Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: CueballSVT Tree sap removal - 05/20/02 02:53 PM
What's the best way to remove tree sap? I tried bug and tar remover on Susan's new Tiburon and it did not work well. I'm afraid to rub too hard, since what they call Teal is practically navy blue or black. Gonna be tough to maintain frown .
Posted By: ElKy-10 months & counting Re: Tree sap removal - 05/20/02 03:01 PM
put a small amount of olive oil on the sap. let it sit for a few in the sun. then use a D.A. sander with 60 grit on it...
viola!!
no more sap!!

uhh..mmm..an second thought..DON'T do that.
you might clog the sandpaper.
use vegetable oil instead!
Posted By: CueballSVT Re: Tree sap removal - 05/20/02 03:03 PM
How about a non-sand method?
Posted By: frenchblueC2 Re: Tree sap removal - 05/20/02 03:03 PM
LOL!

I have no idea what to use on sap.
goo gone? that might actually work well.
maybe even like Dawn, dish detergent?
tell susan to stay away from the trees. heh
Posted By: CueballSVT Re: Tree sap removal - 05/20/02 03:05 PM
She's got pine trees right next to the parking spots at her condo. I told her to cut 'em down, to no avail.
Posted By: ElKy-10 months & counting Re: Tree sap removal - 05/20/02 03:12 PM
ok..the no sand method...
theres a few different things you can do..
1st: razor blade, you need to push real hard, the sap absorbs into the paint and if you don't get the deep down stuff, a tree could possibly start to grow out the paint.
2nd:Spray a little bit of Ether (starting fluid) on the spot. light it and stand back. When you see the paint turn black and start to bubble, take a thick rag and wipe it really quickly. this heats up the sap and allows you to get it off.
3rd:(the lazy method) just keep parking the car under the tree and let more sap drip on it, once the car is covered evenly or in a pattern you like. stop parking under the tree. and clear coat over your new nature inspired textured paint!

hope this helps
Posted By: CueballSVT Re: Tree sap removal - 05/20/02 03:13 PM
Ummm, thanks. I think I'll try Dawn, or more bug and tar remover.
Posted By: frenchblueC2 Re: Tree sap removal - 05/20/02 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ElKy:
ok..the no sand method...
theres a few different things you can do..
1st: razor blade, you need to push real hard, the sap absorbs into the paint and if you don't get the deep down stuff, a tree could possibly start to grow out the paint.
2nd:Spray a little bit of Ether (starting fluid) on the spot. light it and stand back. When you see the paint turn black and start to bubble, take a thick rag and wipe it really quickly. this heats up the sap and allows you to get it off.
3rd:(the lazy method) just keep parking the car under the tree and let more sap drip on it, once the car is covered evenly or in a pattern you like. stop parking under the tree. and clear coat over your new nature inspired textured paint!

hope this helps
LOL
kick his ass dougy!
you know where he lives!
Posted By: CueballSVT Re: Tree sap removal - 05/20/02 03:17 PM
I think I'll spray ether on his mail box and light it. Talk about real flames!!! laugh
Posted By: ElKy-10 months & counting Re: Tree sap removal - 05/20/02 03:22 PM
was just trying to help!!
laugh
Posted By: ElKy-10 months & counting Re: Tree sap removal - 05/20/02 03:23 PM
as my good friend Ruth once said...
"Violence is an act of sexual frustration!"
Posted By: CueballSVT Re: Tree sap removal - 05/20/02 03:27 PM
ya know I'm kidding. Sexual frustration??? What's that?
Posted By: frenchblueC2 Re: Tree sap removal - 05/20/02 03:27 PM
Quote:
as my good friend Ruth once said...
"Violence is an act of sexual frustration!"
LOL
ahh yes, I'm just gonna sit back and watch this drama unfold.
laugh
Posted By: frenchblueC2 Re: Tree sap removal - 05/20/02 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by CueballSVT:
ya know I'm kidding. Sexual frustration??? What's that?
hmm yes, do tell elky, doooo tell.
(what was the count again, 7 months??) heh
Posted By: Odysseus Re: Tree sap removal - 05/20/02 03:31 PM
I thought Elky released all of his sexual frustration in the steak tip marinade!!! eek
Posted By: CueballSVT Re: Tree sap removal - 05/20/02 03:32 PM
I feel bad for Ed. I'm sure he can describe the feeling right about now. So, how are the calluses coming?
Posted By: frenchblueC2 Re: Tree sap removal - 05/20/02 03:33 PM
I like how all the guys freely admit that they enjoyed/ate Elky's specially sauced steak tips.
Posted By: ElKy-10 months & counting Re: Tree sap removal - 05/20/02 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by frenchblueC2:
Quote:
Originally posted by CueballSVT:
[b]ya know I'm kidding. Sexual frustration??? What's that?
hmm yes, do tell elky, doooo tell.
(what was the count again, 7 months??) heh[/b]
SHADDUP!!
frown
frown
frown

but doug, seriously try some gas, or kerosene on a rag, dab quickly try not to let it touch the clearcoat for too long. one rag ith gas on it and a clean one to wipe afterwards.
Posted By: Odysseus Re: Tree sap removal - 05/20/02 03:37 PM
On a more serious note.... I removed some tree sap on my SHO with some gasoline and a cloth rag. I was very careful not to get too much on the paint. The gas breaks down the sap and it eventually comes off. Be sure to immediately clean the gas off when finished.

Not for the faint of heart.

laugh
Posted By: ElKy-10 months & counting Re: Tree sap removal - 05/20/02 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Odysseus:
On a more serious note.... I removed some tree sap on my SHO with some gasoline and a cloth rag. I was very careful not to get too much on the paint. The gas breaks down the sap and it eventually comes off. Be sure to immediately clean the gas off when finished.

laugh
See that, i can come up with some helpfull stuff now and then!
Posted By: JSmith Re: Tree sap removal - 05/20/02 05:09 PM
use a rag moist with gasoline. It will take the sap right off.
Posted By: JSmith Re: Tree sap removal - 05/20/02 06:00 PM
Quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Odysseus:
[qb]On a more serious note.... I removed some tree sap on my SHO with some gasoline and a cloth rag. Be sure to immediately clean the gas off when finished.
Why bother immediately cleaning the gasoline off, it will only have evaportated by the time you get a clean rag there ti wipe it off.

I do suggest cleaning afterwards to remove the residues left behind by that gas. They will attract dust.
Posted By: GR8SVT Re: Tree sap removal - 05/20/02 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Odysseus:

laugh
this is the only real effective way that i know to remove it.

however, i saw this "sponge" type thing one day and it almost looked like a green scrub sponge but a hell of a lot softer.

in fact, i think i may have bought one....but never used it.

let me go find...
Posted By: GR8SVT Re: Tree sap removal - 05/21/02 12:14 PM
i fonud that sponge thing and its made by turtle wax. its in a dark green package.

bug and tar remover....haven't used it yet...but i think the SE can use it if it does work well! laugh

don't know if that was any help.
© CEG Archives