Page 35 of 49 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 48 49
I
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
I
Originally posted by Davo:
Originally posted by ZetecNinja:
Originally posted by Freakshow:
What you don't have a right to do is discriminate and deny someone the right to be happy simply because you don't like their sexual preference, race, color, religion, etc.

Amen.

They need to think of ways other than membership into heterosexual institutions to be happy.

As someone who does not appear to be homosexual, how can you make that statement?

I'm pretty sure I am not going to say anything that has not been said 10x over but all these people want is to be accepted and treated equal. Why is it so hard to do that?

IonNinja 2005 Saturn ION-2 Sedan 1996 Ford Contour GL - Collecting dust...Zetec project anyone?
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Question, and to no one in particular:

What do gay couples call each other within their relationship? Certainly, it's not Husband and Wife. They don't use those terms (to my knowledge), because they would be silly to use in that type of situation. Which is which? They don't fit. And neither does the term "marriage" for a homosexual relationship.

95 Contour SE ATX V6- SOLD 2001.5 VW Passat GLX V6 Tiptronic 2004 Honda VTX 1800N1 There are no stupid questions. There are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by CHF_Slapaho:
So

You're making the claim that those who aren't Christian have no moral beliefs?

What about the KKK?

What about the Southerners who stood up for making black people sit in the back of the bus?

Don't criticize me with your red-neck adgenda. I feed the poor on Thanksgiving. I do volunteer work. My family business helps underprivileged families get their kids into preschool with government assistance. I probably do more good and show more morality than most of the Christians bother doing in a lifetime.

Funny, but one of the groups targeted by the KKK was Catholics (Christians), no?

95 Contour SE ATX V6- SOLD 2001.5 VW Passat GLX V6 Tiptronic 2004 Honda VTX 1800N1 There are no stupid questions. There are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
I'm not really getting your point with the whole club thing. Marriage isn't a fitness club so I don't really see how your analogy equates Davo.

This point was to show that my reaction to liking something where I don't belong isn't to make it so that I belong there, rather to find something else to like.

Not really sure either what AA has to do with this particular thread but I've been against AA for some time now. Maybe you think that because I oppose banning gay marriages I'm some sort of liberal and agree with all other liberal policies. Not sure if that's where the AA thing came or not but I've never said I was for AA.

Just seeing if you were going to selectively apply your anti-discrimination beliefs.

S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by Corbett:
So

You're making the claim that those who aren't Christian have no moral beliefs?

What about the KKK?

What about the Southerners who stood up for making black people sit in the back of the bus?

Don't criticize me with your red-neck adgenda. I feed the poor on Thanksgiving. I do volunteer work. My family business helps underprivileged families get their kids into preschool with government assistance. I probably do more good and show more morality than most of the Christians bother doing in a lifetime.

No, I am saying they have no base for their moral beliefs. Where else would you get them from?

And I am not suggesting that the KKK or any racist group is justified. In fact, I am stongly against them.

Red-neck agenda? How can that be? I'm from Detroit. That's great you do all the great things but its sad there are no Christians in your life that are a good example for you. Hopefully one day that will change.

You have NO IDEA WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT.

My ancestors were the FIRST Mexican Methodist Missionaries EVER. My family is deeply rooted in the Methodist and Catholic religions. We also know the meaning of SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE which apparently Evangelical Christians have forgotten about completely.

And what does being Christian automatically qualify you to be a good person?!??! Charles Manson was Christian! Hitler was Christian! Intelligence was wasted on you.

I think you need to rethink your definition of Christian. Even Satan believes in Jesus, but I wouldn't exactly call him a Christian.

S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by neelnug:
Originally posted by contourGL1996:
Originally posted by Fat Mike:
[begin rant]

I saw two of my gay friends break down in tears last night when they found out measure 36 passed, adding discrimination to our state's constitution. Not a single freaking state rejected these measures. I'm sure God is pleased that all his loving followers have worked so hard to keep our families, children and marriages safe from those dirty queers...

I swear, everytime I see some SUV with a Jesus fish on one side and a "one man, one woman" sticker on the other, I get so damn disgusted. Some middle-aged seacow who has never met a homosexual person in her life thinks it's their Christian duty to prevent "those sick gay people" from trying to have any sort of freedoms or rights. Meanwhile they continue to instruct all their followers about how treating gay people like actual human beings is a sin. It's probably only because gay people can't produce more soldiers for God's army. And only straight marriages can be pure and holy - even while daddy is banging the secretary, mommy is popping valuum and your daughter keeps getting felt up by the youth leader. But at least queers can't marry now because everyone knows they're the ones with the real problems.

Will people ever f*cking realize that they shouldn't try to decide what people can do in their personal lives, and that they shouldn't worry about it because it doesn't effect them?

[end rant]

Sorry, had to vent.

I agree 100%

Well put. This is the saddest thread I have ever read at CEG. It truely shows the close mindedness and stupidity of the U.S. right now. It just blows me away. I guess growing up in close proximity to large cities has opened my mind to reality. I will not allow a book to dictate my beliefs or a guy in a robe to tell me whats best for my family. As I will not let either of these control my government.

My question is... is marriage a legal term or religious term?

Why is it that those who attempt to take a moral stance based on religious teachings are automatically characterized as not being capable of thinking for themselves? It's not possible that we considered the alternatives and came to a rational conclusion on our own. You base this on what, the end result that our opinions differ from yours?

F
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
F
C'mon Davo that club comparison is a very weak arguement at best and well beneath what you are capable of. I'd expect more than a paper thin apples to oranges comparison like that from someone who normally prides themself on being an intelligent debater.

And on the AA thing; even if your "trap" had worked and you called me a hypocrite for selectively applying my beliefs it would still not change this particular issue.

Formerly known as Sneaku I MISS MY BABY!!! '00 Blk CSVT #1087/2150 built 12/23/99
F
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
F
Originally posted by Sandman333:
Originally posted by neelnug:
Originally posted by contourGL1996:
Originally posted by Fat Mike:
[begin rant]

I saw two of my gay friends break down in tears last night when they found out measure 36 passed, adding discrimination to our state's constitution. Not a single freaking state rejected these measures. I'm sure God is pleased that all his loving followers have worked so hard to keep our families, children and marriages safe from those dirty queers...

I swear, everytime I see some SUV with a Jesus fish on one side and a "one man, one woman" sticker on the other, I get so damn disgusted. Some middle-aged seacow who has never met a homosexual person in her life thinks it's their Christian duty to prevent "those sick gay people" from trying to have any sort of freedoms or rights. Meanwhile they continue to instruct all their followers about how treating gay people like actual human beings is a sin. It's probably only because gay people can't produce more soldiers for God's army. And only straight marriages can be pure and holy - even while daddy is banging the secretary, mommy is popping valuum and your daughter keeps getting felt up by the youth leader. But at least queers can't marry now because everyone knows they're the ones with the real problems.

Will people ever f*cking realize that they shouldn't try to decide what people can do in their personal lives, and that they shouldn't worry about it because it doesn't effect them?

[end rant]

Sorry, had to vent.

I agree 100%

Well put. This is the saddest thread I have ever read at CEG. It truely shows the close mindedness and stupidity of the U.S. right now. It just blows me away. I guess growing up in close proximity to large cities has opened my mind to reality. I will not allow a book to dictate my beliefs or a guy in a robe to tell me whats best for my family. As I will not let either of these control my government.

My question is... is marriage a legal term or religious term?

Why is it that those who attempt to take a moral stance based on religious teachings are automatically characterized as not being capable of thinking for themselves? It's not possible that we considered the alternatives and came to a rational conclusion on our own. You base this on what, the end result that our opinions differ from yours?

I think some of it stems from the fact that MANY religious people do in fact attempt to force their beliefs and the bible's morals on others because in their eyes it is righteous to do "god's" work. The problem is these are usually the biggest hypocrites concerning religion because they totally disregard jesus' teachings of tolerance and forgiveness. Many religious people are close minded to anything that exists outside the realm of what their bible tells them. Obviously this is not all religious people but there are many extremists out there that give organized religion a bad name IMO.

Now I know you're going to fire back about homosexuals forcing their views on you so before you waste your time: No homosexual is asking you to TRY or BECOME homosexual. They are simply asking for equal rights under the law so that "they're forcing their lifestyle on me" arguement really doesn't work. Trust me, I was once on your side of this issue until I really objectively researched and thoght about the issue and I was forced to change my stance...and please spare me the Kerry flip flop jokes.

Formerly known as Sneaku I MISS MY BABY!!! '00 Blk CSVT #1087/2150 built 12/23/99
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Quote:

Sandmann, I know your military background has probably allowed you to do some traveling. Having said that, I must question your comments about the American family structure. Were you referring to the family while the country was being structured, or what it is now? From my experience, I do not see the US as having a very family based society, in fact, I have seen quite the opposite. Statistics I have seen seem to show that gay marriages tend to last longer than straight marriages. I know we are not looking at a statistically significant number compared to straight marriages, but what I have seen makes me believe that gay couples can actually be more dedicated to one another and their family than straight couples. Who knows, maybe gay people are more dedicated because of the social unacceptance. Or maybe they know something us straight people have forgotten about what makes a successful relationship.

Mostly referring to what this country was, and the ideals it was founded upon. I would like to see us get back to that, a society based on morals and values. No matter what your religion or lack thereof, I believe that everyone knows the difference between right and wrong.

Example: When given psychiatric evaluations, one question often asked by patients of their doctors after admitting homosexual tendencies is whether or not there was some type of abuse or sexual trauma at a young age. This suggests a deviation from the norm.

Further example: Take the agnostic pragmatic approach. For the continuation of the species (talking procreation here), it is not logical that we were designed by nature to engage in homosexual activity.

This nation was founded on Christian morals and ideals. There is no getting around that. However, those same founders absolutly recognized the value of seperation of Church and State. There is beauty and grace in our current system. So, we can impart those values and ideals in a secular way. The traditional definition of marriage, whether religious or otherwise, has been between one man and one woman. The majority of those 11 states feel that we should not give special preferential consideration to a minority group by redefining marriage and thus compromising our values and ideals as a society. It has nothing to do with how gay marriage would effect individual relationships. That is an empty argument posed by pro-gay activists in an attempt to deflect from the true focus of the issue. The focus is what society defines as acceptable moral behavior. Society has spoken in 11 states, and their voice seems pretty loud and clear.

S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Rkneeshaw... Marriage has been defined LONG BEFORE Christ ever existed. Romans practiced marriage as did the Greeks. And Jesus was a Jew and his family was also married. This is not a Christian-original idea, therefore the Christian community cannot take ownership of the institution.

If your church does not want to marry gays, that's well within the bounds of your church to decide, but your church doesn't run the country or my life and I will not abide by its rules.

DESIGN if you have such a problem with gays on TV, change the channel. I have a problem with Brittney Spears showing her ass all day long on TV, so I change the channel. You have a choice. It is immoral to remove someone elses right to choose no matter where they're from.

I don't remember the Bible beginning only with the New Testament. Try reading Genesis for early teachings on marriage.

Page 35 of 49 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 48 49

Link Copied to Clipboard