Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 24 of 49 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 48 49
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by rkneeshaw3.0:
I think thats bullcrap. Gays didn't have anything taken away from them. They were prevented from making a legal arrangement between a man and woman something different than what it is.

Sure they've had something taken away from them- the opportunity to have what the rest of us take for granted.

Kremit, the point you're missing is this- if you vote for a ban against gay marriage, you ARE spitting on gays because you have forced this country to strictly prohibit them from something. Why don't you realize that?

1998 SVT Contour Silver Frost for sale in Classifieds.
I
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I
If the word "marriage" is so superficial, why are gay people fighting so hard for it? Many companies offer health insurance and benefits for "partners" and more are doing so every year. Do they just want to be included in the club that's been reserved for a man and woman since time began?

C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by infuryum:
If the word "marriage" is so superficial, why are gay people fighting so hard for it? Many companies offer health insurance and benefits for "partners" and more are doing so every year. Do they just want to be included in the club that's been reserved for a man and woman since time began?

I think it's like how an earlier poster put it...

Doesn't matter if your gay or straight, you still pay the same taxes. Yet if you're gay, you are less of a citizen than the straight ones. You still get to die in a war you don't want to be in, but you can't get married... b/c we just can't handle that.

I propose we all go gay and ask for a tax break.

E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
Originally posted by bishop375:
you ARE spitting on gays because you have forced this country to strictly prohibit them from something. Why don't you realize that?

Quote:

On the order of 1,400 legal rights are conferred upon married couples in the U.S. Typically these are composed of about 400 state benefits and over 1,000 federal benefits. Among them are the rights to:
�· joint parenting;
�· joint adoption;
�· joint foster care, custody, and visitation (including non-biological parents);
�· status as next-of-kin for hospital visits and medical decisions where one partner is too ill to be competent;
�· joint insurance policies for home, auto and health;
�· dissolution and divorce protections such as community property and child support;
�· immigration and residency for partners from other countries;
�· inheritance automatically in the absence of a will;
�· joint leases with automatic renewal rights in the event one partner dies or leaves the house or apartment;
�· inheritance of jointly-owned real and personal property through the right of survivorship (which avoids the time and expense and taxes in probate);
�· benefits such as annuities, pension plans, Social Security, and Medicare;
�· spousal exemptions to property tax increases upon the death of one partner who is a co-owner of the home;
�· veterans' discounts on medical care, education, and home loans; joint filing of tax returns;
�· joint filing of customs claims when traveling;
�· wrongful death benefits for a surviving partner and children;
�· bereavement or sick leave to care for a partner or child;
�· decision-making power with respect to whether a deceased partner will be cremated or not and where to bury him or her;
�· crime victims' recovery benefits;
�· loss of consortium tort benefits;
�· domestic violence protection orders;
�· judicial protections and evidentiary immunity;

Obviously there are considerably more. So what rights arent being taken away again?

· Jon Miconi · Coming Soon! · 01 Cougar · 98 V70R
C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Oh Ex... please don't bring up the issue of gays with kids & child support... not today. Next election maybe.

R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by CHF_Slapaho:
Well I've never had a movement shoved in my face harder than the evangelical preachers on at least 3 channels in my city blasting away with their interpretations of the bible and asking for money so they can pay for their BMW's and make weakminded people think they've paid their way into salvation. And they don't even make the effort to try to appeal to other denominations that don't understand them. I've had them come down to FIU and tell students that Princess Diana is burning in hell with Ghandi b/c they were not Christians. I find them sick

me too. Those dudes aren't cool at all.

And what if your kid turns out gay? Or lesbian? Would you appreciate your neighbors discriminating against him/her too? Would you appreciate a mass gathering of people united to make sure that your gay child could not be considered equal amongst Americans?

Please don't misunderstand my opinion as thinking they should be treated unfairly. If my child was supposedly born gay, then I would expect them to live a life that is equal with everyone esle, but they would never be "married" because marraige is between a man and a woman. Maybe a union, maybe something else. But its not marriage.

E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
Originally posted by infuryum:

Its the want for the same rights that 94 percent (thanks for the correction Kremi ) of the population takes for granted.

With the way some of these new amendments are written, a company could easily not extend its domestic partnership rights to people within a certain state because the state wouldnt recognize the relationship. Saves the company quite a few bucks.

E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
Oh Ex... please don't bring up the issue of gays with kids & child support... not today. Next election maybe.

I just copied and pasted to give an idea on some of the forbidden rights.

I
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I
Originally posted by ExDelayed:
With the way some of these new amendments are written, a company could easily not extend its domestic partnership rights to people within a certain state because the state wouldnt recognize the relationship. Saves the company quite a few bucks.

So now we're concerned that rights MIGHT be taken away?

C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
I know I'm just messing with ya.

Page 24 of 49 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 48 49

Link Copied to Clipboard