Print Thread
Page 8 of 49 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 48 49
R
R_G Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by Fat Mike:
I challenge anyone who thinks gay marriage is wrong, to actually go out and become friends with a gay person. They're some of the coolest and most sincere people I know.

Ohhhhhh, pweeeeeeeeeaze, they are the same as all other ppl - cool and uncool, pleasant and unpleasant, greedy and generous, nasty and good-hearted. They are the most sincere people? Generally speaking - lemme ask you, how on Earth can you jump to conclusions based on your personal friendship with several Oregon homosexuals? Maybe you lucked in by having met only "coolest and most sincere" ones? Besides, Mike, u r like churning out/operating in absolute terms - the ppl u personally consider as the most sincere might seem exactly opposite to somebody else.

I guess that by labeling homosexuals in the way u did - u r not stepping far away from narrow-minded anti-homosexuals bumper stickers carrying old ladies.

Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I love how people that are for gay marriage love to preach respect for people's opinions, and accepting people for who they are....

But when someone has an opinion different from them, no matter if its based on faith, morals, whatever, those people are wrong and they are bigots and haters for having that opionion.

The true hypocrites are those that can't accept the fact that some (and by the votes, a majority) people think that marriage should be between a man and a woman.

"Moore has also accused the American people of being the stupidest, most naive people on the face of the Earth. And after last weekend, he's got the box office numbers to prove it!"
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
James, I'm right behind you there.

Well, maybe not THAT close. ;-)

But, I agree that it should be for EVERY couple of non-related, consenting age adults or for NONE of them.

By supporting a ban against gay marriage, you're condoning sexism in the worst way, and trying to actually make it legal to discriminate against a minority.

1998 SVT Contour Silver Frost for sale in Classifieds.
R
R_G Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by 99blacksesport:
I love how people that are for gay marriage love to preach respect for people's opinions, and accepting people for who they are....

But when someone has an opinion different from them, no matter if its based on faith, morals, whatever, those people are wrong and they are bigots and haters for having that opionion.

The true hypocrites are those that can't accept the fact that some (and by the votes, a majority) people think that marriage should be between a man and a woman.

Not sure whether it was addressed to me. Anywayz, first I never said that I was pro gay marriages. The term "old ladies" I used - or generally ppl imposing their views based on their morals or faith - I never said they were wrong - I again do not operate with such terms - they are just ppl I personally can't stand - exactly like I can't stand the militant homosexuals imposing their values upon me.

Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
No, it wasn't, just a case of you being the last post for me to reply to!

"Moore has also accused the American people of being the stupidest, most naive people on the face of the Earth. And after last weekend, he's got the box office numbers to prove it!"
R
R_G Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
That's what I figured. LOL

C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C

The overall point IMO is that the definition of marriage is based on opinion instead of any fact that concludes that a gay marriage is somehow degredational to this country's well being in some way. And although yes there are many who say that a marriage is between a man and a woman, they have no right to infringe on the rights of another person who thinks differently based on sexual preference. That is unconstitutional.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B

Thinking a marriage should be between a man and a woman is an opinion. Trying to pass a Constitutional Amendment BANNING it is another.

1998 SVT Contour Silver Frost for sale in Classifieds.
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M

I'm pretty sure no one here has claimed that those who believe as you do about heterosexual marriage are bigots and haters because of it.

But there could be a consititutional case made to that affect, if you try to deny gays their civil rights, on the basis of their sexual orientation.

And I also believe that one could successfully argue that a civil right is not a matter to be decided by popular vote.

If it was, the majority could potentially be dictating with impunity how virtually every minority should live; and those minorities would be without recourse.

It is in the very nature of civil rights that they should not be determined by the vagaries of the vote. How many amendments in the bill of rights were enacted for exaclty this reason. Most of them were relatively unpopular in their time, and it was difficult; but ultimately they have all proven to be the right thing to do.

I believe that gay marriage is being viewed today in much the same way that interracial marriages once were; and that the road to acceptance will be similarily difficult and just as inevitable.

Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Marriage is not a civil right; it is a right givin by laws, which were enacted by the people of this country. And I am leaving religous marriage out of that.

What are laws, if they aren't the people of this country's moral values and belief systems set on paper, and enforced by the courts?

If an overwhelming majority of people in this country feel that it is wrong to allow them to marry, why should they be allowed to impose their will on us? I am against gay marriage, civil unions, or whatver. Call me what you want, and I know I will get a $hit storm for this as I have in the past on here, but I think being gay is wrong based on moral and religious reasons, so sorry if I offend any of the live and let live, fell good'ers on here. Traditional values have been under constant attack in this country and I am glad that for once it was defended.

Page 8 of 49 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 48 49

Link Copied to Clipboard