Originally posted by svtcarboy:
And I also would be glad to see the Patriot Act go as well... Prove it actually saved that bridge, and that it would not have been saved with the powers in existence prior to it passing.

Both Ascroft and the Patriot Act were attacks on our freedoms which are victories for the terrorists.

James, you disappoint me. I always enjoy reading your posts because they're always from a fresh point of view, and you bring something different to discussions here, which I appreciate.

But to say Ashcroft and the Patriot Act are victories for terrorists is quite stupid. The media has made Ashcroft to be a Lucipher incarnate, and I've considered you impervious to media propaganda. I hope your above statement is just a 'fluke'.

Proof that the bridge was saved by the Patriot Act? (I know CBS is a less than trustworthy "news" source, but I approve of this article): CBS story
If you or someone else here is more qualified than the Attorney General to judge the Patriot Act's significance in this case, then you all should be in a different line of work than you are in now. I've heard and read this case described in more detail than in this article, and it is clear the Patriot Act was crucial to bringing this guy down.