Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: auiotour Not Good - 11/14/04 11:48 PM
I don't want to jump to a two harsh of a conclusion, but i think i got hosed. Bought the super charger installed it know the following things. the original owner, said many time i should upgrade the jack shaft before installing it. Well, its come down to having 250 to my name (bank account) and need a 500+ part from vortech in order to get my car running. the jack shaft is grinding inside, and well. I could probably move my car, but I won't due that for a few days. IO need to call vortech and find the price for the piece. Anyone got an upgrade jack shaft there aren't using by any chance? all the grinding is coming from the super charger area. its loud as can be, and when I drove the car home this morning at there were no problems. Now its not working.
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: Not Good - 11/15/04 12:24 AM
Try getting ahold of fst4dr... looking through some old posts, seems like the shaft broke on the s/c he had on this car. He might be able to help ya out a little on finding one.
Posted By: JonnySVT Re: Not Good - 11/15/04 12:50 AM
I doubt he sold it you knowing it was broken, but it could happen. If it's been fine, then all of a sudden it crapped out, I'll give the seller the benefit of the doubt, being that he's a established member IIRC. Kinda leaves you wondering though, heh? I bought an orbital buffer from the swap meet for $10, went and bought $12 worth of bonnets, got home and it stopped working after about a half hour....I know it's not $500, but same principle...leaves you wondering. Funny thing is I could have bought a buffer, extra bonnets, and a mini vacuum cleaner for $22 at the store....
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: Not Good - 11/15/04 01:11 AM
i have to agree...im sure he didnt sell you a bad jackshaft, although it was guaranteed to fail sooner or later.
Posted By: auiotour Re: Not Good - 11/15/04 01:22 AM
true, it just sucks, I have drove less then 100 miles with it in the car. And already its gone. So how much are they. I was told they were about 500-600. If its cheaper I may be able to get it sooner, like in a week or two.
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: Not Good - 11/15/04 01:31 AM
I think the jackshaft that KnuKoncepts (if he still sells it) is about $1000+.
Posted By: auiotour Re: Not Good - 11/15/04 01:06 PM
Originally posted by beyondloadedSE:

I hope i don't end up paying $1000 for that. I mean its nothing extremely complicated just one of the main pieces. So i guess thats why everyone jerks people around. I am calling vortech in a few minutes to see if they have anything in my price range for the new jackshaft.
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: Not Good - 11/15/04 05:36 PM
no, i think thats why no one buys vortech!!!

seriously though, hope you get it fixed soon. im sorry to hear about your situation
Posted By: BStoneMega Re: Not Good - 11/15/04 08:06 PM
uh dude, you better hope its just the jackshaft. If you installed it at a nasty angle you most likely took out the S/C bearings as well as the jackshaft. Happened to me, a good $2500 in repairs.
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: Not Good - 11/15/04 08:27 PM
*waiting for demon to chime in* Sorry to say it man, but you should have gone with an ADC kit.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Not Good - 11/15/04 08:41 PM
*waiting for demon to chime in* Sorry to say it man, but you should have gone with an ADC kit.

Sorry to say that most of us don't have $5000+ to throw at a car. I'm seeing it from Auiotour's point of view here. He said he has $1300 in his kit? That's pretty reasonable, even for a kit that is known to fail. Too bad this had to happen though. Good luck with getting it running, as we hope to see a S/C'd SE from Washington making it to SZ05.

Mark
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: Not Good - 11/15/04 08:45 PM
agreed, but now he could have to spend another $2500 just to fix it so hes at $3800. You could probably get a non intercooled ADC kit for about that much. Regardless, I hope you get it fixed!
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Not Good - 11/15/04 08:47 PM
If you want to play, you got to pay..

Speed cost money, how fast do you want to go?
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Not Good - 11/15/04 09:33 PM
agreed, but now he could have to spend another $2500 just to fix it so hes at $3800. You could probably get a non intercooled ADC kit for about that much. Regardless, I hope you get it fixed!

My guess is, if he has to put $2500 into the S/C, it's not getting fixed by tomorrow. And priority has a huge roll in how much people put into a car, which is exactly my reasoning for not spending anymore money on mods for the Contour. I'll most likely turn it into a fair weather daily driver and put another SVT vehicle in my garage that I can forsee getting into the 11's-12's in less than $20k worth of mods. Different strokes for different folks.

Mark
Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Re: Not Good - 11/15/04 10:37 PM

the rational behind my recent work. . .

i just went overboard because I had some money I had for a down payment on a new car, and didn't really like anything out there, and decided it was easier to justify $5k of turbo car payments then $30k.

still anxiously waiting for a SVT Cobra. . .
Posted By: auiotour Re: Not Good - 11/16/04 12:24 AM
The jack shaft was still attached to the the super charger, It has never been took apart since it was install originally on mikes car. So i know it wasn't at a wierd angle. As for the adc kit. I am seriously thinking about selling all that i have for like 2k (i have about $2700 into it now). The thing i am looking at now is I have to do transmission work and who better then terry. I was gonna upgrade every bit of the transmission, get a lsd and new clutch, flywheel. But not I am thinking that if I go with the adc kit, I will just have to miss sz05, or do it after sz05. Not sure yet, as I might also being moving back out of my parents house. I figure I have about 4k to spend. so if I sell my kit, I will have some extra money but i wouldon't be able to make it to sz05. I think i might just worry about the jack shaft for now. Then wait till after I get some transmission work done then, get the kit. Maybe I can find a 2000 svt by then and turbo it, then have two nice cars as I am almost done paying off my car. (7 months) I have been trying to pay twice my payment so I could have more money for car parts.

So is there anywhere else I can get the jackshaft. I talked to mike about the kit, seems he knows nothing, and i believe him. do now its just time to call vortech.
Posted By: auiotour Re: Not Good - 11/16/04 12:28 AM
$1700. wow, looks like knu. wasn't as expensive as I thought. wow my car might be out of commission for a while.
Posted By: auiotour Re: Not Good - 11/16/04 01:00 AM

is it any good. as this is how I am gonna have to go. my dad said he would see if he can get the part cheap through someone who sell sthe kits (local shop or something) and say he needs to replace a part under warranty or something. So that way I can get it for cheap and he/she can make some money on it.

Do you have a link to the jackshaft?
Posted By: auiotour Re: Not Good - 11/16/04 01:17 PM
Okay, I found these pictures in another thread.

picture of the original

Upgraded.

Does anyone have a picture of the jack shaft before its put together. And in the first picture. is that the piece that breaks. If not what is the piece that breaks. I am gonna have little time to tear my car apart in the next few days. But, We have an idea, that may be a good thing and an easy fix that most people don't/couldn't do. I am hoping on a few things first.
Posted By: Blackcoog_dup1 Re: Not Good - 11/16/04 04:20 PM
The one in the pictures is a pin drive. The ones failing had a spline drive. If your's failed it probably has a spline drive.
Posted By: auiotour Re: Not Good - 11/16/04 07:39 PM
There is a local company that does specialized parts for boeing, and my dad has to use them a lot for his work at boeing. and after talking to them, they want to see the piece, and a drawing of it, using catia so they can possibly redesign it. They said 400 minium and 800 maxium for the price as long as we do all the designing of the part. which shouldn't be to hard. So I figure thats a much easier price to work with. I have so far only raised 600. I won't be getting much more money till the end of the month when I get my check and my ot check. As for my car its still throwing oil from the back left corner of the oil pan, near passenger side door. I keep checking the oil levels and they are fine. But there is a large puddle near the end of my drive way. We are gonna recheck to make sure the bolts were tightened to spec. Also heard that switching to syn can also sometimes cause leaks. I feel we did an adequate job sealing in the new baffled oil pan also, so I don't think its the seal.
Posted By: BStoneMega Re: Not Good - 11/16/04 08:18 PM
you might want to check and see if it's power steering fluid that is leaking.
Posted By: Stazi Re: Not Good - 11/16/04 09:54 PM
The gasket probably isn't seated correctly on the pan. Don't go snapping a bolt trying to tighten it aas it probably isn't the problem.
Posted By: auiotour Re: Not Good - 11/16/04 11:54 PM
Originally posted by Stazi:
The gasket probably isn't seated correctly on the pan. Don't go snapping a bolt trying to tighten it aas it probably isn't the problem.

Since its only been on for less then a week (tomorrow) do you think it would need a new gasket? if we undo it and try to make sure its seated correctly. I crawled under the car, But i couldn't see exactly where it was coming from. I will have to check again later as I have to go to work today. Yawn.
Posted By: 95Mike_dup1 Re: Not Good - 11/18/04 11:16 AM
Dude, I still can't believe that happened. My heart dropped as soon as you told me that.

I swear on my kids that I had no indication of any shaft problems. No grinding, chattering, clunking, nothing. The kit was in perfect working order (to my knowledge) when I took it off or else I would have told you there was a problem. Even if there "might" have been a problem I would have been up front with you.

Anyway, I'm up to help in any way I can. Just let me know.
Posted By: auiotour Re: Not Good - 11/18/04 01:59 PM
I am in the process of seeing if i can get some pictures of the pin shaft version. i want to see how hard it would to have a custom designed part made for it. Not sure yet. But as it looks vortechs new part design made it so its better and if it goes bad, i am sure now that it would only cost $20 to fix, they can still rip people on it. I have yet to uninstall it. Been busy with work, and last night i felt very sick, so I didn't go in on my day off as I was asked too.
© CEG Archives