Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#339011 07/30/02 02:36 AM
OP Offline
I have the opportunity to get a 1997 Suzuki Bandit 600S with about 5,500mi for $2500 or so. It's going to be my first bike, and I want to start on a 600cc or higher anyway. What you think, is that a good deal?

UBRF.org , Western New York's Premiere Automotive Forum.

Yeah, I got some bolt-ons.
Car Pics
Video of Brullen cat-back on a \'95 SE
How-to: Short Shifter for Pre-98 MTX

"heres the deal $2 grand buy in winner gets the cash and the girl and the respect. We'll race from 0 to Inf. until I win." - someone on the internet
#339012 07/30/02 03:19 AM
Honestly I can't say if it is a good deal or not but some of the people CYCLEWORLD FORUMS will probably be able to offer better advice. I read these boards a lot and there are some pretty friendly people there.

Quality is remembered long after cost is forgotten.

...Oh sorry I guess I am just another stupid kid who doesn't know anything...
#339013 07/30/02 04:03 AM
C
Administrator
Administrator
C
Suzuki does make good stuff on two wheels. I had a GS650E and my uncle has a GS1000. Both awesome bikes that lasted a long time. Just don't short the stator or the ignition module.

-Chris Hightower-
-Hightower Performance Products, LLC

(Oo.«xx».oO)
o xxxxxxxxx o
#339014 07/31/02 02:16 AM
OP Offline
What should I look for on a used bike?

Car Pics

"heres the deal $2 grand buy in winner gets the cash and the girl and the respect. We'll race from 0 to Inf. until I win." - someone on the internet
#339015 07/31/02 05:06 AM
Haven't really had too much experience buying bikes but, it is much like a car...

check tires

forks and fork seals

check to see how far adjusted out the chain is, if it is close to all the way (can't be moved out anymore) chain probably gonna need replaced

obviously history

test ride, check for wobbles at high(er) speeds and in turning

signals, leaks, etc...

Quality is remembered long after cost is forgotten.

...Oh sorry I guess I am just another stupid kid who doesn't know anything...
#339016 07/31/02 05:39 AM
OP Offline
I don't think he'll let me test ride it since he knows I have never ridden a motorcycle before...

Car Pics

#339017 07/31/02 06:11 AM
R
R
He should give you a quick lesson and let you ride in a parking lot, there's gotta be some sorta mutual trust between buyer and seller.. Dealer let me drive a car when I was 15 that costs more than that bike. He had no way to know if I had ever drove anything before and he didn't ask.

"Wow, that sank fast." "Yeah, like a rock."
96 Contour GL ATX
9mm Ford Racing Wires; 2 Resonators down, 1 to go;"Special airbox"; many mods planned
Sony CD player: 50wattsx4;remote;
Speakers=50 watt Pioneer 6x8s
Ross Evans smile
#339018 08/01/02 05:36 AM
OP Offline
We'll see. I'm going to look at the bike tomorrow morning.

Car Pics

#339019 08/02/02 05:53 AM
C
C
Do what you'd do when buying a used car....

Look at engine parts... Anything leaking? Screws turned (like the engine has been opened)?

Look above rear wheel ( at the wheel hugger, under-carriage, etc. ) for melted rubber (indicated burn-outs [ mis-used clutch ]).

Check suspension for smooth flow.

Check chain for stretching (lift the lower portion of the chain and note distance that it moved [should be about 1" - 1.5"] roll forward and do it again. If there is a change in distance, chain will need to be replaced soon.)

Ask about periodic maintenance... how often oil was changed, last time oil filter was changed... when chain was last oiled... if the bike ever sat up for a long period..., etc.,etc....

Start it up... listen for anything discerning.

If ANYTHING stands out, or crosses you funny, ask about it. If you get a bad feeling about it, DON'T buy it... get someone else to take a look at it.

If you do get it... Congrats! I HIGHLY suggest the MSF course, especially if you've never ridden before. Look around your town for sport bikers and touring bikers to hang around... i.e. Wednesday night is pretty much a staple 'bike night' at ANY Hooters... Motorcyclists are very friendly... let me preface that with MOST ALL...

Once you get on the road... be sure to wave at the other bikers... it's common courtesy. laugh wink

Rubber side down...

--JamesT

Addendum: $2500 sounds like a GREAT price... Be sure to check for cosmetic damage as well. Ask if it has been dropped. Oh... And don't cry when you drop it in a parking lot or driveway... because you WILL drop it... everyone does at least once. :rolleyes:

>--------------<
--Chemguru

99 CSVT
Frost /Mid. Blue

00 Suzuki SV650
Red, Naked
#339020 08/03/02 05:58 AM
OP Offline
Actually, $2500 is what I'm shooting for. He's asking $3500 including a HoleShot exhaust, Stage II Jet Kit, and a fullface helmet. He also listed the prices on those items. It'd come out to be $2650. He said he'll sell just the bike if I don't want the other stuff and adjust the price. I told him I'll give $2500 for just the bike if the bike checks out to be OK by my biker friend. laugh I went and looked by myself, and there are some scratches on the side. And he made it clear from the beginning that the bike has been down at low speed before. Everything else seems OK to me, but then again I didn't know what I was looking for... frown I just wish my loan gets approved so I can get it.

Car Pics

Link Copied to Clipboard