Originally posted by sigma:
That may be part of it, James. But most of it is just the margins that are on those vehicles. Flexibility to produce, as well as support, so many possible production combinations is expensive. And cars cost a LOT more there and people buy new ones MUCH less often than we do in the US. So people tend to buy cars exactly like they want them and want the flexibility to have the options they want.

If everyone was willing to pay $45,000 for a Fusion, Ford would be more than happy to let all of us pick from a whole long list of power-/drivetrain combinations because they'd be pocketing a lot more per vehicle in the end.

UK car pricing is out of synch with the rest of the world because :

1. They MFG's get away with charging more

and

2. The associated governmental on-costs at the retail level are ridiculous.

Let's remove pricing difference from the equation, or alternatively figure out say the cost of a Focus here to Focus there to get a .x ratio for difference in cost.

Regardless, I am baffled by the true lack of choice that we as consumers are given in a given product. I don't want to be spoon-fed my car setup, I want a real choice. Unfortunately to do that I have to look at other brands and models, rather than just having an option.
Example: I want good MPG, I'll take a Honda. I want something practical, I'll maybe go Toyota. I want something faster, probably a Nissan.
All those choices could be configured into a brand by allowing more choice and real options other than just seat colour and cloth or leather....

1998.5 T-Red on Midnight Blue SVT Build Number 5320 of 6535