Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Stazi Need to buy a heater for the gh3yrage.... - 01/06/05 01:51 PM
Trying to determine what kind of heater I should buy:
Propane free standing one, the perforated drum kind, not the flame thrower style

or

A small wood burning stove.

The propane one would be easier and cheaper but would burn through a ton of gas and I'm not sure how effective it would be.

I have a detached 2.5 car garage so if anyone has experiences with good heaters, let me know. I need something to motivate me into tearing apart my engine and bulding it into a monster!
The best heaters i have ever come in contact with is the one's that look like rocket boosters or thrusters... I'm not sure which category they fall under but by far the best!
Posted By: Stazi Re: Need to buy a heater for the gh3yrage.... - 01/06/05 02:07 PM
I've worked with those before and the thing made all of our eyes water and sting like a bia in no time! Remember I want to close the garage door and work AND not set sh!t on fire too!
J/K

I say this one.

or this one.
I've got one similar to the ones Todd linked to. Works great, but its loud. I usually run it for 5-10 minutes per hour and its all good. my garage is also a 2.5 car detached, not much different from your garage, except I have two sliding glass doors in mine.
Posted By: Stazi Re: Need to buy a heater for the gh3yrage.... - 01/06/05 02:55 PM
I think the smaller one would be fine. 200,000 BTU's and a 100 pound tank required for the second one!
Posted By: Stazi Re: Need to buy a heater for the gh3yrage.... - 01/06/05 02:59 PM
Might as well ge the engine hoist and stand while I'm at ti. Northern tool has hoist with free load levelers for $150 and stands for $50!
when i lived in the UP i got a 50,000 BTU one it looked like a fire place kinda. like $80 bucks it was kinda noisey but i would run it for like 5 mins and your set for a while.

don't get a torpedo style ya they work great but i feel like im gonna puke whenever there used.
Posted By: Stazi Re: Need to buy a heater for the gh3yrage.... - 01/06/05 03:12 PM
Damn I priced out a hoist and engine stand too, and the shipping is $127! JEEBUS! The heavy stuff need to go by freight.

"F" that. I'm off to Pep Boyz and I'll pick it up myself!
Go to Homedepot....they have some rather inexpensive garage heaters like the ones Todd Linked to....that is the style I use in my garage at home....
This is the one I have and I lub it.

Saweet!

&
A big tank.

A good deal on one.
You can borrow my hoist no problem when I am done. I just had to buy one for my project.

Posted By: Stazi Re: Need to buy a heater for the gh3yrage.... - 01/06/05 06:08 PM
Cool!
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Need to buy a heater for the gh3yrage.... - 01/06/05 08:02 PM
Do you have a Harbor Freight Tools up in Michigan? This place kicks ass! I'd be willing to bet you could walk away with a hoist and a stand for ~$100.00.

Mark
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
Do you have a Harbor Freight Tools up in Michigan? This place kicks ass! I'd be willing to bet you could walk away with a hoist and a stand for ~$100.00.

Mark

Nope. Pep Boys had the best price I could find on a hoist. Again it didn't come with a chain or stab. bar though so I ordered one from Northern. Still ended up a little cheaper than HF's cheapest model. $160 I think is the lowest for them.
Posted By: Stazi Re: Need to buy a heater for the gh3yrage.... - 01/06/05 08:40 PM
Actually there is a Harbor Freight, but it's Southgate! Driving there and back would cost me enough in gas
Well Stazi mine handles a 2 1/2 car garage pretty well as I've detailed cars with those outside temp gauges and my garage is about 62-68 degrees when its between 10-30 outside.
When you wanna pull that motor...send me a PM.
Posted By: m!key Re: Need to buy a heater for the gh3yrage.... - 01/06/05 11:35 PM
i have a "hotdog" by modine...

it keeps our garage a nice 60 degrees all winter. we have used my garage for a few winter contour projects. it is a bit on the pricy side but is well worth it.
Originally posted by todras:

Nope. Pep Boys had the best price I could find on a hoist. Again it didn't come with a chain or stab. bar though so I ordered one from Northern. Still ended up a little cheaper than HF's cheapest model. $160 I think is the lowest for them.

No? Southgate, Flint, and Ann Arbor just that I know of.
$29.00 for a 3-legged special, or 39.99 for the 4 legged(rated some were around 800-1000, dont remeber exactly).
Oh and very nice heaters, just costly link
Originally posted by Stazi:
I need something to motivate me into tearing apart my engine and bulding it into a monster!

Ya mean its not a monster already?!?
Originally posted by livinsvt:

$29.00 for a 3-legged special, or 39.99 for the 4 legged(rated some were around 800-1000, dont remeber exactly).

This post entirely no sense to me.
Posted By: Stazi Re: Need to buy a heater for the gh3yrage.... - 01/07/05 02:33 PM
He's talking about engine stands.

Yeah they hav 'em cheap but their hoists are a rip off - $200
Originally posted by todras:

This post entirely no sense to me.

Lol, engine stands, the three legged is reffering to the base being a T, with three wheels (scary), 4-legged, the base being an H shape, thus four wheels, much better.

Originally posted by Stazi:
He's talking about engine stands.

Yeah they hav 'em cheap but their hoists are a rip off - $200

I assume your referring to there cherry pickers, ya they are kind of pricey. I just bought a electric over head hoist(can be used for engines or anything), for $75, will lift 880lbs. It cost me another $2-300 to properly mount it on square steel stock and strengthen the rafters in the garage for the added weight, plus fabricating mounting brackets and rollers and two days worth of labor. But having more floor space, plus not having to wiggle a cherry picker around and store it, plus the flexibility, Priceless.
So Stazi, did you get your heater or what
I assume your referring to there cherry pickers, ya they are kind of pricey. I just bought a electric over head hoist(can be used for engines or anything), for $75, will lift 880lbs. It cost me another $2-300 to properly mount it on square steel stock and strengthen the rafters in the garage for the added weight, plus fabricating mounting brackets and rollers and two days worth of labor. But having more floor space, plus not having to wiggle a cherry picker around and store it, plus the flexibility, Priceless.

That's pretty freakin sweet if ya ask me!!
Posted By: Stazi Re: Need to buy a heater for the gh3yrage.... - 01/10/05 02:51 PM
Originally posted by The Striped SVT:
So Stazi, did you get your heater or what

No not yet. This week I hope to go out and get it.
I have a heater that i just bought from home depot about a month ago. Its a wall mount but it uses natural gas. I Already had a gas line so it worked out for me. I don't know if you want to go through all the trouble to get a gas line if you don't already have one. But mine covers 1000 square feet.
Natural gas eh??? Stazi should have no trouble keeping that supplied!!
© CEG Archives