Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: 2112 SPMotorsports- Hyperground Wires - 02/01/03 04:19 PM
Hyperground Negative Groundwire Kit- Inital Impressions

In conjungtion with Joe @ SP Motorsports, I just installed the Hyperground kit on my 98 Contour SVT. So we will call this Project SP Hyperground.

Initial impression of the product is very good. The kit is very easy to install and Quality of the wires is second to none.

Removal of the battery is necessary and the instructions are fairly straightforward. There are many differrent ways to link the wires so you can be creative on your mounting points. My system runs 2 wires off the battery: one to the ground point under the battery and the other to the front cylinder head off the IMRC. From that point I ran 2 more wires off the same IMRC mount: one to the intake maniflod and one to the tranny. The final wire runs off the same maniflod point to the front frame mount. Most of the wires run under the front head cover so they are not too obtrusive. Installation time: 1 hour

Initial driving impressions: The wires seem to do what they claim. Lights are brighter, etc. Drivability seems to be better. The powerband is actually smoother and the car does pull better. The most noticeable gains ( for my car) are the upper revs. My car feels much better above 6k rpm. I know most of us don't usually pull all the way up to 6k, but I didn't really realize it was going that high until I checked the revs. The kit seems to have made the car happier in the higher rev range. I account this to the fact the ignition system does not need to work as hard at the higher rpm range because there is less resistance. I would compare it to putting a K&N filter on your electrical system.

This is not a big HP gainer, but does live up to it's claims. I would recommend the kit for any car out there.

Final Thoughts: The kit is clean and easy to install. Quality is very good. The kit is only about $100 to $120 depending on the color you choose. The kit comes in 3 sizes: small, medium and large. Small for your 4 cylinder applications, Medium for sixes and Large for rear Battery mount cars. It is wouth the cost. The kit has only been installed for a day. I will follow up with long term tests later.

I would like to thank Joe@SPMotorsports for taking the risk and carrying these wires untested. He will be happy to talk to you about getting a set for your car.
that's sounds cool, where in springfield are you at?
i think just grounding the cylinder head real good would get good results since having a good ground to the head would have less resistance for the spark plug current to ground out. i ran a 4 gauge wire from my negative battery terminla to the head on my mr2 when i had it and i think it made a slight differance. arent those hyper ground systems expensive. i would rather just buy my own wire and do my own thing using good quality 4 gauge wire. it would probally have the same results. the club 4ag forum had a post on the same subject and some one had made there own for way less $. i could see how it would improve top end power since the spark duration gets lower at higher rpm and a good ground would reduce missing and the current would be stronger with a better ground.
Posted By: 1314_dup1 Re: SPMotorsports- Hyperground Wires - 02/02/03 09:32 PM
i was interested in this (as well as showtime) a while back, but it didn't get many replies, and those that did, saw it as bs. it sounds like it might be really looking into.

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=genmods&Number=79031&Forum=genmods&Words=ground%20wires&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=6months&Main=78769&Search=true#Post79031
Posted By: 2112 Re: SPMotorsports- Hyperground Wires - 02/03/03 02:18 AM
It's not a BS kit at all. Please understand the concept of the kit. It is not a huge HP kit. It is designed to decrease the amount of resistance in the negative ground path. As stated above, you could probably make something on your own, which won't work. It's good for what it is intended to do. If you have questions about the kit, read up on it in some of the mags and visit the website. It's a good kit and it is only about $100. There are several $200 and up mods being offered on the market with worse results... and people keep buying them.
Posted By: 2112 Re: SPMotorsports- Hyperground Wires - 02/03/03 02:28 AM
Yes, you are right. Grounding the head would be better. The concept of this kit does just that and, ties together the head, intake manifold, block chassis, etc. after you spend the money and time building your own kit, the cost is about the same. If you have access to your own stuff at a great price, go for it. I'll even give you the wiring diagram... but it still will not work as well as this kit.
let's see if i am understanding this correctly:

basically you have just run more than one ground wire from different locations in the engine bay to the chasis and block right? so if i have lots of the thick ground wire laying around i could do this? or is there some kind of transfer box or adapter that is also nessecary? not trying to start a fight or anything, just a little hazy as to why someone couldn't do this on their own and have the same results.

your description of the effects sound good though, might have to check it out if it's only $100.
I COULD PROBALLY GET WIRES AND GOOD GROUNDING LOOPS TO DO THE HEADS MANIFOLD AND CHASSIS FOR WAY KLESS THAN $50. THEY SELL 4 GAUGE WIRE REAL CHEAP AT RADIO SHACK AND THE GROUNDIGN LOSP IF I REMEBR RIGTH WAS LIKE $1 EACH AND A BATTERY TERMINAL POST IS PRETTY LIKE $5. IM SURE IT WOULD WORK THE SAME. YOU JST PAY ALL THAT MONEY CAUSE IT LOOKS FANCY AND ITS ALREADY MADE AND THEY MAKE A GOOD PROFIT FROM IT. SIMPLY PUT ITS JUST CORRECTLY PLACED WIRES. ITS NOT SOME SUPER NEW TECHNOLOGY THAT TOOK A DECADE OF RESEARCH IN A SECRET LAB. ITS JUST COMMON SENSE IF YOU UNDERSTAND HOW RESISTANCE AFFECT CURRENT IN A ELECTRICAL CIRCUIT.
OH YEAH BY THE WAY I WOULD EB INTERESTED IN SEEING THAT WIRING DIAGRAM TO SEE WHATS INVOLVED IN INSTALLING THE KIT. MOST PEOEPL WOULD PROBALLY BE INTERESTED ON HOW IT AFFECTS THE ENGINE PERFORMANCE. i think just the fact that using bigger wire and more of it compared to the cheap thin factory stuff is what makes the differance. im just gonna try it on the engine block, head, intake manifold, chassis and mayeb even the afm.
Posted By: Russell-3L Re: SPMotorsports- Hyperground Wires - 02/03/03 06:04 AM
would this help my amp at all?
probally.
Posted By: Russell-3L Re: SPMotorsports- Hyperground Wires - 02/03/03 02:26 PM
any way i can just make it myself in stead of paying $100
Posted By: ATL-SVT_dup1 Re: SPMotorsports- Hyperground Wires - 02/03/03 02:35 PM
Yeah, I like Joe and SP motorsports, but that kit is ludicris! Buy 0 guage wire and you've done the same thing. I did this in my old corolla when I was forced to buy a H/O alternator due to current draw from my stereo. I had to upgrade the wire guage from Alt to Bat, upgrade the bat, then the ground wire accordingly. A bigger ground or more ground points isn't going to improve anything over stock. Unless you have an abnormal amount of current draw due to aftermarket components. You my friend just gave in to marketing.
well said atl-svt!
Posted By: 2112 Re: SPMotorsports- Hyperground Wires - 02/03/03 11:17 PM
OK, there seems to be a lot of debate about this kit...that is good. It's not rocket science, true, but if it is common sense, everyone would be doing it. There is a lot of discussion about running low gage monster cable. The reason that wont work is insulation and radio interference. These wires are 5 layer protected wires. Monster cable is not designed this way. The kit is only $99 bucks or so. It is a suggestion and info I am sharing with the group. One of the reasons the import crowd has soo many cool products is they work together and try new stuff. Some sucks and some is really, really good. By the time you buy and build your own kits, you will have spent about $50 or so and your home made kit won't work that well. Again, I am just sharing a good product with everyone. It seems the group is really bent on shooting everything down these days. Not everyone has the money for forced induction or 3.0 litre projects. If I could get a product that does actually produce 5hp, rev higher, be easier on the ignition system(allowing for more high end hp) and get better gas mileage for about $100, I would jump all over it
Posted By: EuroTour Re: SPMotorsports- Hyperground Wires - 02/03/03 11:30 PM
Are these plug wires, or just replacements for other wires? Are these similiar to the Nology spark plug wires with sperate grounds per plug or am i way off??? Can't find information on SPMotorsports site either.
Posted By: fastcougar_dup1 Re: SPMotorsports- Hyperground Wires - 02/04/03 04:13 AM
Originally posted by SVTMike99:
Are these plug wires, or just replacements for other wires? Are these similiar to the Nology spark plug wires with sperate grounds per plug or am i way off??? Can't find information on SPMotorsports site either.

read the original postn one more time
Posted By: ATL-SVT_dup1 Re: SPMotorsports- Hyperground Wires - 02/04/03 12:26 PM
Originally posted by 2112:
OK, there seems to be a lot of debate about this kit...that is good. It's not rocket science, true, but if it is common sense, everyone would be doing it. There is a lot of discussion about running low gage monster cable. The reason that wont work is insulation and radio interference. These wires are 5 layer protected wires. Monster cable is not designed this way. The kit is only $99 bucks or so. It is a suggestion and info I am sharing with the group. One of the reasons the import crowd has soo many cool products is they work together and try new stuff. Some sucks and some is really, really good. By the time you buy and build your own kits, you will have spent about $50 or so and your home made kit won't work that well. Again, I am just sharing a good product with everyone. It seems the group is really bent on shooting everything down these days. Not everyone has the money for forced induction or 3.0 litre projects. If I could get a product that does actually produce 5hp, rev higher, be easier on the ignition system(allowing for more high end hp) and get better gas mileage for about $100, I would jump all over it

Wait a minute man, you just said 5 to 8 hp over on fordcontour.org. Make up your fake marketing statistics and stick to em at least. For all the people who don't understand exactly what sort of bowl [censored] this guy is trying to pass, look here and see how the ignition works...

ignitions

See those little tiny black lines coming off the spark plug? This is where this mystery kit works its magic gaining 5 whole hp. If you believe that, I've got some ocean front property in arizona baby!

As far as trying to disprove everything new??? NO, but this garbage?? Yes!! This is utter crap, I've spent a lot of time building car stereos and with the help of grandfather who is an electrical engineer I've learned a thing or two about how in car electronics work. The most important thing to know when dealing with electronics is that it's 90% marketing. Take the capacitor for car audio...... well that's a whole other can of worms. I did send an email to Joe at SP as a concerned customer. I did not see this 'kit' posted on his site, THANK GOD. But I did direct him to this post and explain how I thought it would negatively effect his business to sell this crap. You sir have nothing that can't be had for half or less than half what you want for it. And forget whether or not you need it, you don't even want it. There is no 'miracle ground' that you've been hiding away only now to bestowe upon us weary car people who are longing for 5-8 more.... er... I'm mean 5 more hp and we just can't afford those darn superchargers and 3 liters.
Posted By: 2112 Re: SPMotorsports- Hyperground Wires - 02/05/03 01:12 AM
OK, there seems to be some confusion on the original post. I never made any fake claims about this kit. Never said anything about the plug wires or false claims about HP figures. Joe at SP was nice enough to take a chance on a product and order it for me. Thank you Joe. Let's just lock this thread and end the debate.
i was jsut curious as to what it did. i would love to find a way to smooth out my car at every chance i get. this sounds like one of those things too. thanks for the info.
© CEG Archives