One of the main problems is that extremists on BOTH sides of the argument have been allowed to put themselves in the position as "spokespersons" of one side or the other.

I am a Christian (well, I try to be one...), though I refuse to interpret passages in Romans, Genesis, and Corinthians as utter and irrefutable condemnations of homosexuals. I won't delve into the reasons why I believe thist, as it is another "War and Peace" post, but suffice to say that I don't see homosexuality as a one-way ticket to Hell, as so many fundamentalist of varying religious sects believe.

Slavery was practiced in Biblical times, Christian Kings kept harems, etc. Today these ancient establishments are considered morally reprehensible where they were morally acceptable during Biblical times. Are religious texts being two-faced about this?

Or were these cultural establishments that were formed outside of religious thought?

To extrapolate further, I have NO issue with homosexual unions and would greatly desire to have them see the light of day, with the same benefits and penalties that heterosexual marriage gives.

AT THE SAME TIME, I do take issue with a religious instition quite possibly forced to recognize marriages as something other than it has commonly held and for THOUSANDS of years and serves as a foundational institution and belief for them.

Federal law dictating what religions should and should not recognize (within reason) is JUST as wrong as religious institutions trying to force their beliefs on others through Federal law. Am I mandating that no chuches should have the option to not hold gay marriages? No.

This has nothing to do with Christian views, this has to do with VARIOUS religious commonly holding the that hold marriage as "one woman, one man".

Simply put, I despise the way both sides have approached this issue, as it has been rife will "all or nothing" verbage, tactics and ideology which is REALLY shortchanging any chance at getting a fair and equally agreeable solution created.

Religious fundamentalists piss me off on this just as much as extreme gay activists that would use Federal law to rabidly attack the church and it's beliefs. Again, from my view it's been the extremists on both sides that have ended up being the "spokespersons" and all they have helped do is further fan the flames instead of bridging a serious difference.

Any way you cut it, the civil rights of gays are being violated. IMHO, this is not in question. At the same time, violating the civil rights of the religious in turn isn't a solution, either.

There has to be a better solution than the one's that are being put in play today, but again, I'll be damned if I can coherently flush one out. It's a quagmire, no doubt about it.

JaTo e-Tough Guy Missouri City, TX 99 Contour SVT #143/2760 00 Corvette Coupe