Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: exvw looking at SVTs - 01/24/05 06:00 PM
Hey guys,

I am in the market for a car, and I think the SVT Contour fits the bill.

I recently sold my 97 GTI VR6, I really loved that car, but it was too much of a headache for me (needed lots of work).

I am just wondering what I should be looking for in an SVT. What years are more desireable? Does hi-mileage matter in your opinions? What should I expect to pay for a nice example, prefereably unmodified (I don't want one that's been abused)?

What are the maintenace issues (I hear the waterpump is a weak link). Also, should I go for an E0 or E1 (I think that's what the models are)?

Feel free to enlighten me

Posted By: JB1 Re: looking at SVTs - 01/24/05 06:33 PM
e0=early 98=1998.0 to 1998.5
e1=late 98=1998.5+
then we have 99 and 00 model years.

each successive model had upgrades and decontenting. any model will serve you well. there are some common problem areas such as the weak stock diff but these are pretty well documented now. most of the forums have useful info pinned at the top. many of the common problems can be found in the faq linked to the main page. other than simple maintenance issues i have had no problems with my csvt. take the plunge, you will enjoy a csvt immensely.
Posted By: TexasRealtor Re: looking at SVTs - 01/24/05 07:45 PM
IMO, try to stick to the 99-00 with milage under 75K. You'll run into many headaches(tranny, fuel, pump, IAC,etc.) but his website will save you a$$ (and sanity) every time.
Posted By: MassContour Re: looking at SVTs - 01/24/05 08:26 PM
Get the lowest-mileage car you can afford, and realize that these things aren't "I've got 200,000 miles on it and I've only done oil changes" Civics. They can be a little fussy, and a little tempermental. Take it to a trusted mechanic to give it a once-over. They're great cars to drive _ I'm still amazed sometimes when I hit the twisties, and oh, that exhaust note! _ but they're not necessarily great cars to own, if you know what I mean.
Posted By: Klasse Act Re: looking at SVTs - 01/24/05 09:04 PM
I'd stick with a 2000 just because its the last year and should have lower milegae on it (in theory) Just like any other car look for something with maintence records. Check to see if it had the dash recall and the TSB on the e-brake If the car hasn't been abused too bad its a pretty nice ride.
Posted By: irda Re: looking at SVTs - 01/24/05 09:25 PM
you'll love the svt, and the waterpump issue is regular maintenance on any car anyway, plus it's not hard to change out on the duratec engine. people on this forum have figured out solutions to almost every problem there is on the contour, so the FAQ's and forum helps make working on the car fairly easy. good luck on your search.
Posted By: RawBurt Re: looking at SVTs - 01/24/05 09:29 PM
Originally posted by The Striped SVT:
If the car hasn't been abused too bad its a pretty nice ride.

And trust me this isnt easy to find... Well i had to search high and low for mine... And i'm in SE MI...
Posted By: mygameisplatnum Re: looking at SVTs - 01/25/05 12:49 AM
Originally posted by my csvt:
e0=early 98=1998.0 to 1998.5
e1=late 98=1998.5+

why don't you break down the months for the 98.5 as which are e0 and which are e1

Also I don't think there is very much of a diff btw. early 98.5 and late 98.5....but I could be mistaken
Posted By: N-terst8 Re: looking at SVTs - 01/25/05 12:55 AM
It is hard to find an SVT period in South Dakota... closest one I've seen for sale was like 200+ miles away from me... sucks cuz I want one to trade in for with my mystique!

Steve
Posted By: GetBooby151�© Re: looking at SVTs - 01/25/05 03:25 AM
Yea in SE mi, theres only maybe 5 at a time on autotrader.com. There pretty hard to find for sale, so jump on a good offer....no joke.
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: looking at SVTs - 01/25/05 03:45 AM
Originally posted by mygameisplatnum:
Also I don't think there is very much of a diff btw. early 98.5 and late 98.5....but I could be mistaken

You mean the change from E0 to E1

That's the reason why they list a half model year.
Posted By: mygameisplatnum Re: looking at SVTs - 01/25/05 04:45 AM
Originally posted by DemonSVT:

and the changes btw 98.5 and 98.5 are?????
Posted By: TommySVT_dup1 Re: looking at SVTs - 01/25/05 04:58 AM

Wheels, 5hp (extrudahoned upper AND lower intakes), and I can't remember the rest.
Posted By: mygameisplatnum Re: looking at SVTs - 01/25/05 05:19 AM
i thought the change from 98 to 98.5 was the wheels etc....b/c i have an SVT made in feb 98 so its the 98.5 but it has the cobra R style wheels..not the 1st wheels
Posted By: Y2KGreenSE Re: looking at SVTs - 01/25/05 06:06 AM
No it there is not any "early 98.5", it is "early 1998", made in the spring of 1997, until August that year. In the normal fall 1997 intro, then the Contours were revised and refered to as "1998.5". Look in the FAQ section.

And no it is not unusual for early model years. Look at all the 2006 cars that will be at the Auto Shows this spring. In spring of 1997, Ford promoted their "new" 1998 Contours, including the SVT version.
Posted By: mygameisplatnum Re: looking at SVTs - 01/25/05 06:57 AM
ok so..my SVT was born Feb of 98, which makes it a 98.5 correct? And is it an E0 or E1? Also does it have the extra 5 hrsp w/ the extrude honing etc.?
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: looking at SVTs - 01/25/05 08:21 AM
Originally posted by TommySVT:

Wheels, 5hp (extrudahoned upper AND lower intakes), and I can't remember the rest.

Actually the changes were the revalved struts, E1/Cobra rims, and new rubber.

The 5HP more from better manifolds, more EHing, and etc did not come until 99.

I always tell folks to look for a 2000 because of a few big points.

REVISED MTX-75, takes to mods better, better PCM and misc parts.

The draw back to 2000's is you may get a warped dash. Small trade off IMO...
Posted By: exvw Re: looking at SVTs - 01/25/05 06:55 PM
thanks for all the suggestions/etc.

when i'm not away at school, i am in the minneapolis/st paul area, right now theres two or three for sale in the area on cars.com. i probably am not going to pick one up until march or so, so i am keeping my eyes open.

anyone care to expand on the warping dash?
Posted By: dutchie_dup1 Re: looking at SVTs - 01/25/05 09:51 PM
Go for low milage and unmodded if possible.

They are still out there. I got mine (98 E1) a few months ago from a 'mature' owner up here in Canada. No mods, approx 59k miles on it, and all the recall/maintenance records. If I can find one up here, you should be able to find one down there as only a few of them made it this side of the border.
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: looking at SVTs - 01/25/05 10:20 PM
Originally posted by exvw:

anyone care to expand on the warping dash?

It's a God-awful warping of the defrost molding. Looks like the whole top of the dash is smiling . If you had it or the start of it, you'd know. Mine had it but I made the dealer fix it before I bought the car.
Posted By: Thinkmoto Re: looking at SVTs - 01/25/05 10:30 PM

Actually the changes were the revalved struts, E1/Cobra rims, and new rubber.

The 5HP more from better manifolds, more EHing, and etc did not come until 99.

I always tell folks to look for a 2000 because of a few big points.

REVISED MTX-75, takes to mods better, better PCM and misc parts.

The draw back to 2000's is you may get a warped dash. Small trade off IMO...

don't forget the front control arms. EO 4 bolt style E1 2 bolt style. Wasn't there also a difference in the exhaust routing between EO and E1? The brullen exhaust GB people should know about this
Posted By: SonofSHO Re: looking at SVTs - 01/26/05 06:23 AM

...I always tell folks to look for a 2000 because of a few big points.

REVISED MTX-75, takes to mods better, better PCM and misc parts..........

Why does the Y2K take to mods better? Higher compression?
© CEG Archives