Print Thread
E
EricF Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
E
Question posed in topic..
The Headunit is too bright even with the dimmer turned down..
I turn the dimmer down far its good but dash too dark... etc..
is there a way to maybe step it down?

A resister(or additional dimmer) in the dimmer control
wire to the stereo? would that work.

How do I know what kind to get, etc?

Thanks
Eric

99 Cougar V6 Tourmaline Green: MTX, KKM, Borla Dual...
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
It's the stock headunit right?

You might try a variable rheostat, RadioShack # 271-265. It's a 25-ohm 3-watt unit.

Put it in series with the illumination + wire and the headunit. Adjust it so the headunit brightness is the way you want. If you use the Metra harnesses (into car, into OE head unit--get them at Best Buy or Circuit City) you can do this without cutting ANY wires in your car.

RadioShack also carries some .47 and 1 ohm 5 watt resistors which you could use as well. You might need multiple resistors in series to get the amount of dimming you want.

Alternatively, you could use a variable dimmmer rheostat from just about any car in place of the RadioShack # above.

E
EricF Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
E
Actually its not a factory unit, but it does support dimming..
just doesn't quite match the factory brightness around it..(ok its waay off)
Thanks for the info..

B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
I've never seen an aftermarket head unit that supports dimming. Which one is it?

S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by brianl703:
I've never seen an aftermarket head unit that supports dimming. Which one is it?

Lots of Aftermarket HU's support dimming, usually the middle to high end models.

00SEMTXMeshgrill,KKM&K&N,Fogsmodded,17"MotegiFF5's,SilverELgauges,BlueLEDinterior,Knaubered Trubendzw/magnaflowhttp://www.sl33stak.com FSVT Smart pump
E
EricF Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
E
Thanks for the info agian.

Actually its for my parents Van, I have one in my astro, its a GM direct fit JENSON and its probably as low end as you can get.. but its got a CD player.. and thats what I needed it for, my rents van has a tape and cd player.. not bad for $99 smacks... lol..
I'm fixing theirs tonight... hey and have a good night.

B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
I looked up a couple of Blaupunkt units that support dimming today, but it was on-or-off dimming, not variable-with-the-dashboard-control dimming.

The Kenwood KDC-6007 in my car is already dim, it doesn't need additional dimming. It's hard to read in the sun. I was thinking about replacing the backlight bulbs with high-brightness green LEDs but I wonder if that'd really help.

E
EricF Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
E
Hey well I bought that switch, and a knob for it... and well
it hardly made a difference... you could see a difference... but not hardly enough... oh well, I'll be attacking it again in the future.. but my parents are on their way back to Florida so I have to wait till spring..

B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Probably the radio's illumination circuit doesn't draw enough current for a 25 ohm resistance to give enough of a voltage drop to dim the display sufficiently.

If you get a chance to play with it some more, try adding a 50-ohm or a 100-ohm resistor in series with the rheostat--RadioShack #s 271-133 and 271-135 respectively. These come in 2 packs, so if one isn't enough, add another.

Moderated by  dnewma04_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard