to cure the problem.

Originally posted by packrat:
Is the solution to just cut those programs and let those on it sink or swim?

Exactly. It's called tough love. The problem with liberals is they're too wishy washy.

Show me one instance where this type of policy has actually
worked? You cannot just cut these people off. This will immediately lead to an increase in crime. Guess what. It'll cost more to incarsinate that one person than to feed their whole family with food stamps.

Can you imagine the problems we would have then? We do need to devise a new program. Clearly the current program has problems. A program that can be implemented in conjunction with the current programs in place. To cut these programs without offering other solutions is completely asinine.

That's the typical liberal response. Replace the program with another program and then another program and then another program and then another program......rinse repeat.

Hold the phone buddy! This is the response for BOTH sides on ANY policy. When someone isn't working, you replace that program with another program. How about Intelligence. Clearly the current policy isn't working. Maybe we should just cut that program altogether. Guess what. This is what a government does. Both sides work this way. Liberals do it with their programs, and conservatives do it with theirs. Nothing to see here, no valid argument, move along...

What efforts are conservatives doing to help people that can't help themselves?

Certainly more than the left. I don't hear the conservatives telling the black community that it's the fault of whitey as the reasons why they don't succeed or telling Mexican immigrants that it's perfectly fine to not learn English.

Clearly there are people out there that can't help themselves!

Very few people actually qualify as this.

Show me some numbers then. Again, I cannot see those in dire straights being able to just pick themselves up and move along. There are MANY times (more often than not, if you've ever known anyone in that position) that you simply cannot help yourself without outside assistance. Now you're going to eliminate this assistance and let them go? And you think liberals are the ones keeping them down? Yeah, this will solve the problems. But hey, at least you get to keep a few more dollars.

Also, as long as there are laws and policies, there will always be loopholes, and people abusing those loophopes.

It didn't help when the left has expanded the American with Disabilities Act to include such disabilities as drug addiction, alcoholism and obesity. You can't complain about loopholes when you turn around and create them.

Certainly doesn't help when people are buying $50,000 cars so they can write them off. Yep, there's another tax deduction that takes money right out of the governments pockets.

Look, I agree that these "disabilities" shouldn't force employers to pay for those problems, but I do believe that they are disabilities. How many alcoholics or drug addicts do you know? That can be pretty dibilitating. I know, another "tough love program"

The part I like the most is how when the wealthy abuse the system, I don't really hear conservatives bitching about all the tax dollars it is costing them. Guess what, it is!

Yeah the whole "tax breaks for the rich". Sell it to hallmark.

No! I'm not talking about those "tax breaks for the rich", I'm talking about the existing tax deductions that the , and the abuse of the wealthy with these deductions. For instance. Do you think concert tickets, sporting events, ect.. should be tax deductable? Comeon! That's just the tip of the iceburg, and you and I BOTH know it. Who takes advantage of tax deductions? Only those that can afford to hire people to work these tax loopholes for their own personal gain. Meanwhile, the poor and middle-class that can't afford to hire these people pay those taxes. However, this gets me into a huge argument about our complex tax laws, which is something completely different.

But, when the poor abuse social programs they sure are up in arms. Where do you think this country loses more money? Tax loophopes, or social programs? There is a reason social workers are paid very little, but tax law is a very lucritive business.

I'm sure your friends in Hollywood love those loopholes just like everything else.

What do you even mean by this? Is this even an argument?

The left [censored] the education system up with teachers unions which make it difficult, if not impossible to get rid of half assed or abusive educators.

WOW! You truly are clueless when it comes to public education. No, the problem is not the school unions! The problem is Parents! This is not a political issue either. All parents do this. Teachers hands are absolutely tied when it comes to public schools. What experience do you have in the public school system to see otherwise? I have a bunch of friends that are teachers, making horribly pathetic salaries. Or, maybe you'd like to my friend who teaches in the Bronx. You should hear the stories. No, the problem most certainly is not the unions! Although I do agree that the union protects some teachers that should not be allowed to teach, that certainly is not the root of the problem! God, if you really believe that, you should try teaching for a year. It is ABSOLUTELY a THANKLESS job.

That means you got squat to argue with.

So you'd like me to get the programs that are being cut? Ok, give me a little time to organize that info. Not like you've supplied any facts in your arguments yet, but I'll be glad to dig some up.

OMG the irony.

Whatever. Do you think the majority of this country are educated voters? Comeon, who are you trying to kid, me or yourself? Guess what. It doesn't matter which side wins, the majority are sheep. Accept it and move on.

Or, maybe we should start with the Military. Have you ever tried to talk politics wih enlisted men? Its a true joke! They don't know ANY facts, and if you're not supporting the Republican, you're against them. Its funny how black and white they see things. Its really a joke. I appreciate every soldier out there for his job, but seriously, that is a herd. My friend (a Lt. in the Airforce) tells me stories all the time about the sheepish tendencies.

blah blah blah

I'm done arguing with you.
blah blah blah

I'm done arguing with you.

Typical of someone with no response.

Quit when you can't form a solid argument. How does a sheep sound? Baaahhh!

Actually, it's typical of someone that doesn't want to spend all day arguing on the internet.

Actually, it's typical of someone that doesn't want to spend all day arguing on the internet.

Are you kidding me! This is PackRat we're talking about. All he does is argue on the interet!

Are you kidding me! This is PackRat we're talking about. All he does is argue on the interet!

Pot, meet kettle....
Obviously not, if he didn't want to argue with you anymore.
Originally posted by 99blacksesport:

Pot, meet kettle....

Can't say I agree with you here.

However, we could compare my posts over the last month to those that PackRat has posted in the last month and see just how many are argumentative. In fact, if you wouldn't mind looking into it, I'd love to see your facts on this statement.

Hell, lets just see how many of his posts were Contour related over the last month on this Contour website and start with that...

LOL! Davo, let it go man. I think PackRat can stick up for himself in an argument. He doesn't need the CEG Conservative Front to jump in on it.

LOL! Davo, let it go man. I think PackRat can stick up for himself in an argument. He doesn't need the CEG Conservative Front to jump in on it.

I actually had to be somewhere believe it or not. So why don't you take the high road and when you get to the top of the mountain, jump off a cliff.

BTW, if you haven't already seen it, I highly recommend "National Treasure".

29, and you work the night shift at wal-mart as a cashier? Wow, no wonder you're such an [censored] around here.

29, and you work the night shift at wal-mart as a cashier? Wow, no wonder you're such an [censored] around here.

Whats wrong with working at Wal-Mart? Oh wait, I forgot you're one of those elitist [censored] who looks down their noses at anyone working in the retail/foodservice areas. And I thought liberals didn't believe in a class system. Bull [censored] [censored]. Why don't you go ahead and say something witty about my 15 year old car while you are at it. [censored] dickwad.
Oh wait, I forgot you're one of those elitist [censored] who looks down their noses at anyone working in the retail/foodservice areas.

No, just the ones who act like they know it all, and no one else can have an opinion.
Oh wait, I forgot you're one of those elitist [censored] who looks down their noses at anyone working in the retail/foodservice areas.

No, just the ones who act like they know it all, and no one else can have an opinion.

Welcome to the internet. Did you just get here? Dumbass.

You are a graveyard shift cashier at age 29, and I am the dumbass....

You are a graveyard shift cashier at age 29, and I am the dumbass....

Yes you are the dumbass. Keep looking down your nose at me ass, it only proves who's really prejudiced here.
The pot is already pretty well-stirred, but I'll give it another whirl because I'm a prick like that:

Quote:

With the Blue States in hand, the Democrats have firm control of 80% of the country's fresh water, 92% of all fresh fruit production, 95% of America's export quality wines, 90% of the high tech industry, most of the US low-sulfur coal, all living redwoods and sequoias, all the Ivy League and Seven Sister schools, plus Amherst, Stanford, Berkeley, CalTech and MIT.

The Red States have firm control of 88% of all obese Americans, 92% of all US mosquitoes, 100% of all tornadoes, 90% of all hurricanes, 99% of all Southern Baptists, 100% of all Televangelists, Rush Limbaugh, Bob Jones University, Clemson and the University of Georgia. Among those doing the "controlling," 38% believe Jonah was actually eaten by a whale, 62% believe that all life is sacred except for those on death row, 44% believe that evolution is just a theory, 53% believe that Saddam Hussein was involved in 9/11, and, last but not least, 61% believe that Bush is a person of moral conviction.

Yeah, you're a prick alright.
Originally posted by Viss1:
The pot is already pretty well-stirred, but I'll give it another whirl because I'm a prick like that:

Quote:

With the Blue States in hand, the Democrats have firm control of 80% of the country's fresh water, 92% of all fresh fruit production, 95% of America's export quality wines, 90% of the high tech industry, most of the US low-sulfur coal, all living redwoods and sequoias, all the Ivy League and Seven Sister schools, plus Amherst, Stanford, Berkeley, CalTech and MIT.

The Red States have firm control of 88% of all obese Americans, 92% of all US mosquitoes, 100% of all tornadoes, 90% of all hurricanes, 99% of all Southern Baptists, 100% of all Televangelists, Rush Limbaugh, Bob Jones University, Clemson and the University of Georgia. Among those doing the "controlling," 38% believe Jonah was actually eaten by a whale, 62% believe that all life is sacred except for those on death row, 44% believe that evolution is just a theory, 53% believe that Saddam Hussein was involved in 9/11, and, last but not least, 61% believe that Bush is a person of moral conviction.

Thats classic!
Originally posted by Viss1:

Quote:

Heh, now that was a funny little way of putting it!

jerseycat, I have to side with Pack on this and just say shut the hell up. Everybody in America has to make a living for themselves, who gives a rat's @ss if he does it by working for the largest retailer in America? Hell, night shift pays damn well, and I'm sure Pack knows it.
Quote:

You are aware that NJ represents the proverbial armpit in this attention-whoring and completely snobish comparison?

To rub it in further, you are aware that The People's Republic of California represents close to 60% of the bragging rights here, which also has close to a monopoly on serious earthquakes here in the US, an immigration problem galore, tax issues out the ying-yang, the vast bulk of eco-terrorism since the FBI began tracking itand the top number of bankrupt tech companies in the US since the bust?

Need I further mention that most of the highest-crime cities in the US are firmly under the control of the "so-called" Blue states?
Well, I was going to join in the conversation, since I can find many flaws in zgendron's logic and posts, but since it's went into the crapper, I'll wait to see if someone pulls it out first...

E1
lets just flush it :-) Hopefully, its not a floater.
Originally posted by EternalOne:
Well, I was going to join in the conversation, since I can find many flaws in zgendron's logic and posts, but since it's went into the crapper, I'll wait to see if someone pulls it out first...

E1

pack and jerseycat have a special history together. jersey likes to point out how unsuccessful he think pack is in life, and pack likes to blast jersey for having a shortsighted view of success.

either way this thread was bound to turn into a pissing fest from the first post. i thought we would have ended these types of inflamatory discussions after the election was over but it seems people still have left over rocks to throw.
Originally posted by BP:
pack and jerseycat have a special history together. jersey likes to point out how unsuccessful he think pack is in life, and pack likes to blast jersey for having a shortsighted view of success.

Don't get me wrong. I truly believe he represents everything that is right and good with todays lower-class blue collar workers.
Originally posted by BP:

Don't get me wrong. I truly believe he represents everything that is right and good with todays lower-class blue collar workers.

You just don't know when to shut the [censored] up, do you?

Way to be a d!ck.

Mods, can we do away with this one yet?
Some people need to grow up. Warnings are going out again - if you get one, take it seriously.

This one is over.
© CEG Archives