Originally posted by svtcarboy:
While I was disappointed with the voters in those 11 states for adding hate and discrimination into thier Constitutions, reading this thread has left me bewildered.

I truly do not understand why people oppose gay marriage. Allowing homosexuals to make the commitment that too many heterosexuals take for granted does not have any effect on heterosexuals. Your marriage is suddenly not any less than it was, it is not preventing you from doing anything or affecting you in any way. It only allows gay and lesbian people equal access to a social institution.

Calling a homosexual couple a "civil union" while calling a heterosexual couple a "marriage" is the same as sending black children and white children to two different schools. Even if they are identical, they are not equal. This premise was ruled on by the Supreme Court in Brown v. Board, and applies to all governmental institutions, including marriage.

The slippery slope of polygamous marriage (totally different type of commitment) or of close relatives (potential for biological harm) are unrelated to removing gender discrimination in giving lifelong commitments equal billing.

I will only consider the term "civil union" acceptable and equal if all heterosexual commitments of the same type are given the same name.

I am not asking anyone to approve of gays or of gay marriage. You can hate it as much as you want, call me names on the street, whatever. I am not hurting you in any way or affecting you in any way by getting married. However, you are harming me when you put additional roadblocks between me and my right to marry the person I want to spend the rest of my life with.

Good post. I challenge anyone who thinks gay marriage is wrong, to actually go out and become friends with a gay person. They're some of the coolest and most sincere people I know. I don't hang out with them and look at them as gay people, I see them as my friends. And plus gay guys always hang out with some really hot chicks.

1999 Black SVT "If I were an admin I'd ban you without a second thought. " ~Trapps