Originally posted by GreenNuggs:
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
And marriage is not so you can have a baby last time I checked. Now, under the Christian religion, to have a baby you should be married, it is not, to be married you should have a baby.

Yes, but I believe that Catholics think that procreation is one of the responsibilities under marriage, no? It may not be a defined requirement, but I think its implied. Uh, what the hell do I know, I was turned off by Christianity years ago.

Let me say one thing on the issue. Many here may not feel that denying gay marriage is a hateful thing. They may not even feel like they hate gays. But many who DID vote that way do. The following is an email sent to notable "log cabin republican" Andrew Sullivan:

"I wonder if you noticed that yesterday all eleven states that considered the question of gay marriage voted to ban it. ALL ELEVEN. I think this sends a very clear message -- true Americans do not like your kind of homosexual deviants in our country, and we will not tolerate your radical pro-gay agenda trying to force our children to adopt your homosexual lifestyle. You should be EXTREMELY GRATEFUL that we even let you write a very public and influential blog, instead of suppressing your treasonous views (as I would prefer). But I'm sure someone like yourself would consider me just an "extremist" that you don't need to worry about. Well you are wrong -- I'm not just an extremist, I am a real American, and you should be worried because eleven states yesterday proved that there are millions more just like me who will not let you impose your radical agenda on our country."

If that is how people feel, this country is in trouble. Fact is, this was the movtivating factor in what drove so many people to the polls, even in Ohio. And I think text like the above email ought to cause Republicans to reflect on their base.

You could substitute "gay" and "homosexual" for "black" in that statement and it would sound like it came out of the 50's & 60's. Hate is hate anyway you look at it.