Print Thread
Page 34 of 49 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 48 49
S
SAV Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by Freakshow:
And that's exactly what the problem is: discrimination.

The bottom line is that this will never end. Discrimination is always going to be around as long as there are two people walking the earth.

I've far beyond reached the end of seeing any more logic in this thread.

Troll. 1997 VW Jetta MkIII GLS 5spd All hail my appearance on CEG!
F
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
F
I've worked with some people that I suspected are gay and some that SEEM like the stereotypical homosexual but yes they are not allowed to be open about it. In fact, one guy I knew when I was stationed in NM was kicked out because he told the commander he was gay. We kinda think he WANTED to get out and that was the easy way but I don't think he was lying about being gay.

Personally, I think it's a trash policy...fluff designed in an attempt to make it SEEM like the military was trying to accept homosexuality but in reality they don't. The biggest issue to me would be working out housing problems if gays were openly allowed in the military but it could be done.

I think the major force driving the current lack of acceptance in the military is leaders fearing the disruption it would cause because of hateful, ignorant, gay basher types. Unfortunately there would be MANY problems with that but I believe that one day people will realize that we're all just people...period.

Don't get me wrong, I would probably (in some instances) feel a bit uncomfortable about it myself. I'm no bigot or homophobe but I'm also not gonna sit here and play like I'm a saint. But, overall I don't see what the problem is. There was a time certain races were not allowed in the military and eventually made major contributions to it once they were given a chance...I don't think homosexuals would be any different if given an opportunity.

Formerly known as Sneaku I MISS MY BABY!!! '00 Blk CSVT #1087/2150 built 12/23/99
N
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
N
Everyone also thought intergrating race was a bad idea also... look what happened... some of my really good friends are african-american.

Steven. L. Benthal Jr. 98 Mystique: Meshed Grille & Pioneer Sound System
F
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
F
Yeah that's what I was saying more or less.

Formerly known as Sneaku I MISS MY BABY!!! '00 Blk CSVT #1087/2150 built 12/23/99
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by Sandman333:

What are gays missing out on by simply not giving the legal term "marriage" to their relationship?

ummm...EQUALITY?

So the definition of equality in this case is having the same things as heterosexuals? As I show here, this is a problem:
Originally posted by Davo:
I don't understand why the homosexual community puts so much emphasis on beoming heterosexuals. This is analagous to the feminists basing the success of their movement on how much more like men they can become. If homosexuals put as much energy into building the prestige and significance of their relationships as they put into trying to become part of a historically and socially heterosexual institution, they would advance much further towards 'equality'.

The gay community needs to re-focus its efforts and it will begin to gain more respect from the 70% or so people in this country who feel like the homosexual lifestyle is being rammed down their throats.

F
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
F
I don't think that homosexuals are trying to become hetrosexuals. From a sociological perspective, what they are attempting to do is assimilate into the rest of society as a whole. This is and has been a natural occurence for various subcultures throughout the history of "modern" society to attempt to mesh into their society while still holding some of their own cultural values. We may not agree with their culture as many did and still do not agree with various other subcultures in the U.S. which is where the conflict arises.

If homosexuals were really trying to be hetrosexual they would be out marrying people of the opposite sex. I don understand where you are coming from about the feeling that homosexuality is being forced down your throat (bad analogy I think lol) via the media but if you don't like homosexual sitcoms or shows you have every right to change the channel. If you don't like homosexuals being married you have every right to express your opinion. If you don't like homosexuals at all you have every right not to. What you don't have a right to do is discriminate and deny someone the right to be happy simply because you don't like their sexual preference, race, color, religion, etc.

I
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
I
What you don't have a right to do is discriminate and deny someone the right to be happy simply because you don't like their sexual preference, race, color, religion, etc.

Amen.

IonNinja 2005 Saturn ION-2 Sedan 1996 Ford Contour GL - Collecting dust...Zetec project anyone?
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by Derk2000:
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
To me, by definition, gays can't be married.

I'm not trying to pick on you, I'm just trying to convey a point here. (Forget the polygamy stuff. I don't know and/or care enough about it right now).

Definition - A statement of the meaning of a word, phrase, or term...(dictionary.com)

So, if the meaning of marriage to me differs from the meaning of marriage to someone else, who's to say what's right?
If the meaning of the term "marriage" differs between me and another person, is the meaning it has to me wrong?

When I get married, I don't think the meaning of my marriage will be altered whether or not gays can marry.

It depends on what the definition of "is" is.

95 Contour SE ATX V6- SOLD 2001.5 VW Passat GLX V6 Tiptronic 2004 Honda VTX 1800N1 There are no stupid questions. There are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by ZetecNinja:
What you don't have a right to do is discriminate and deny someone the right to be happy simply because you don't like their sexual preference, race, color, religion, etc.

Amen.

I say Amen too, because you proved my point. The problem is that homosexuals consider 'marriage' as the only route to happiness. They need to think of ways other than membership into heterosexual institutions to be happy. I like the fact that Curves doesn't have any mirrors at any of its facilities. Should I try to get into Curves, or try to think of something else to be happy about at the club I go to now?

If you're so anti-discrimination, then maybe you'll join me in opposition to Affirmative Action.

F
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
F
I'm not really getting your point with the whole club thing. Marriage isn't a fitness club so I don't really see how your analogy equates Davo.

Not really sure either what AA has to do with this particular thread but I've been against AA for some time now. Maybe you think that because I oppose banning gay marriages I'm some sort of liberal and agree with all other liberal policies. Not sure if that's where the AA thing came or not but I've never said I was for AA.

Page 34 of 49 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 48 49

Link Copied to Clipboard