Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
C
First of all:
Projection TVs that are HDTV aren't as bad on the angles as the old technology.

Second of all:
Flat screens aren't bad on glare or atleast not as bad as normal tubes.

Third:
I own JVC equipment. Their prices are lower and their quality is pretty high. Highend Pioneer isn't bad but you will PAY!!!!!! The main diff between regular ProLogic and Digital ProLogic is that the rear speakers (Left & Right) are seperate signals. If you don't understand what I mean come over and I'll demonstrate. I just have ProLogic but I want dts. I would recomend JVC without a doubt. The last two home stereos I have owned where JVCs. I still have both and never had a problem with them. I've tortured them too! The first I bought when in 8th Grade. Get the pic. I am pretty knowledgeable on a good portion of this. James the gadget guruh is as well. I personally think Bose is over rated and over priced. That is only my opinion though. I'd rather get better speakers and pay less so you could get a dts receiver. Keep in mind I used to work at the City so I have freinds there and I have experience in what gets returned most frequently and for what reasons. eek

Crazy Contour Guy
1995 Contour SE (ATX)
Alpine 7863
MTX Thunder4250D Amp.
2 pairs of PolkAudio EX 572A's
MTX 2-way X-over network
3 10' BlueThunders
4 ga. Streetwires power wire kit
Esoteric zero-noise RCA's
Streetwires power block
Xenon Super Plasma White Headlight and fog light bulbs
Blue mood interior lights
KKM airfilter
9 mm Motorsport Racing Plug wires
D
D
I agree with getting a JVC TV. They represent an excellent value in tube televisions. Their VCRs are top notch, and their DVDs are average to above average. They seem to excel at video playback but lack a little on the audio side. Their receivers are competent, nothing more.

If you could spend 500.00, I would highly recommend the Outlaw Audio 1050. It is a DD and DTS receiver with 6.1 channel playback (for a rear center channel). You have to start looking at 1000.00 Denons, Onkyos and Yamahas to get an internal amp that can match the Outlaws.

BTW, you had the basic differences of prologic and dolby digital correct, but dolby digital is not dolby digital prologic. DTS, IMO, is the better of the surround sound formats, but the difference is really negligible.

For speakers, I would highly recommend the BR-1s from www.partsexpress.com . They come it kit form and require very simple assembly, but you would need to spend 2 to 3 times their cost to get better performance.

P
OP Offline
P
so DTS (Digital ProLogic) has separate rear channels. okay okay on the JVC smile I do have a JVC DVD PLAYER smile

Paul Brady Ward
JUICE BOX SOFA KING!
Broad Band JUNKY!
F33r Th3 Mirage!
P
OP Offline
P
6.1 w00t! Didnt know they had 6.1 now

Paul Brady Ward
JUICE BOX SOFA KING!
Broad Band JUNKY!
F33r Th3 Mirage!
D
D
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Brady Ward:
so DTS (Digital ProLogic) has separate rear channels. okay okay on the JVC smile I do have a JVC DVD PLAYER smile

DTS and DD (Dolby Digital) both have discreet rear channels. Dolby pro-logic has a mono signal that is played through both of the rear channels (both channels are playing the same thing).

6.1 has been around for a while and there are actually 7.1 channel units popping up.

C
C
I got a friend of mine a dts JVC receiver for $350. Beat that price! That was only one step away from being the top line for JVC. I'm not disagreeing with you about JVC not being the best. I'm saying that if it means leaving out particular components and having the best of something or having a decent total set up I think that the JVC products would allow you to do that. Hell I bought my 200 disc changer for only 159 without any discounts(pre-working for the City. I also like buying something from a business I can actually go to. I can't stand mail order.

Crazy Contour Guy
1995 Contour SE (ATX)
Alpine 7863
MTX Thunder4250D Amp.
MTX 2-way X-over network
3 10' BlueThunders
Streetwires power block
KKM airfilter
P
OP Offline
P
where he get that at contourcrazy ?

Okay time to get back on topic here guys,
I need a big tv first smile

Paul Brady Ward
JUICE BOX SOFA KING!
Broad Band JUNKY!
F33r Th3 Mirage!
D
D
Quote:
Originally posted by contourcrazy:
I got a friend of mine a dts JVC receiver for $350. Beat that price! That was only one step away from being the top line for JVC. I'm not disagreeing with you about JVC not being the best. I'm saying that if it means leaving out particular components and having the best of something or having a decent total set up I think that the JVC products would allow you to do that. Hell I bought my 200 disc changer for only 159 without any discounts(pre-working for the City. I also like buying something from a business I can actually go to. I can't stand mail order.

You've got a point about mail order. The outlaw audio recommendation wasn't meant to be a rip on JVC receivers. But, IMO, JVC doesn't make a receiver (even their top of the line model) that can compete with the outlaw for value.

C
C
I guess it would be like Apples and Oranges than. How much money would you be willing to spend. Paul, that was when I was working at the City. Hopefully soon I'll be back if that DARN TAR ECONOMY THINGY ever rebounds!!!
TV: Hitachi 53" Ultravision would be my purchase if I didn't have to pay the old mortgage!!!!!

If you're stuck on tubes I guess either Sony or JVC.

Crazy Contour Guy
1995 Contour SE (ATX)
Alpine 7863
MTX Thunder4250D Amp.
MTX 2-way X-over network
3 10' BlueThunders
Streetwires power block
KKM airfilter
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Brady Ward:
where he get that at contourcrazy ?

Okay time to get back on topic here guys,
I need a big tv first smile

Ok back to the TV thing (at this rate we will have to start new topic for sound selection :rolleyes: ) I personaly would think that for any apartment/condo a nice 36" Tube TV that is HDTV Ready would be the way to go. That way your cost is not outrageous, and you are still getting a good quality/high feature content unit.

Exiled from the KYCEG community forever frown
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  JPS3, Lance Kinley 

Link Copied to Clipboard