Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 49 1 2 3 4 5 6 48 49
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by svt4stv:
speaking of "we", what is Canada's take on the subject?
i know in Mexico, gay people are treated like sick freaks

Discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation is not allowed under the Canadian Charter of Rights (which BTW was written not too long ago, so has the benefit of 20th century understanding of things) and so on that basis, gay marriages have been upheld to be legal in the courts. A number of provinces had challenged them.

Now, municipalities in a number of provinces (mine included) are not allowed to deny anyone a marriage license on the basis of sexual orientation.

There is a very strong lobby against gay marriage, spearheaded by a wide range of religious groups - although the lobby is strong, the overall population is generally ambivalent.

It seems inevitable here that gay marriage will withstand any court challenge, and we will be forced to the next step which IMO will be to decide if the term "marriage" should be applied only to the religious sacrament.

S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
A gay marriage does not fit the traditional definition of a family, on which this country is based. Sorry for the confusion.

95 Contour SE ATX V6- SOLD 2001.5 VW Passat GLX V6 Tiptronic 2004 Honda VTX 1800N1 There are no stupid questions. There are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.
J
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
J
I think a change of language and a better conceptual definition of what "marriage" and "civil unions" really are would help both sides come to a solution, but I'll be damned if I can come up with something solid.

This is one that seems to piss one side or the other off, no matter how you cut it.

IMHO, regardless of sexual orientation, equal rights, benefits and penalties should be given gays or straits through some sort of ceremony that publicy declares their dedication to one another when so desired. I think these "unions", should be available to heterosexuals and homosexuals.

"Marriage", the commonly-known and MILLENIA-old popular religious institution between ONE man and ONE woman should be protected as an article of religion that does carry some form of Federal or State recognition (notice that I don't specify any PARTICULAR religion, just religion in general).

As some on here have said in the past, changing language in this case smacks of segregation to a degree and seperate isn't always "equal"...

...but I'm flat-out of ideas on an issue that both sides have a massive amount of legal and religious standing on.

JaTo e-Tough Guy Missouri City, TX 99 Contour SVT #143/2760 00 Corvette Coupe
R
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
R

Common law marriage is illegal in the state of NM. Technically, an unmarried man and woman cannot live together for more than six months. The law dates back to the 1880's to keep US Soldiers from shacking up with Mexican prostitutes, thereby "neglecting" their duties as soldiers.

Yeah, and I bet they really enforce that one too. You know that in Michigan until 5 or so years ago you could be inprisioned if you swore infront of a woman or a child.

Anyway, common law marriages are legal in a lot of places. Most states have a provision that says something like this (pharaphrased of course): if a man and woman reside in the same residence for a period of 7 (or whatever) years, and have a relationship that approximates a marriage, then they are afforded the same rights and protections of a legally married couple.

Ohio now has no such provision, which means that people will lose their healthcare and have to file taxes seperately, more importantly they will lose the right to authorize emergency, and potentially life saving medical procedures.

S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Yeah, this is just like the flag-burning issue of a few decades ago. There really isn't a solution to please everyone.

95 Contour SE ATX V6- SOLD 2001.5 VW Passat GLX V6 Tiptronic 2004 Honda VTX 1800N1 There are no stupid questions. There are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.
N
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
N
Before I read all of this... I'm going to put my opinion in.

I am a christian... and by that I believe being homosexual or performing in homosexual acts is wrong. Again this is *MY* belief and I have the right to say this. But then again, I believe in the constitution and I feel putting a ban on this ruins a person's right to "pursue happiness". As a christian, you are supposed to stand up for your beliefs, which I am doing. But I am also saying that I would not go up to someone and say eeeww... your gay! I would keep to myself. Not only that, I believe I am standing up for my beliefs by saying it is wrong... but as a United States citizen I believe you have the right to do what you wish as long as it doesn't ruin the rights of another United States citizen. All I am saying is it is ok to state your beliefs that it is wrong, just as I do. But don't put a ban on people that wish to do the wrong, if they are religous in any way they no the consequences of being homosexual and are willing to accept them.

Steve

Steven. L. Benthal Jr. 98 Mystique: Meshed Grille & Pioneer Sound System
F
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
F
So say a gay couple gets married, what does that prove. They get a tax break? So that means a friend and his roommate can go and get hitched and get all the benefits? You don�t have to get married to prove that you really love the person.

01 Focus MTX JRSC, 2.6 pully, and so on.......
F
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
F
Originally posted by N-terst8:

I am a christian... and by that I believe being homosexual or performing in homosexual acts is wrong. Again this is *MY* belief and I have the right to say this. But then again, I believe in the constitution and I feel putting a ban on this ruins a person's right to "pursue happiness". As a christian, you are supposed to stand up for your beliefs, which I am doing. But I am also saying that I would not go up to someone and say eeeww... your gay! I would keep to myself. Not only that, I believe I am standing up for my beliefs by saying it is wrong... but as a United States citizen I believe you have the right to do what you wish as long as it doesn't ruin the rights of another United States citizen. All I am saying is it is ok to state your beliefs that it is wrong, just as I do. But don't put a ban on people that wish to do the wrong, if they are religous in any way they no the consequences of being homosexual and are willing to accept them.

Steve

See, that's all I ask from the Christian community. Go ahead and believe it's wrong. That's your decision. But don't try to change our laws to reflect your beliefs on everyone else. Thanks for understanding that Steve.

1999 Black SVT "If I were an admin I'd ban you without a second thought. " ~Trapps
C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by Sandman333:
A gay marriage does not fit the traditional definition of a family, on which this country is based. Sorry for the confusion.

You define a traditional family by the culture in which you were brought up in. Who are you to force your beliefs upon others who were not raised the same way and do not believe in what you believe in?

C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by N-terst8:

Steve

Go Steve!

Page 4 of 49 1 2 3 4 5 6 48 49

Link Copied to Clipboard