Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
First off, I just bought an I pod, and I think its pretty cool. I have the RCA connector kit for the I-pod, but i'm not sure what to do next. I have the auxilary RCA outputs, but I'm not sure on inputs. I have a Kenwood KDC 516S. I'm not sure if i need to buy another cable for my head unit or not. So If anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated.

Old Ride- 98 Black Mystique; Duratec/ATX Mystique, the luxury SVT New Ride- 05 Jeep Liberty Renegade PS This is what part of the alphabet would look like if the letters Q and R were omitted...
H
Scourge of the Master Debaters
H
If your head unit supports AUX input, you might need to buy an adapter. On my Pioneer, the AUX input is what would normally be used with a cd-changer (IP-Bus). Instead, you buy an over-inflated ($30) RCA to IP-Bus adapter which allows the mp3 player to connect.

EDIT: http://store.kenwoodusa.com/product.asp?sku=2224795

Last edited by hetfield; 06/24/04 01:20 AM.

Beer is my Gatorade. Hooray Beer. '98 "Sport" Pacific Green '98 E0 SVT Silver Frost Pictures
B
B
Is the I-pod the thing that put a signal out to your radio and makes it work like a mp3 player? I heard from my brother that theres something that puts out a singnal and you can set it to what ever radio station you want. Is this is i need one bad?!?!

2000 Contour Silver 4 door with spoiler Sounds: Alpine MRV-F357 5 Channel Amp, 4 6x9 Infinity Speakers in the doors, Pioneer Premier CD Player, and 10" Polk Audio Sub
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Here's all the info on all the options to hook your iPod up to your car's stereo. Scroll about halfway down, it starts with the direct line option, which is the best sounding. iPod Lounge

* Marine Officer Candidate * My Cardomain Page 1998 EO Black SVTC #3388
H
H
Originally posted by blackheart:
Is the I-pod the thing that put a signal out to your radio and makes it work like a mp3 player? I heard from my brother that theres something that puts out a singnal and you can set it to what ever radio station you want. Is this is i need one bad?!?!

The iPod is an mp3 player (and a damn expensive one). What your brother is talking about is the FM modulator that lets you tune your head unit to an unused radio frequency and the iPod broadcasts to that frequency. It eliminates the need for AUX adapters, but the sound quality is diminished.

Beer is my Gatorade. Hooray Beer. '98 "Sport" Pacific Green '98 E0 SVT Silver Frost Pictures
B
B
oh ok is there a cheaper mp3 player like the ipod. And how would you have to hook it up, like in the back of the head unit?

2000 Contour Silver 4 door with spoiler Sounds: Alpine MRV-F357 5 Channel Amp, 4 6x9 Infinity Speakers in the doors, Pioneer Premier CD Player, and 10" Polk Audio Sub
H
H
Yes, there are some cheaper alternatives out there. I personally own an Archos Jukebox Recorder 20. It cost me about half of what the 20GB iPod was selling for at the time, and I've been happy with the quality. Another good brand is iRiver.

B
B
Okay and how did you chose to hook it up, i just want an fast/easy way. But i also want the best sound. So the actual cable hookup would be the best right? where do you plug it in?

H
H
I used the RCA adapter for my Pioneer, as I mention above. Installation involves pulling the headunit, plugging in the adapter, and running the RCA cable to wherever your mp3 player will normally go. I think it took me all of 10-15 minutes. For my head unit, the connector is on the back near where the car antenna plugs in, but you'll have to consult the manual for your player to know where your's would be.

B
B
oh ok where did you put your mp3 player at? is there a place to mount it or no?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  dnewma04_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard