Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
OP Offline
P
With a couple of threads about oil coolers in the last few days, I'm seriously considering getting one for my car now. (Visa loves me.)

I am browsing Summit Racing's site and found at least one that I can afford to buy ($70 for an oil to air sandwich adapter kit with a thermostat).

Here's my question: Should I remove the stock SVT cooler or leave it on? If it isn't going to hurt anything (and the filter will fit properly), it might justify not going through the effort of ripping the SVT cooler out of there. (I have to look at my service CD to decide how much effort that is).

Another question: Would fitting a kit of this type require adding more oil during an oil change? Does the additional volume of the kit require adding more oil to compensate for it?

1998 Silver Frost SVT Contour born on...8/28/01[/i]
American Iron Shootout Radial Tire 2 Class Champion, Cecil County Dragway April 20, 2002
D
D
I would leave both coolers on if possible.

Yes you will need to add more oil to offset the amount that would be in the auxillary cooler.

2000 SVT #674 - Check it out!

Whoever coined the phrase; "If it ain't broke; don't fix it" ~ Just doesn't get it...
B
B
If he leaves the stock cooler on and then adds a sandwich adaptor, won't the filter stick waaay out? It might fit but I'd make sure as those sandwich adaptors are at least 1" thick. The one on my VW is 1 1/2" thick...
Also depending on how you mount the cooler it you might not be dumping the full oil capacity every oil change i.e. car holds 7qts but only 6 drop out the pan. What ever you do, make sure you fill the cooler before you start the car! I just dumped oil in the lines to fill the cooler before attaching the last line to the unit. No oil in cooler at start up = no oil in pan shortly thereafter = boom

P
OP Offline
P
Well, a little surfing has brought out the following info: We share an oil filter app with the 4.6L V8 and (maybe) the 4.0L V6 (found that on a Ranger Edge site).

Sharing parts with the mod V8 can't be a bad thing, right? Well, maybe not. Seems that puts us in the "every Ford except that one" category when it comes to engine oil coolers. When a company supports our app, it is with a different part number than their regular Ford kit. And some simply don't have a kit for it (yet). M22 x 1.5 - common to mod V8/Duratec and some Hondas. :rolleyes:

On the bright side: This means that I *should* be able to use the 2000 Cobra R factory oil to air cooler, assuming it all fits in our engine bay (big IF). Dunno if it's cheap (probably not) but I bet it sure works well. Well, as long as it has a stat included. Because I'm certainly NOT using a air/oil cooler without a thermostat. It does get cold here in the winter. I guess I could get a stat controlled bypass, but this all sounds awfully expensive.

I can "build my own" from a few companies (if they have the right adapter). But one site (Perma-Cool) rates their rads by engine hp, and includes GPM flow as a sidebar. The 250 hp kits are rated for 3-10 GPM. Whew, right on the border (on both measures, actually laugh ). I wish I could find David Z's post about the higher rating on the later 3L Duratec oil pumps.

1998 Silver Frost SVT Contour born on...8/28/01[/i]
American Iron Shootout Radial Tire 2 Class Champion, Cecil County Dragway April 20, 2002
T
T
Options:- *The stoc cooler,sandwich plate,lines & filter will not clear the front subframe in the stoc location*best option -remote oil filter mount with or without stoc cooler on it*Use a sandwich plate with an oilstat or fit an oilstat in the line to the cooler*fit an oil temp gage*The stock cooler is great to help the oil warm up in cold seasons / areas but do cause quite a pressure drope due to its plate design...

V6 MTX
'Don't p**s up my back then tell me it's raining!!!"
'Its only nuts & bolts!'
'If I build it,fix it,upgrade it or modify it...MAYBE they will come....!
Haines Motor Sports Inc,
Dealer for 'Quaife America' & 'Autotech Sport Tuning'
SOLE USA Dealer for the American Axle 'AUSSIE BAR'...
Get a Turbo for you Zetec from HMS Inc...by 'The Demon' ...www.DemonDynamics.co.uk
..don't talk about it DO IT !!!
D
D
Quote:
The stock cooler is great to help the oil warm up in cold seasons / areas but do cause quite a pressure drope due to its plate design...
Terry you have mentioned this before re:oil starvation.. So, do you suggest we dump the stock SVT/EuroMondeo oil cooler because it drops oil pressure. I would think that low oil pressure is a bigger deal than slow oil warm up?? Have you measured the drop? Does the oil to air cooler drop oil pressure too? Thanks ..

1999 Amazon Green SVT Contour (#554/2760)
Stock SVT Duratec V6 with:
Intake- K&N filter/75mm MAF meter
Exhaust- MSDS Y-pipe/Bassani catback
Durability-Ford "dual mode" damper, Mobil 1/K&N oil filter
179.2 FWHP at 6900 RPM
S
S
I recently added an oil cooler to my 97 GL.
I got a B&M Import Engine Oil Cooler.
It takes about half a quart extra oil.
A thermostat is an optional accessory.
I recomend leaving the stock one in.
Adding the sandwich adapter & thermostat didn't leave much room at all on my Zetec.
I just got a shorter filter for a similiar sized Engine.
I think the filter I ended up with was for a new Cavalier.
IMHO, benefits are notice-able.

1997 GL Sport MTX,
Soon to be the fastest proven Zetec around.
T
T
Zetec cooler Vs Duratec is not the same.On a Zetec you dont have a plate cooler to start with..! on a Duratec you wont fit it all in , the stack is too big...but hey WTF do I know...!!!! laugh

V6 MTX
'Its only nuts & bolts!'
Haines Motor Sports Inc,
Get a Turbo for you Zetec from HMS Inc...by 'The Demon' ...www.DemonDynamics.co.uk
S
S
Quote:
Originally posted by Terry Haines:
Zetec cooler Vs Duratec is not the same.On a Zetec you dont have a plate cooler to start with..! on a Duratec you wont fit it all in , the stack is too big...but hey WTF do I know...!!!! laugh
Yet another reason the Zetec is Superior! wink

1997 GL Sport MTX,
Soon to be the fastest proven Zetec around.
T
T
Not with the oil filter on the backside of the engine above the drive shaft its not!!!!! laugh

V6 MTX
'Its only nuts & bolts!'
Haines Motor Sports Inc,
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard