For street tires that are better in the rain than the sticky autocross type tires listed above (Azenis/Z212/MX), you can go to the AD07 or it's kin. Tires more like the AD07 include the Goodyear GS-D3, BF Goodrich KDW2, Toyo T1R, and Bridgestone S03 and RE050. But, the Yoko is much grippier all around than the others, and really in a class by itself. Now, however, there is another tire that's very similar: the Bridgestone RE01R. It's expensive, like the Yoko, but offers massive levels of wet and dry grip, while maintaining a level of street manners above the Azenis/Z212/MX.

New summary:

What summer tires should I get for my Contour?

Falken Ziex ZE 512 - Cheap, but very grippy in wet and dry for the money.

Falken Azenis 615 - A bit pricey, but great for autocross. Stiff sidewall, very grippy, not so good on the street.

Kumo MX - More streetable than the Azenis. Possibly the best dry grip/$ out there. $95 shipped from tirerack in 225/50R16.

Hankook Z212 - Worse treadwear but better wet grip than the MX, for the same price at DTD.

Or one of the expensive tires like the KDW2, GS-D3, AD07, RE010R, S03, T1R, etc.

ERROR: I meant Kumho SPT, not ASX, in the post above. The ASX is more like the ZE512, and seems to be a decent tire, but it's not at all in the class with the other summer-only econo-stickies.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results