Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Tisby Headlights always on! - 09/07/04 11:56 PM
OK, my headlights are on 24/7. Not the parking or taillights, jsut the headlights. To turn them off I have to remove fuse/relay R9 from the power distribution box. If I put it back in, the lights come back on! Even if I wait 10-15 minutes, the headlights come back on. I'm not looking forward to doing this little manuever during the upcoming winter. AS far as the headlight switch recall goes, I called one of the dealers in my area and they told me that it wasn't for my car and they couldn't help me. However, whenever I have my headlights on for over an hour, my headlight switch gets very hot. HELP!
Posted By: Stryker Re: Headlights always on! - 09/08/04 12:14 AM
DRL????
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Headlights always on! - 09/08/04 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Stryker:
DRL????

they usually shut iff once the key leaves the ignition
Posted By: Tisby Re: Headlights always on! - 09/08/04 12:29 AM
The keys are out of the ignition. I have left the car all day while I'm at school and I put the fuse back in and like magic, the headlights are back on! What is "DRL"?
Posted By: Stryker Re: Headlights always on! - 09/08/04 12:33 AM
hmmm, well i didnt realize it was with the keys out of the ignition.

DRL=Daytime Running Lights

there is a simple, temporary fix to this, disconnect your batt to keep it from draining, when you shut off the car.

check your headlight wiring (down where the bulbs connect and up by the switch) and then check your wiring harness for the motor. it is most likely a problem in the switch or wiring...

v6 or 4 cyl?? ATX or MTX???
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Headlights always on! - 09/08/04 01:01 AM
hmmm..it may not be directly associated with the ignition, I was just guessing about that, but check all your wiring
Posted By: pdqford Re: Headlights always on! - 09/08/04 02:44 AM
Originally posted by teodoro:
OK, my headlights are on 24/7. Not the parking or taillights, jsut the headlights. To turn them off I have to remove fuse/relay R9 from the power distribution box.

Maybe relay R9 is 'stuck' in the 'on' position? Try exchanging R9 and another relay.
Posted By: Tisby Re: Headlights always on! - 09/08/04 03:40 AM
Great idea, wish I would have thought of it. Unfortunatly, it didn't work. Some more information that may be useful...

-If the highbeams are engaged, then they'll also stay on.
-It had rained heavily for the 2-3 days before this. Even driving only 5-10mph caused water to be thrown up around and vehicle and also up into the engine bay.
Posted By: pdqford Re: Headlights always on! - 09/08/04 04:38 AM
If another relay pulled in and lite the lights, then you must have a short to power some place that is energizing the relay. Could be anywhere along the wire that feeds power to the relay. Could even be inside the light switch.
Posted By: TheAlmightyMe Re: Headlights always on! - 09/08/04 07:22 PM
If the rain was that bad, water could have gotten into the wiring, or the fuse/relay box.

Try pulling out the box and remove all fuses and relays. Use a hair dryer in order to remove all water and moisture from the box.

If the issue still persists,you most likely got water in the wiring somewhere.
Posted By: EricF Re: Headlights always on! - 09/08/04 07:30 PM
I'd say its the light switch, he says its hot,
Quick thing to check as well, pull the switch out,
disconnect its wiring harness, see if that helps?
Posted By: Roz 1999 SVT-C Re: Headlights always on! - 09/08/04 07:35 PM
start with thelight switch if relay and fues are not the problems.

i had to replace mine i was getting the same problem.

Lupe
Posted By: AquaFBody Re: Headlights always on! - 09/09/04 12:07 AM
Do you live in canada decause if you do you have day time running lights our american tours dont have them.
Posted By: Roz 1999 SVT-C Re: Headlights always on! - 09/09/04 01:14 AM
Originally posted by AquaFBody:
Do you live in canada decause if you do you have day time running lights our american tours dont have them.

Read a little close....it even happens when the key is out of the ignition even witht he light switch turned to off.

Lupe

P.S. theres 2 "T"'s In Bottle, in your signature

Oh, and switch the "l" and "e" places.
© CEG Archives