Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Travis_dup2 CAT CAMS Intrest Need Replys - 11/22/03 08:58 PM
Ok Were going to try a new thread the old one is too long The only way i can get a steady supply of the 2.5/3.0 Cams is by becoming a dealer for cat cams. SO I need about 10 people to commit to this. If the price is right that is. I have an email through the lines right now asking the price im expecting around 700 for a set of 4. I also have my hooks in some stateside contacts but none of this is gunna matter if there isnt an intrest at the price level you all want to pay. So at what price and how many would be interested.
Posted By: Swazo Re: CAT CAMS Intrest Need Replys - 11/22/03 09:34 PM
Why do you need a steady supply? JRP is eager to get new dealers for Cat cams, but you can buy them on an idividual bases from them (in a set of course)

They did say a group buy is an option to lower the cost, but you don't need to be a dealer to do that. If you take yourself out of the loop and allow a GB w/ JRP, the price will drop right there. I don't think you're trying to pull a fast one....just an idea.

Note:
Your post seems like an interest check for a group buy. Might want to post it in the GB section if that's what you are doing.

previous cat cam thread, I know I saved a link to it

Posted By: Travis_dup2 Re: CAT CAMS Intrest Need Replys - 11/22/03 10:06 PM
Well i was speaking strictly with catcams cutting JRP out of it. I was just looking for intrests. Iv talked to 2 of the people who i know deal with catcams and im waiting for a reply on them. Ill be sending in an email to JRP today as well. Asking for prices and dealer information. I was trying to get the distributor spot but they turned me down on it as they have had a working relation with jrp for some time.

Plus I work on numerous other engines Mitzu nissan vw and honda I just want a dealer title for the company so i can benifit as well as you all.
Posted By: Swazo Re: CAT CAMS Intrest Need Replys - 11/22/03 10:54 PM
Right on, cut JRP out of it even. I like your thinking!

OK....

The only thing that's bugging me about these cams at this point is the fact that both intake lobes are the same. What's the point of having a primary and secondary port since that's the case? Would keeping the secondaries in place still be an option to try to keep lower end torque with these new cams? OR (and I doubt this) would a gutted LIM help out? My guess is it would be very sluggish in the bottom end that way. I'm trying to fathom a duratec with these cams..... any thoughts?

Posted By: Swazo Re: CAT CAMS Intrest Need Replys - 11/23/03 12:02 AM
Ouch....retail is 1479 - 1599......unless SOMEONE becomes a dealer and hooks all of us up with a CEG discount
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: CAT CAMS Intrest Need Replys - 11/23/03 12:26 AM
Originally posted by Swazo:
Ouch....retail is 1479 - 1599......unless SOMEONE becomes a dealer and hooks all of us up with a CEG discount

Thats about what I expected. I thought $700 for all for was a bit low. But it would be nice.
Posted By: Travis_dup2 Re: CAT CAMS Intrest Need Replys - 11/23/03 06:45 PM
Your secondary always helps you the same amount regaurdless of the cam. Actaully thats not true either... the bigger the cam the more its going to help. The 2 stage intake gives you alot more drivability so you can run huge cams without completely destroying the bottem end of your tach.

The extra 8 degrees of seat duration isnt enough diffrence to really affect things much anyways. 3 ft lbs of torque over 5000 you gain and 3 ft lbs of torque under 3000 you loose i mean no one can actaully feel that diffrence. Its not gunna matter anyways when you switch to a cam with alot more lift. Your going to get more torque everywhere over the svt primary secondary cam because of the extra lift. The bigger the cam the more "vtec" kick youll feel when the secondaries pop open.
Posted By: Travis_dup2 Re: CAT CAMS Intrest Need Replys - 11/23/03 06:52 PM
I need a 3000 dollar initial order wholesale price to get a dealer tag by the way. So i need atleast 6 commitments. Im not shelling 3 grand out just to figure out no one wants it. So what do you guys think?
Posted By: NeilsCougar Re: CAT CAMS Intrest Need Replys - 11/23/03 11:01 PM
i think im wishing i had $700

i'm going to cross-link the post with Cam info at the cougar forums. there's a few power junkies there
Posted By: chknhwk_dup1 Re: CAT CAMS Interest Need Replys - 11/24/03 03:03 PM
I'd be interested if I could get a set of four for $700ish.
Posted By: green SVT Re: CAT CAMS Interest Need Replys - 11/24/03 03:43 PM
I'm down count me in!
Posted By: Travis_dup2 Re: CAT CAMS Interest Need Replys - 11/24/03 10:56 PM
Ok just emailed JRP for wholesaling side of the house going to see what they come back with. Also if you all could advertise the thread that`d be great we need more people. Just 2 more people and we should make the cut easy.
Posted By: TMoose02 Re: CAT CAMS Interest Need Replys - 11/25/03 12:16 AM
I'm also very interested. I've been getting info from JRP here and there about the cat cams. I still am not sure though if i have $700 at the moment. I will deffinatly let you know within the next few days.
Posted By: Swazo Re: CAT CAMS Interest Need Replys - 11/25/03 01:14 AM
What's the time line like? I'm in for a set if they're 700 or so also.
Posted By: Travis_dup2 Re: CAT CAMS Interest Need Replys - 11/26/03 05:26 PM
Just got a reply from one of my stateside contacts and im waiting on him to getme some prices. JRP hasn't responded yet. Time Line will be soon. Within a week Ill have definate prices and with my stateside guy I dont need any specific number of people to make this happen 1 at time is ok. On the prices Im holding my breath that he can make this happen for me.
Posted By: green SVT Re: CAT CAMS Interest Need Replys - 12/01/03 03:30 PM
Is this dead or what?
Posted By: Travis_dup2 Re: CAT CAMS Interest Need Replys - 12/01/03 07:16 PM
Its a holiday weekend guys common now.. However i do have [censored] news... Looking at mid 1000 to low 1200 depending on if your running roller follower or regular shipped. Granted i did you all good 400-500 dollars off retail but Im sorry i couldnt get it as low as i thought. Best thing is this deal doesnt have to be sealed all at once. I can sell these on a one off basis. I definatly think this is worth it. Big gains in going upto these but paying the price for it seems like something i cant get around. Again sorry for misqouting the price so bad.
Posted By: Travis_dup2 Re: CAT CAMS Interest Need Replys - 12/01/03 09:58 PM
Ok price is nailed at 1180 for the regular (any grind) and 1300 for the roller (any grind) plus shipping. Im selling 5 sets at this price to get some circulating then im giong to 1350 (1479 MSRP) for the regular and 1450 (1599 MSRP) for the rollers which is still 200 below retail on both I have to wait 3-4 weeks before they are shipped in so delivery in 5 weeks. Sorry it will take so long but the account will have to be setup. I really cant wait to get a set of these on a dyno

Posted By: Swazo Re: CAT CAMS Interest Need Replys - 12/02/03 08:42 AM
I'm going to have to pass on these since xmas is so close.....sorry.
Posted By: ov3n_dup1 Re: CAT CAMS Interest Need Replys - 12/02/03 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Travis:
Ok price is nailed at 1180 for the regular (any grind) and 1300 for the roller (any grind) plus shipping. Im selling 5 sets at this price to get some circulating then im giong to 1350 (1479 MSRP) for the regular and 1450 (1599 MSRP) for the rollers which is still 200 below retail on both I have to wait 3-4 weeks before they are shipped in so delivery in 5 weeks. Sorry it will take so long but the account will have to be setup. I really cant wait to get a set of these on a dyno

don't all contour/taurus 2.5/3.0 duratec heads use roller followers?
Posted By: green SVT Re: CAT CAMS Interest Need Replys - 12/02/03 06:00 PM
Ok this confuses the heck out of me. ok I want just a streetable cam, i'm not going forced induction besides maybe nitrous later, i have basic boltons and i want some powergain. what am I going to want to buy and are these direct or will they take custom fabrication. I dont want to drop 1400 dollars and get the wrong cam. And whats this with roller and all that, what does that mean?
sorry for the retarded questions but i dont want to waste $$
Posted By: Travis_dup2 Re: CAT CAMS Interest Need Replys - 12/02/03 08:06 PM
Installed Pressure (N @ Spec. length)
Intake 228N@39.99mm (51lbs@1.57in)
Exhaust 228N@39.99mm (51lbs@1.57in)
Service Limit 10% Pressure loss @ 30.09
Out of Square Limit 1%
Rocker Arm Ratio 1.8:1
Hydraulic Valve Tappet ******
Diameter (Std) 16-15.988mm (0.6290-0.6294in)
Clearance to Bore 0.018-0.069mm (0.0007-0.0027in)
Service Limit 0.016mm (0.0006in)
Hydraulic Leakdown Rate 5-25 seconds

The standard mondeo/duratec heads come with a hydraulic tappet.

You can upgrade to full rollerized assemblies for more rpms/less friction

As for cam selection I can definatly help you out with that. This is my speciality but I need to know where you want the power, whether your 3.0 or 2.5 auto or manaul and all the bolt ons that you have. What intake assembly your using. What heads and with what mods. What exhaust upgrades, and what final drive ratio. What your future plans are also. These are drop in. When the cams come out and get shipped i will have a set and ill have my set before anyone has theirs. So there will be a how to on the drop in and more then likely a video. Just so no one goes crazy and messes up the install.

I figured the price would shake a few. But like i said the offer is open until they stop making the cams
Posted By: TMoose02 Re: CAT CAMS Interest Need Replys - 12/03/03 09:21 PM
Travis good job with getting this GB going correctly. I'll be getting in contact with you after x-mas to get me some of these cams.
Posted By: Travis_dup2 Re: CAT CAMS Interest Need Replys - 12/07/03 12:16 AM
I think iv got 2 or 3 hooked over in NECO forums and 1 confirmed over here. Anyone wanna give me an in or out?
Posted By: NeilsCougar Re: CAT CAMS Interest Need Replys - 01/07/04 05:13 AM
Whats the deal with these cat cams? havent heard anything in a while. Its after christmas now, and surprisingly ive got a bit of cash flow.

How much for a set of 4 'stage 2' cams?

well you tell me... Ive got intake SVT upper/lower/tb/Brullen Y/2.5" quazi dual exhaust/will gut my precats

I want a boost in low end tq and a damn noticable increase in HP over 3.5krpm, preferably passing the 200whp mark for this kind of money.

Not saying im spending the $ for this reason but im tired of the dick i work with continuously trying to put me down by saying his Acura-TL will run circles around my "crappy *mercury engine* powered" car... itd just be nice to hand him his jap-crap loving ass one day.
Posted By: Travis_dup2 Re: CAT CAMS Interest Need Replys - 01/08/04 03:01 PM
1400 Iv got the cam stages setup the way i want them. I can give you straight stage 2`s but the setup I can get you into will be better in most ways. Youll get alot more torque. Are you Manual or Auto?
Posted By: chknhwk_dup1 Re: CAT CAMS Interest Need Replys - 01/08/04 04:22 PM
How does 'your' setup differ from the Stage II's? And what is the price difference if any?
Posted By: Travis_dup2 Re: CAT CAMS Interest Need Replys - 01/08/04 08:26 PM
There isnt any price diffrence. Its just that when they first come from the factory they make them "straight up" you get a 216 cam or a 224 cam on intake and exhaust. But alot of times you dont need as much exhaust, or you need more intake cam to get a better spread of power. Having a diffrent exhaust cam from intake almost always gets you more power. So my stage 2 cam might be the 232 intake cam with a 244 exhaust. The 216 or catcams stage 1 intake cam might not even be on my list of cam stages except for forced induction applications. I can also give you whatever you want straight from the factory. I make a sell either way, but Iv done my homework on these to get happy costumers.
Posted By: chknhwk_dup1 Re: CAT CAMS Interest Need Replys - 01/08/04 10:55 PM
And these are billet ground camshafts, right? I'm still doing my own research, too.

Ballpark, right now untuned I'm putting down 202 hp and 180ft/lbs at the front wheels with headwork, SVT cams and three liter with 10.7:1 compression. With the package you recommend what do you think I will gain; both peak and across the board.
Posted By: NeilsCougar Re: CAT CAMS Interest Need Replys - 01/09/04 05:25 AM
$1400? what happened to cheap to get them circulating (~$700-$1000)?

My sig says I drive an MTX.
With previously stated mods (no headwork, 2.5l) whereabouts do you think ill be? Im probly somewhere like 165whp at the moment.
Posted By: Travis_dup2 Re: CAT CAMS Interest Need Replys - 01/09/04 03:48 PM
Chknhwk:
Yes they are billet. Very nice pieces much stronger then stock.

With your 3.0L and the good flowing heads id put ballpark around 230-250. Depending on how aggresive you get with the cams. Its always a trade. Bigger cams mean less meat below 2500 rpms everything after that is either about even or much better then stock or svt cams. Id say the stage 3 set would give you the biggest gain without any peak losses. Go bigger then this and your peak torque number will probably start dropping. The 3`s might lope a little also, but not as bad as in a 2.5 because youv got alot more displacement. You might even wanna try a stage 4 if your feeling dangerous. With all the lowend grunt you get with the 3.0 liters of fun. If you traded that for topend. It would be a very dangerous machine. Also If you could get me a flow sheet for your ported heads or tell me how aggressive you ported them I might be able to get you an even better cam setup. Dont be surprised if your injectors get angry and you have to upgrade.

Neilscougar:
They`ve already started circulating. There are still a couple people on here who im holding places for on the cam list too. Im hoping they will get in contact with me soon about this.

With the 2.5 id say 185-210whp isnt out of reach. Again depending on how aggresive you want to go. With a 2.5 and a manual Id go really aggresive. The engine doesnt need to be torquey.Like a stage 3 or 4 setup lopey and racey yes but the 2.5 is small and the componets are lighter so your looking at a more rev friendly engine. Use it to its strengths. Thats my opinion.
Posted By: Swazo Re: CAT CAMS Interest Need Replys - 01/09/04 08:11 PM
Have you heard about the intake cam set pricing yet?
Posted By: Travis_dup2 Re: CAT CAMS Interest Need Replys - 01/09/04 08:20 PM
Letme try to get ahold of him again. Im guessing it will be right at half the price. That would make the most sense. Mayby a little more then half because they have to be special ordered. 7-800 is my best guess Ill let you know as soon as I hear back from him.
Posted By: chknhwk_dup1 Re: CAT CAMS Interest Need Replys - 01/09/04 10:40 PM
What are the gains (if any) of running just the intake cams?

BTW, if you do one thing then do something else, then it is then. If one thing is bigger than another then it is than.

Sorry.
Posted By: Swazo Re: CAT CAMS Interest Need Replys - 01/09/04 10:56 PM
Check on custom grind sets if you would, I'm not sure of the existing profiles for my setup/plans
Posted By: Travis_dup2 Re: CAT CAMS Interest Need Replys - 01/10/04 03:21 PM
A major piece of the power comes from just the intake cams. The big issue is that you can get basically free horsepower for no loss in torque with a correct sized exhaust cam. Over the stage 2 intake though your going to run into a point where its really nessasary to run an exhaust cam. This is a good option for people who want to run a forced induction system. Lets your engine breath without opening up the overlap. But for N/A you get alot more options for upgrades in the header system. If you make your own headers or get a custom set you can power tune them to a certain rpm band because of the larger over lap. This really doesnt work very well on small overlap cams because there isnt enough time when both valves are open. Plus overlap only badly effects the 2000 rpm and lower area. So by popping in a bigger exhaust cam you loose a couple of footpounds below 2000 rpms and everything else gets bigger. There are not very many upgrades that come with a near free compromise for horsepower. But this one doesnt really sacrifice much so most people get both.

The customs are way too expensive. These cams really cover about everything. They are seperated by 8 degree`s all the way up. Anything less the 8 degrees and I dont think you would really feel or see the diffrence. On average each curve minuses or adds about 3-4 percent in torque. So smaller increments would only be worth 3-4 ft lbs of torque in the in between humps. What are you looking for just exactly?
Posted By: Swazo Re: CAT CAMS Interest Need Replys - 01/10/04 03:47 PM
I was considering getting a custom grind that might suit my headwork a bit better. The SVT cams have that 8* you're talking about on the intake side and with my valve options.....I personally think it might be benificial to have the secondary ports open a bit longer. That was the only issue I was having with the currant grinds available.
Posted By: Travis_dup2 Re: CAT CAMS Interest Need Replys - 01/10/04 06:44 PM
I dont think they would offer a primary secondary cam. Without getting into all that. Their cam lathes arnt setup to where that would be easy to do. I know they are 2000 plus. Especially for a custom setup like that.
Posted By: Swazo Re: CAT CAMS Interest Need Replys - 01/10/04 06:46 PM
Well that is not an option then. PM sent
Posted By: chknhwk_dup1 Re: CAT CAMS Interest Need Replys - 01/10/04 06:47 PM

The customs are way too expensive. What are you looking for just exactly?

Actually, I can get the custom cams for the same price. I'm just trying to get your tuning opinions on these cams.

I'm looking for ~240-250 fwhp NA. With as few drivability concerns as possible.
Posted By: Swazo Re: CAT CAMS Interest Need Replys - 01/10/04 07:21 PM
Oh yeah.....I forgot about your sources
Posted By: chknhwk_dup1 Re: CAT CAMS Interest Need Replys - 01/11/04 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Swazo:
Oh yeah.....I forgot about your sources

They're yours, too! It's not a secret man. Well, you gave me the info...
Posted By: Travis_dup2 Re: CAT CAMS Interest Need Replys - 01/23/04 04:16 AM
So it dies down again... thought id bring it back to the front.
Posted By: mcon99_dup1 Re: CAT CAMS Interest Need Replys - 01/23/04 01:37 PM
So it dies down again... thought id bring it back to the front.

because no one is serious about making power around here

I can't believe an opportunity for not only one but multiple different styles of cams come along and there isn't people jumping all over it. It will never get any better, easier or cheaper for our engines...

and one more question about "how much HP can I expect" and I would just cancel this thread 'cause anyone asking that question obviously has no idea how cams can help them, nor the understanding that EVERY engine & EVERY setup is different...

Posted By: Swazo Re: CAT CAMS Interest Need Replys - 01/23/04 03:06 PM
Have you gotten a price on the intake cams alone yet? That's the only thing I've been waiting on...
Posted By: Travis_dup2 Re: CAT CAMS Interest Need Replys - 01/23/04 07:06 PM
Actaully in the last couple of days iv picked up a few people. Pretty soon the dyno sheets are going to come out. That will clear away the doubt.
Posted By: dallasb84 Re: CAT CAMS Interest Need Replys - 08/22/04 09:00 AM
i might be in if they come with gears. i read somewheres that they do not. and if they do they have to be adjustable or im not interested. if so i can get the 800 bux no prob
© CEG Archives