Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Christian_dup1 Worn springs ... what if ... - 11/15/04 01:24 AM
I've been trying to find a 'definitive' answer on the net for this situation.

My son-in-law's car's springs seem to be shot. It really feels like it's riding on the struts alone!!

He won't change them, telling me has no money. This has been going on for aout 4 months, and it's just getting worse.

Now, the thing is, he asked me what would happen if he never did change them, and I'm drawing blanks on this.
I would presume that there might be jarring damage to the upper mounts, and the control arms, and of course the struts would wear much faster too.
Is there anything else that anyone can attest to happening, with near 100% certainty, and what could be instances of damage, and scenarios.

Thanks.
Posted By: I-Dom-In-VIII Re: Worn springs ... what if ... - 11/15/04 02:37 AM
What year is the car and how many miles on it... I would think its more or less both that are shot and not just the springs. If anything the struts would go 1st..

Posted By: Nic_ContourSE99 Re: Worn springs ... what if ... - 11/15/04 03:48 AM
If the springs are broken that is bad. Going over a good bump, a broken part of the spring might fall off and blow out the tire, causing more damage.

Anyway in the case that the springs are really bad they will put more stress on shock and will cause premature wear.

Nic.
Posted By: Tavis426 Re: Worn springs ... what if ... - 11/16/04 01:01 AM
And, of course, if the struts & springs are shot, then the tires will wear unevenly, and prematurely. Not to mention that the car simply won't go, stop, or handle correctly with these parts being worn.
Posted By: Bradness_dup1 Re: Worn springs ... what if ... - 11/16/04 05:38 PM
Firstly, springs do not wear out. 2 things can happen to them as they age. They sag and/or break. Now I know that the earlies have a problem with rr spring breakage as I had it happen to my car.

Describing a ride harshness sounds like struts and/or strut mounts. Contours are well known for bushing problems both front and rear. At the front of the car check the end links, struts/mounts, sway bar bushings and especially the A arm bushings. At the rear check all the bushings including sway bar to subframe, trailing arm bushings at the body and the knuckle, struts/mounts, end link bushings, toe control arm bushings and the main lateral control arm bushings.

I'm sure if you go over the suspension as I've described you'll find the offending component(s).
Posted By: Christian_dup1 Re: Worn springs ... what if ... - 11/16/04 09:15 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

I will take your advice and check it all out again. Got to persuade my son-in-law to let me though, he doesn't want to spend money on it.

I didn't realise that the springs didn't wear out, I presumed that the resistive properties would fail, like on a small spring from a pen. The car does seem to have a lowered look to it, which is why I thought it was the springs more.

Out of interest ... I'm planning on getting my wife a contour/mystique too soon. First thing, beyond required repairs, is going to be new struts/springs. I have the BAT 25mm kit on mine, but she finds this rids way too harsh on our bumpy roads.
Can anyone suggest a combination that has superior 'comfort'. I'm considering stock ... but that's no fun
Posted By: DJ Capp 911 Re: Worn springs ... what if ... - 11/16/04 11:09 PM
its your son in law so i guess that means your daughter is driving around in this deathtrap of a car???? looks like you better pony up the money!!!!
Posted By: Christian_dup1 Re: Worn springs ... what if ... - 11/17/04 12:34 AM
My daughter actually has a Malibu. She's put more money into that thing than I have my Mystique ... and I through in suspension on mine, and her A/C rattles (broken something caught inside I guess).
I did actually offer to buy him some cheap struts I found on e-bay, but he declined. My wife and I were considering getting him some for Christmas, giving them before it snows bad though. That's why I was trying to find out about the springs.

Every time you turn around the kids are costing us ... oh well parenting ain't cheap.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Worn springs ... what if ... - 11/17/04 12:49 AM
I guess your gonna hafta make a video depiction of what will happen if you don't change suspension
© CEG Archives