Originally posted by MapOfTaziFoShoââ??¢:
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
This "Honey" was called nothing more then glorified 40W engine oil. Plus it is made by Castrol which calls its synthetic products synthetic because of a loophole in the classification. It really does not make full synthetic products at all. (not conjecture but proven fact however that does not seem to matter who most ignorant people posting here) Also its "so-called" synthetics have a high ash content and are prone to turning acidic. (same facts)

Specialty Formulations has posted countless tests of its product (again FACT) by both themselves and had results posted by other members. (like Jim said bobistheoilguy is the bible of fluids!)

This is all fact and not some blind and baseless rantings of short sighted individuals.

If you wanted to use Terry's logic then why would you ever use anything but Mercon ATF in your transmission. It was the original spec and the Ford engineers that designed the tranny could NEVER be wrong about anything. It's not like the transmission needed to be changed over a dozen times because of glaring flaws in its engineering and design right??? Our syncros, blocker rings, differential, and such parts are all well designed and reliable right? So of course they spec'd the correct fluid. Get a clue folks. He is far from a genius and even further from infallible regardless of how badly his lap dogs keep kissing his ass. This is exactly the problem with this site. A handful of people keep proving these ignorantly set boundaries as wrong yet people can't even see the forest through the trees.

And again you call us ignorant etc...and want us to listen to YOUR opinion. Where'd you get the loophole classification information from!? Where are your credentials?! Post your degree and work experience here and maybe some of us will listen to you. Who has proven anything in this!? Have you...you are posting your opinion without links to information and are expecting us to listen. I defend TH because I know him off the boards. I know his work and I know his talents. While you have done a lot for the contour community...I don't know a damn thing about you besides the fact that you post information here. Show us a little more proof besides you ranting and maybe we'll listen...

Most Castrol Syntec sold in the US is made from Group III base stocks. The main exception is Castrol Syntec that has "made in Germany" on the back. Prior to Castrol claiming that Group III was synthetic, the industry recognized Group IV and Group V as synthetic and the Group III was a glorified dino oil base stock.

Mobil sued Castrol over the issue and lost. The courts thinking seemed to be that Group III does loosly qualify as a synthetic by some dictionary definitions.

Group III base stocks are very good base stocks. They come very close to meeting Group IV performance levels. The biggest complaint that many have is that since it comes from a cheaper process, it should have a cheaper price instead of being priced right up there with Mobil 1.

We are seeing more and more Group III used in conventional oils. Motorcraft "synthetic blend" has a healthy dose. Mobil 5000 is Group III (and it sells for less than half of what Castrol Syntec does). Mobil 7500 is Group III with a healthy dose of Group IV.

Base stocks alone don't make a great oil. The additive package makes a huge difference. Still, Castrol found a much cheaper way to make an oil "almost" as good and they didn't bother to pass on any of the cost savings.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited