Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: fazzman2000_dup1 need a valve cover - 08/23/02 02:18 PM
My valve cover is warped and is leaking out of one of the corners. I checked with ford about a replacement. I have a 96 with a metal cover. They only find one number but dont know if its just going to be a plastic focus zetec cover. Does anyone know a part number for a metal zetec cover? Thanks a ton!
Posted By: ChattavegasSE_dup1 Re: need a valve cover - 08/23/02 06:18 PM
I would like to know something similar. Does anyone have a Ford part number for a wire cover for VCT engines? Like the one on the cover of the Hayne's manual, except it's a Mystique. Unfortunately, I have the VCT wires sticking out of my valve cover, so I'm limited to nothing when it comes to wire covers.

Oh yeah, and to answer your question, no I don't know the part number. Sorry
Posted By: CRZYDRVR_dup1 Re: need a valve cover - 08/23/02 09:39 PM
Do you mind used?
Posted By: fazzman2000_dup1 Re: need a valve cover - 08/23/02 10:55 PM
nice link! Thanks. I have been calling every junk yard in florida with no luck! Thanks again. Another prime example that the CEG kicks azz and always will!
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: need a valve cover - 08/24/02 06:05 AM
Originally posted by ChattavegasSE:
I would like to know something similar. Does anyone have a Ford part number for a wire cover for VCT engines? Like the one on the cover of the Hayne's manual, except it's a Mystique. Unfortunately, I have the VCT wires sticking out of my valve cover, so I'm limited to nothing when it comes to wire covers.

Oh yeah, and to answer your question, no I don't know the part number. Sorry
I have a wire cover I took off a ZX2 but you will need the valve cover too to fit it. Mine doesn't even have screws for it. Need to find a ZX2 valve cover now.
Posted By: CRZYDRVR_dup1 Re: need a valve cover - 08/24/02 08:13 AM
In reply to:

nice link! Thanks. I have been calling every junk yard in florida with no luck! Thanks again. Another prime example that the CEG kicks azz and always will!

No problem glad I could help!
Posted By: ExDelayed_dup1 Re: need a valve cover - 08/24/02 09:14 AM
How did you warp it?!?! My gasket died on my car. When it went out, it managed to fill cyl #1's spark plug tube with oil. It misfired like nothing else, didn't throw a CEL though. Weird.

A new gasket from FelPro is like $20. Changing it can be done in almost no time. Make sure to torque the cover down or it will leak, again.
Posted By: fazzman2000_dup1 Re: need a valve cover - 08/24/02 08:45 PM
whats the torque speck on the cover?
Posted By: SQPlus_dup1 Re: need a valve cover - 08/24/02 10:27 PM
IIRC its a two stage torque process...the first is 7 Nm then 2 Nm. As per the Ford CD-rom for 98. It might be different for other years.
Posted By: ExDelayed_dup1 Re: need a valve cover - 08/25/02 03:13 AM
Originally posted by SQPlus:
IIRC its a two stage torque process...the first is 7 Nm then 2 Nm. As per the Ford CD-rom for 98. It might be different for other years.

IIRC, the spec for mine (according to my chiltons) is 7-9Nm. It doesn't say anything about a two step process though.
Posted By: ScoobyRacing03 Re: need a valve cover - 08/25/02 06:02 AM
1995-1997 53-71 in-lbs
1998-2000 132 in-lbs
the VCT motors are to a higher torque.
Posted By: Paul Kienitz_dup1 Re: need a valve cover - 08/26/02 11:48 PM
Originally posted by ExDelayed:
It misfired like nothing else, didn't throw a CEL though. Weird.

The CEL detector for misfiring spark won't be triggered until it's pretty bad, like one cylinder having no successful sparks for one second. I don't know why they make it so oblivious.
© CEG Archives