Originally posted by Davo:
Originally posted by svtcarboy:
And I also would be glad to see the Patriot Act go as well... Prove it actually saved that bridge, and that it would not have been saved with the powers in existence prior to it passing.

Both Ascroft and the Patriot Act were attacks on our freedoms which are victories for the terrorists.

Proof that the bridge was saved by the Patriot Act? (I know CBS is a less than trustworthy "news" source, but I approve of this article): CBS story

Unfortunately this particular article does not constitute proof of the value of the Patriot Act in apprehending Faris, as it doesn't discuss at all any of the elements of the investigation that led up to his arrest.

It does, however ,seem to indicate that before he was arrested, Faris had effectively nixed the idea of attacking the bridge because it was not likely to succeed.

Did the Patriot Act factor into Faris' apprehension - no way of telling from that article.

But even assuming it did factor in the arrest ... did it "save the bridge?" It doesn't appear the bridge was in danger because they decided not to attack it before he was arrested.

The article doesn't explain how much time elapsed between the decision to not attack the bridge and Faris' arrest. Had they chosen to attack the bridge, they might have had time to do it before Faris was arrested.