Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: MBR2003 Ding Guard Removal - 01/09/03 12:13 AM
Hey guys,

I am debating removing my door ding guard strips because I think they look kind of cheezy (I have a 99 SVT Contour). I was wondering if anyone could post pics of their cars with them removed.

I was also wondering, is there point where it is too late to do it. If I take mine off will the paint be less faded then the rest of the car? I feel my cars paint is in good shape but it does spend all its time outside.

Comments and suggestions welcome, thanks in advance.
Posted By: gSto Re: Ding Guard Removal - 01/09/03 12:22 AM
I did my removal in the winter time on a 95 contour GL, every side (except the driver side) came out perfect...i didnt use a hair drier, or anythign at first...just goof off at the end after i peeled most of the stuff off.

the only reason the drivers side left a streak was because the previous owner had been in a fender bender.... and it had been repainted at that side
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Ding Guard Removal - 01/09/03 12:37 AM
all my doors turned out bad, but i have a 96. most 99's turn out fine (and it looks great) at night, mine doesn't look to bad. i'm gonna borrow a buffer sometime and see if i can fix it. (clay bar and rubbing compound won't help it, though rubbing compound does make it slightly better)
Posted By: CRZYDRVR_dup1 Re: Ding Guard Removal - 01/09/03 01:24 AM
Do it. It makes the car look so much better. Pics are in my sig.
Posted By: unisys12 Re: Ding Guard Removal - 01/09/03 02:20 AM
I have been thinking about doing it on my stique! But it seems the more I think about it, the more convienced I am that I shouldn't. I am scared of the racing strip syndrome, but more over... I actually like them. Some cars that I have seen look sort of plain without them, but then others look really good. I will just have to see a few for myself in person and see what I think then.

The only real reason I started think about taking them off was right after buying the car. They can be a pain in the rump to clean around. Now that I have a buffer, they are even harder to buff around. Hell, when was the last time you heard of someone buffing the bottom of their wing everytime they buff their car. Then I started coming here and found out everyone really likes doing it anyway. So I went outside one Saturday morning and was going to do it... and I sat there looking at the car, and I sat there, and sat there! You get the picture! I just could not bring myself to do it.

P.S. About the buffing the wing deal... No I am not talking about a situation where the wing was off anyway or by hand either. And yes, it was meant as an example!
Posted By: cliffjohnson_dup1 Re: Ding Guard Removal - 01/09/03 02:25 AM
DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!

i did mine while it was on blocks for a month (great insurance) and it looks so much better, i just peeled them off, took a hair dryer and a plastic spatula and got the glue off, then i took goo gone and got the little stuff off. do it though, it'll look real nice.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Ding Guard Removal - 01/09/03 03:44 AM
do it, i think it's only a big risk with pre98's. newer, less risk. Just peel up part of one (or whole thing) and see if you have a stripe or not. if you need to stick it back down, just buy some adhesive tape.
Posted By: gSto Re: Ding Guard Removal - 01/09/03 03:55 AM
go for it, u wont regret it
Posted By: Static Re: Ding Guard Removal - 01/09/03 03:56 AM
they should just eleminate the search option all together cause it doesnt really matter nobody uses it it just takes up bandwidth.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Ding Guard Removal - 01/09/03 03:58 AM
yeah, but the new one sorta sucks. before i did it, i actually posted a poll to get what people think about it, so i understand. and i don't mind helping, though this topic does come up atleast twice a month.
Posted By: IonNinja Re: Ding Guard Removal - 01/09/03 05:08 AM
I did this yesterday...WOW it takes FOREVER!!!

I thought wetting the sticky crap would make it easier but not at all...I picked at it with a plastic spoon for like an hour & half maybe 2 hours
Posted By: m!key Re: Ding Guard Removal - 01/09/03 05:14 AM

mine is a 95 and it left absolutley no ill effects. just take your time and do it right.
Posted By: CRZYDRVR_dup1 Re: Ding Guard Removal - 01/09/03 05:42 AM
Originally posted by JiggaJerry:
I did this yesterday...WOW it takes FOREVER!!!

I thought wetting the sticky crap would make it easier but not at all...I picked at it with a plastic spoon for like an hour & half maybe 2 hours

Yeah, it took me quite a while too. Well worth all the work, though.
Posted By: GLChick'95_dup1 Re: Ding Guard Removal - 01/09/03 07:45 AM
I'm with ya, man. I wasn't going to take them off, because I kinda like the way they look. But the dings on the left side of the car started peeling, so they are coming off this weekend. It's the only mod I can do right now as I had to replace the starter ( buh-bye suspension upgrade) and who knows what else is wrong as the car is still on the racks. Fun! Fun! Fun!
Posted By: IonNinja Re: Ding Guard Removal - 01/09/03 07:45 AM
i have no problem getting the adhesive off...its the ring that the ding guards left thats the problem

i haven't really washed it good yet though so I'm hopin it will come off
Posted By: 1BADTOUR Re: Ding Guard Removal - 01/09/03 08:45 AM
I say leave them on. Mine are still on and its saved my paint a couple of times when some a-hole decided to park next to me in the middle of no where.
Posted By: Stolon #05 Re: Ding Guard Removal - 01/09/03 04:16 PM
Originally posted by unisys12:
So I went outside one Saturday morning and was going to do it... and I sat there looking at the car, and I sat there, and sat there! You get the picture! I just could not bring myself to do it.

LOL. I can't tell you how many times I have done this exact same sceneario... I can't bring myself to do it either.
Posted By: unisys12 Re: Ding Guard Removal - 01/09/03 04:40 PM
Ok! Sunday when Grunt and Skid come over I will take mine off! I will post pictures of it!
Posted By: Static Re: Ding Guard Removal - 01/09/03 04:53 PM
Originally posted by unisys12:
So I went outside one Saturday morning and was going to do it... and I sat there looking at the car, and I sat there, and sat there! You get the picture! I just could not bring myself to do it.

Story of my life... I just think about what it would be like if I was doing the actual work and I get exhausted lol... I have to really want it done to do it...

© CEG Archives