Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
OP Offline
F
After discovering that my outboard CV Joint had sprayed grease all over my suspension, i figured it was time to replace the boot.

Got the spindle off of the shaft, and I cut the boot off only to see it full of nice clean grease mad (yeah, that was dumb to do)

Now I need to get the shaft out and I just can't get it to move. The Ford service manual says to use a "Halfshaft Removal" tool, it just looks like a big wrench with a pipe on it. Is the tool really that necessary?

I don't think I can rebuild the joint while it's on the car, and I think I've probably gotten in a little farther over my head than I expected.

Any advice? please?

-Chris

Chris Hinds
AIM:CJ111010
1998 Contour GL Duratec 5-Spd
#565/????
15.610 @ 89.62mph
And I payed for it all myself
B
B
Both shafts basically "pop" off the car. The driver side is a little harder actually because you're pulling the snap ring too. The passenger side just slides off the center shaft. I used a compthane (hard plastic) hammer on the back side of the metal housing on the axle to pop the passenger one off and a big prybar and someone pulling on the shaft to get the driver side off. Not sure if this is the recommended method, but it worked fine for me.

Rick

The first Blown 3 Liter!
"Drive it till the wheels fall off" -my personal motto!!!!
98.5 T-Red SVT #6180
Many Mods
Buckshot77@aol.com
Owner of 00 #1611 Silver
Totalled on 10/7/01
SVT Parts for Sale
I think that "Halfshaft Removal Tool" is similar to the slidehammer I talked about. Slide hammer has a big block of weight on a slide and a hook on the end where you can "pull" out instead of hammering in. I borrowed the slidehammer when I took the passenger side halfshaft out. There IS also a ring on the passenger side halfshaft, I think they're actually the same part.

According to the Haynes manual, you can knock on the back end of the halfshaft and knock it out. But when I changed mine, I couldn't figure out how to fit a hammer in there. I tried to use a screwdriver as leverage, but I bent the screwdriver before moving the shaft. After 5 hours of trying, I went and borrowed the slidehammer. With the slidehammer, the shaft came out within 30 seconds!

UBRF.org , Western New York's Premiere Automotive Forum.

Yeah, I got some bolt-ons.
Car Pics
Video of Brullen cat-back on a \'95 SE
How-to: Short Shifter for Pre-98 MTX

"heres the deal $2 grand buy in winner gets the cash and the girl and the respect. We'll race from 0 to Inf. until I win." - someone on the internet

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1, Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard