Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
While I love my CSVT I have always been a Pontiac man and so has my Dad. He was over my house this weekend and I had a chance to snap some pic's of his car 1987 Pontiac Fiero GT w/Miller & Woods Turbo! Rear engine, rear wheel drive, 5spd and about 225hp!

More pic's here web page

What do you think!

Scott
Those cars were sweet, esp. once GM got the handling right.

Mid-engined, lightweight...

Another unexpectedly great car from a mundane mass-producer, who then killed the car for all the wrong reasons.

Your Dad's car is very clean. Very nice.
Well, since you're showin' off your dad's Scott, I figured I'd show my old one.. not turbo.. but one torquie little fun mobile.

But your dad's is very nice, he has the stage 3 scoops on the back and tuuuuurbooo. Mine didn't have turbos but mine had ttops... which was a rare find. Just gotta love that maroon color!

You've gotta love the fire extinguisher in the trunk though

I thought I would show some of yall out there the possibilities of these cars.. this last one is a chop top. Don't adjust your screens.. yes.. the front windshield has been laid back 8 degrees... ooooooo

But now I've got my tour and I'm happy with it!
Posted By: SVT24 Re: My Dad's very cool car...notice the Turbo! - 09/02/03 05:34 PM
Nice Turbo setup!

You guys are making me think of my old Fiero's. I had 4 of them within 2 years. The last one had a completely redone motor, and tons of hop ups. With 100HP of nitrous it moved really nice. That chop top one is nice too, V8 archie does some awesome work!!! Go to his site and check out his kits. He even has an LT1 chop top with suicide doors. www.v8archie.com
YOu weren't kidding when you said that car was in great shape. It looks fresh off the showroom floor!
Originally posted by WOLF24:
Nice Turbo setup!

You guys are making me think of my old Fiero's. I had 4 of them within 2 years. The last one had a completely redone motor, and tons of hop ups. With 100HP of nitrous it moved really nice. That chop top one is nice too, V8 archie does some awesome work!!! Go to his site and check out his kits. He even has an LT1 chop top with suicide doors. www.v8archie.com

That silver choptop was one of V8 archies

This was our neighborhood collection
GM politics erased the Fiero after '88. They were on their way to dominate GTP and GTU when GM got pissed when their Vetts couldn't hang with them.

Here is a little info from Huffaker racings history:

By 1984 Pontiac had an interesting project assignment for us: The Pontiac Fiero for IMSA GTU competition. We developed the Super-Duty 4-cylinder engine which proved extremely potent in many forms of racing.

In 1985- 1986, Bob Earl and Terry Visger drove our Pontiac Fieroâ??s in the IMSA GTU events. In 27 races Bob earned 16 pole positions (nine records), scored ten victories ( led 23 races), and set ten fastest race laps, (6 records). Terry continued that trend.

All in all, 15 Huffaker Fiero racecars were produced. These racecars and engines are still winning championships in Puerto Rico. Please see: www.jorgediaz.com

In 1987 we added an IMSA GT-Lights car to our stable. We purchase a Spice chassis to utilize our Pontiac Super-Duty development program. More records and more wins culminating with combination GTU and GT-Lights entries at the 1989 Sebring 12 hr. endurance race where we won with both classes, a record for a single team that still stands. The Huffaker racing team won the pit-stop competition every year we entered, beating out all of the factory teams as well. Drivers: Dan Marvin & Terry Visger set the records. Others that shared driving chores from time to time were: Domimic Dobson, Bob Lesnett, Bruce Qvale, Dave Rocha, Parker Johnstone among others.

The Quad4 was one Bad-A$$ 4-banger in it's day!

Scott
Wow, you guys are freaking me out... I've been researching V8 Fiero swaps all morning because I found a V6 5 speed chassis locally for $300 with a rod knock... If you guys can tell the future as well as you can seemingly read my mind, let me know how my V8 swap project goes. I don't want to get in over my head if I don't have to, LOL!
Originally posted by bnoon:
Wow, you guys are freaking me out... I've been researching V8 Fiero swaps all morning because I found a V6 5 speed chassis locally for $300 with a rod knock... If you guys can tell the future as well as you can seemingly read my mind, let me know how my V8 swap project goes. I don't want to get in over my head if I don't have to, LOL!

Brad,

Maybe it will tur out like one of these
Slow upload but some cool video clips!
Fiero LT1 multimedia

Scott
Nuts to the V-8, Go with a Series II 3800 Supercharged V-6 Buick engine. A really close friend of mine had a 87 notchback and he put a N/A 3800 in and he was put 180 down at the wheels, thru the Buick ATX. The install was super clean, it looked factory. I'm diggin for pics right now. I had a black early 84 and an original yellow 88 that I ran around in for years. The yellow was my show car, 1 of 1166 made. Man I miss that car!!!
Found em! Heres my Fiero..

Heres My friends Series I 3800 w/180hp, 34 MPG! 0-60 in 6sec........

Heres a Series II 3800 w/260hp, God only knows......

Posted By: Swazo Re: My Dad's very cool car...notice the Turbo! - 09/03/03 12:54 AM
There is a huge aftermarket for LT1 and LS1 V8's, so that's where I'd go personally. Starting off with a $300 Fiero you could put in a salvaged LS1 w/T56 for $2K on up for a good low mile setup. I'm not sure if you can use the T56 in the Fiero........but if you can I better stop thinking about this or I might want to try to do my own project Fiero later on.
Funny this was posted I just saw again a Fiero w/ LS6 over the weekend. I also saw him at an Scca event last year. He could barley keep the car from sliding at every turn . It was pretty impressive
The SC 3800 V6 swaps are lame compared to a 400+ HP NA V8 swap though and the weight difference is under 100 pounds (150 pounds vs the NA 3800 V6). I've ridden in a 350 HP V8 Fiero and it was like ridding in a rocket powered rollerskate! It was faster than the XJ-R I've ridden in and faster than a GSXR-1100 that was racing us at the time. The only thing it wasn't faster than at the time was my '70 vette with a stroker 420 in small block putting 510 to the wheels and I could only barely pull him! Imagine putting the same 420 small block in the Fiero!!!!!!!
That looks sweet. My dad had an 85-86 GT.(I don't remember the year) I thought it was pretty quick. I'd like to get one. The one with the chopped top looks good.
haha jeremy man i was lookin at the pics and saw the parking pass i was like wait tha tlooks awfully lot like godwins parkin pass...look at who posted i was like d'oh, haha i feel stuuuupid, the new ones this year tho are black and white
Nice!!!! That is awesome how clean it looks for how old it is!!! You can't go wrong with that combo!!! Must be a blast to drive.
peace
I think the ultimate engine setup for the Fiero was a 3.4L DOHC that was donated from a z34 monte carlo. 215hp, with about 200lbs of torque, if I do remember correctly. Retard the exhaust cams about 13 degrees. Put a better intake... and exhaust *it would have to be custom for the fiero size anyway* and a few other small details and you then have 280hp NA... now, drop a t3/t4 turbo in there with an intercooler... 350hp.... with a 8000rpm rev range... shoot man, it would sound awesome. I was going to do it, but then I realized I'm a teenager with insurrance to pay... .

If you really really want to learn a thing or 2 about fieros, go to:

www.fiero.nl

It is the ultimate in info for you.

I had this whole stealth intercooler set up designed. It would rock. Man, it almost makes me wish I still had the old ttop. I wouldn't have wanted to mess up that rare type of fiero. My original intentions were to sell that car, to buy a fiero with a sunroof and then with the extra money from the ttop fiero, put it toward engine and suspension parts. But then insurrance went up.. for NO...can I say it again, NO reason.. thanks Statefarm. . So, I paid 2400 for my car.. fixed it up with about $100. Drove it for about 5000 miles and then sold it on Ebay to a guy in washington state for $3585. I ended up buying my dad's 98 contour se sport mtx...for $2500. (they cut me a pretty darn good deal, I just think they didn't want me to get another fiero.) But I'm pleased with what I have, but I really liked the uniqueness of the fiero. I mean, I nearly wave to all contours.. but most of the times they are old grandmas or just women in their late 40s.. If you saw a fiero GT in good condition driving on the road.. shoot, you could be willing to bet that you could pull over and have a 30 minute conversation...

HAHA, I forgot, I even had a gal, mid twenties, tell me at a gas station that she once had one and really missed it. I chuckled and said yeah, I like it.. it's a good car. So I finish pumping the gas and head in to pay.. and when I'm coming out.. she asks if I'm seeing anyone... now, has your contour ever done that for you?!? The fiero--just sexy!

But like I was saying, 3.4 DOHC! DO it, the torque curve on those things is crazy.. nearly flat.. if I can remember correctly, and the sound, just lovely. Guys put them in the "Ferrari 350 spyder" kits that they put in the car because the 350 stands for 3.5L DOHC, of course.. that's ferrari.. but you get where I'm going with this. Shoot, I have pictures.. let me get them..

Well I couldn't find the pictures, but I do have the wiring harness schematics.
Jeremy,

You are a Fiero nut you and my dad could talk for hours about these cars. Nice to see somebody so young knowing so much

Scott
Posted By: Swazo Re: My Dad's very cool car...notice the Turbo! - 09/06/03 08:44 PM
Man.......there are a TON of sub-$1K Fiero's out there just dying for a 3.4, 3.8, Northstar or a SBC V8 swap! I never knew how cool a Fiero could be
Originally posted by scottd60:
Jeremy,

You are a Fiero nut you and my dad could talk for hours about these cars. Nice to see somebody so young knowing so much

Scott

Haha, thanks scott.
Thats a real sleeper for sure Modded Fieros are around, you just have to ask to have the hood opened, thats all. I've seen everything from S/C'd 3.8L Buick motors, L98 Vette engines to Northstar Caddy motors and I've been lucky enough to see thesr rides in person too Even at the Woodward Dream Cruize this year a guy parked w/ us and he had a Fiero too, but his was tubbed and had a s/b Chevy w/ dual quads Those 87-88' Fieros look the best IMO.
They look cool and are fun to drive, but I had to put a clutch in one once... Maybe I just wasn't as good then as I am now, but the tour is so much easier to work on and that's saying a lot considering just how much of a pita it is to work on a V6 tour at times.
My first 2 cars were fieros as mentioned above. When I had my first fiero I won a set of polished metal valve stem caps with the fiero logo on the tops. I have had them on every car I have owned until today to pay respects to my first car. Until today, when I came out to wax my SVT this morning someone had stolen 3 of 4 So that tradition is broken!
© CEG Archives