Originally posted by rkneeshaw3.0:

Nobody has said they can't have some sort of union or whatever, they just can't call it marraige.

So, if we change it to simply a civil union with all of benefits, detriments and priviledges of the current definition of marriage, you would be ok with it?

Ryan, let me ask you some questions. I don't know if you are/were married but for example sake, lets say you are.

1.) Would changing the legal terminology of your marriage to civil union offend you?

2.) Would you cease to use the term "married" when describing your relationship?

3.) Would there be any effect on anyone if some did a ctrl-F in all govt files for the word marriage and replaced with civil union?

4.) What are the ramifications for the straight people if they get their word taken away or expanded?

5.) Will allowing Serge and Antonio describing themselves as "married" in any way shape or form reduce the meaning of you marriage to your wife? Will it make it easier for you to divorce her in your mind? Does it affect the love you feel for her and the sanctity of the act of marriage?

YOu don't have to answer these, but just think about them for a bit. If anyone can answer yes to any single portion of number 5, I have a lot of sympathy for them. They obviously are in a relationship that is already doomed to failure. We need to look at the root cause of the problems, not find excuses of why the family structure in America is swirling straight down the crapper.

Kremit,

Stepping back from this and thinking about it for a bit, do you REALLY believe in the slippery slope argument? When reading it, I have a hard time distinguishing it from somethign The Onion would right. I am pretty well conservative, afterall, I am a repentent hate mongering catholic but I just don't understand the mindset of bickering over a word.

"If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit" -Mitch Hedberg