Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Sarge43 Rear Drum to Disc Conversion - 11/20/03 06:43 AM
I'm in the process of trading for a "00" Mystique GS with rear drums. How difficult would it be to swap out the drums for disc's? This is my first venture into the Contour/Mystique marque, I have a "98" Stang (which I will be selling )(done a bit to her) and an "01" Escape (box stock, so far.)

Thanks for any help
Posted By: SVT power_dup1 Re: Rear disc's - 11/20/03 02:52 PM
It shouldn't be too bad considering the parts are a available since it was a factory option. Basically if you tried it on a car that only had rear drums from the factory I would be much harder. You may or may not have to change the hub though, but if you are willing to invest the time and money, it can be done.
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: Rear disc's - 11/21/03 05:18 AM
This should be helpful. The one thing I don't agree on is the removal of the rear brake pressure valves. Otherwise it is a great article.

http://www.contour.org/mods/mods.php?s=howto&displayid=1
Posted By: kinger_dup1 Re: Rear disc's - 11/21/03 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Big Jim:
The one thing I don't agree on is the removal of the rear brake pressure valves.
http://www.contour.org/mods/mods.php?s=howto&displayid=1

Your right I'll send Lance the new revised version, DON'T REMOVE THE RESTRICTOR!
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: Rear disc's - 11/23/03 06:03 AM
I just realized that I should mention that there are different part numbers on the restrictors if the car has ABS, so use ABS restrictors on a car with ABS and non ABS restrictors if the car is not equipped with ABS. They look just about the same.
Posted By: PeterM Re: Rear disc's - 02/21/04 01:35 AM
I want to do this. Can't find any reasonably priced used knuckle/caliper/rotor assemblies.

Any one have any?

Posted By: PeterM Re: Rear disc's - 02/24/04 03:34 AM
Found lots on car-part.com. Any one know if the Cougar knuckles will fit?
Posted By: Thinkmoto Re: Rear disc's - 02/24/04 10:19 AM
Yes cougar knuckles will fit. As long as they are for a V6 4 wheel disc brake equipped car. I have cougar knuckles on my SVT
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: Rear disc's - 03/26/04 06:26 PM
The part number for the rear ebrake cables that I hae is F6RZ-2A635-AA, which is a kit with 2 cables and the uprated pulloff springs.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Rear disc's - 03/31/04 02:11 AM
I just realized that I should mention that there are different part numbers on the restrictors if the car has ABS, so use ABS restrictors on a car with ABS and non ABS restrictors if the car is not equipped with ABS. They look just about the same.

This thread is for replacing drums with discs. Did any drum brake equipped cars come with ABS?
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Rear disc's - 04/02/04 06:59 AM
Originally posted by TourDeForce:

This thread is for replacing drums with discs. Did any drum brake equipped cars come with ABS?

Mine did.
Posted By: mattmatt Re: Rear disc's - 04/17/04 06:01 AM
Originally posted by LoCoZ:

Mine did.

'00 tour with rear drums and abs here
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Rear disc's - 05/10/04 10:52 PM
Just did the drum to disc conversion with SS lines.....time to break these bad boys in!
Posted By: kontour_sev6 Re: Rear disc's - 05/11/04 04:38 AM
Is there an issue with getting the parts from the Cougar's if your going to keep the stock 8 spoke 15"ers? Since the Cougars that came with rear discs have 16"ers.
Posted By: gearhead98 Re: Rear disc's - 06/28/04 02:28 PM
nope the cougar's disc brake setup is the same as the ones on contour's and they have 15's so you are pretty safe.

anyone correct me if im wrong
Posted By: Thinkmoto Re: Rear disc's - 06/30/04 12:16 AM
4 wheel disc V6 cougars are the same as 98.5+ SVTs
Early SVTs had slightly bigger calipers different pads and caliper brackets.
98.5 SVTs had the smaller calipers and the offset caliper bracket to make them fit over the bigger rotors. The big difference is the caliper bracket. ON 98.5 SVTs and the V6 4 wheel disc cougars they used a cheaper smaller caliper and made an offset bracket to make it clear the rotor. Contours and Cougars use the same calipers, brackets,and rotors in the rear.... For those equipped with disc brakes that is. Half of my SVT has Cougar brake and suspension parts on it.
Posted By: ContourGuy9817 Re: Rear disc's - 10/08/04 02:45 PM
could i do it on my I-4 tour? would the cougar knuckles fit?
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Rear disc's - 10/15/04 03:30 AM
Originally posted by ContourGuy9817:
could i do it on my I-4 tour? would the cougar knuckles fit?

I did it....
Posted By: Russell-3L Re: Rear disc's - 10/15/04 05:50 AM
i got all the aprts needed for the conversion that id be willing to sell...
Posted By: Mystique97 Re: Rear disc's - 12/07/04 11:44 PM
Originally posted by LoCoZs/c:

Mine did.

My 97 Mystique GS has rear drums with ABS. and Russell how much are you selling those parts for and they will fit on stocks right? I'm on a tight budget must not think about mods ugh
------------------------
1997 Mercury Mystique GS ZETEC almost 70K and going strong, needs paint work.
Posted By: Andy W._dup1 Re: Rear disc's - 12/16/04 05:37 PM
Take it to PM's and Classifieds!

-Andy
Posted By: kontour_sev6 Re: Rear disc's - 02/22/05 07:07 PM
ford parts online for the following parts was 670.55
Posted By: ToasterOven Re: Rear disc's - 11/17/05 04:16 PM
and this year disc conversion will work on any year/trimline/wheelsize contour?
Posted By: R_G Re: Rear disc's - 11/19/05 01:48 PM
IMHO - if this thread is a sticky, it would be greatly appreciated if the mod could sort out the afore information and post a rather organized list of things to get/do.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Rear disc's - 11/20/05 04:52 AM
I needed:

Knuckles
New wheel bearings (hub assemblies)
ABS sensors
rotors
pads
calipers
brake hoses
E-brake cable

And essentially that was IT!!! Install was like a 2 hour job....if that.
Posted By: R_G Re: Rear disc's - 11/26/05 01:25 PM
Originally posted by LocoGSR:

Knuckles
ABS sensors
rotors
pads
calipers
brake hoses
E-brake cable

Hec - thanks. Now I don't have ABS on my car - does that mean I can exclude it from the list?
Posted By: R_G Re: Rear disc's - 11/29/05 02:02 AM
Looks like a complete kit - what ya'll think?

Kit on Ebay
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Rear disc's - 11/29/05 03:39 AM
Originally posted by R_G:

Knuckles
ABS sensors
rotors
pads
calipers
brake hoses
E-brake cable

Hec - thanks. Now I don't have ABS on my car - does that mean I can exclude it from the list?

Yes....but make sure whatever knuckles you get don't have the ABS.
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: Rear disc's - 11/29/05 12:28 PM
Originally posted by R_G:

Knuckles
ABS sensors
rotors
pads
calipers
brake hoses
E-brake cable

Yes....but make sure whatever knuckles you get don't have the ABS.

why would it make a difference if you don't have ABS

the abs on the hub are just teeth cut into it, i don't think anything else is different, you just wouldn't need the ABS sensor
Posted By: 1ofakindtour Re: Rear disc's - 12/31/05 03:58 AM
K so here's the question some of us would like to know can I take brakes from an SVT and put them on my 96 NON ABS rear Drum set up? Can I convert without using abs?
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: Rear disc's - 12/31/05 04:25 AM
Yes. Then you will have the same brakes as a 96 V6 without ABS.

You should know though, that you will get more improvement by putting the front SVT brakes on it even if you keep the rear drums.
Posted By: 1ofakindtour Re: Rear disc's - 12/31/05 01:24 PM
I was gonna buy the front and back and put them on, just wanted to make sure they'd work without the abs.
Posted By: hamsterdan Re: Rear disc's - 01/28/06 07:29 AM
I'm pretty sure ABS is enabled on rear-wheel drum brakes.

I can hear the front brakes hitting the ABS system (Which I don't and will never like), but since it's illegal to unplug or disable anti-lock brakes, I'll live with them.

But I never heard them engage on my rear wheels (drums)

I've only had the car for a couple of months, I have to do the rear brakes, so I could take a peek and come back to you.

On my Cavalier, the ABS would hit way too soon (caused me top rear-end a Protege), on the Contour, I would like them to engage a little later, but they're OK (been criving for the last 16 years.)
Posted By: ChattavegasSE_dup1 Re: Rear disc's - 09/02/06 11:11 PM
There's a feller on ebay selling both rear hubs with the suspension still intact. It'll be a [censored] to ship; maybe the seller will take the suspension parts off and sell 'em. Anyways, they're items 8072084582 and 8072086647.
© CEG Archives