Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#271687 07/01/02 11:52 AM
J
OP Offline
J
I need to AutoX out of town more. I sure do better than in St. Louis. Of course it was wet and a bit cold for Texas, but the course was a blast.

Times ran from some 63.x (the Porsche club hardcore guys in 914's) to the mid to upper 70's for those who were just getting started.

I turned a 68.105 which I think was the best Contour time of the day. (EDIT, now I know this was not the fastest Contour time, but rather 1ST 67 Mimlitch, David Red Contour SVT 67.321 SVT MOD) Vern was close with a 68.666, and OutlawdSVT from KC thinks he turned a 68.2xx, but the scoreboard was pretty wet and times were smudging off.

The course started with an egg shaped skid pad and took you through about three gates to a pivot cone. (Where, for the life of me I could never get my car to rotate, even with a full tank of fuel, spare still in there...) It turns right into about a half-dozen gates scattered in a nearly straight line (spelled 3rd gear). Back down to second for the right hand turn into an optional slalom. Out of the slalom to a right hander. Hard on the brakes for the Chicago box and then back on the gas for the left hand sweeper to the finish. (It sure is a lot easier to run the course once you memorize it wink )

The plan was to have four runs in the morning before lunch, take a lunch break, and then have three to five runs after lunch. Most of us got our four runs in before lunch, but timing issues caused some to only get three times. (Of course the best times were the ones that didn't get recorded wink )

I had a great time and hopefully will get the scores from the Porsche club soon so we can publish them.

I saw lots of grins from CEG'ers who'd never AutoX'ed before, as well as from some who had.

I'm sure I've missed details and names, but it is the best I can remember. I'm sure others can fill in some of those details.

TB

Tony Boner
Personal: 98cdw27@charter.net Work: tony.boner@sun.com
Saving the computer world from WinBloze as Unix/Solaris/Java Guru http://www.sun.com
1998 Contour SVT Pre-E1 618/6535 Born On Date: 4/30/1997
Now with Aussie Bar induced mild oversteer.
#271688 07/01/02 01:06 PM
S
S
Great job Java. Another victory for FOGEY and I suspect Vern is getting close to that age. After I had trouble sticking with you on that offramp at SZ I knew you had it in you.

Let us know when and where they post times. Any other SZ autocrossers attend?

As a reward for a job well done, I am sending you reimbursement for the postage (and more for hotel) on the wheel bolt covers. Thanks for sending them and sorry about the delay on my part.

I autocrossed in Tallahassee this weekend with OK results. Will post later. Again, CONGRATULATIONS!!

Fastest Contour at SZ 2002 Auto-X. 10th in PAX out of 125. CEO of FOGEY(Fast Old Guys Emasculating Young-uns), Inc. Terry Haines, Chairman, Senior V.P.s: (alphabetical)JavaContour, Jet Mech, MFE, SeicoRacing, SVTSTS, Vern Kilburn. If your not a member, yet, wait a few years. I'm not just the CEO, but I'm a member, too. Working with the rank and file to get the job done right!

Historical:
63 TVR (1K in 74), 75 TR-7 (paid cash new), 79 RX-7 (zoom,zoom), 81 RX-7GSL (autobahn-driven),82 Mustang GT (autobahn-driven), 85 Mustang GT (SE Division F Stock Solo II Champ), 86 MR-2 (3rd SE Division D Stock), 88 Civic DX (had 1st born and still owned MR2) 92 Sentra SE-R (all go and no show), 98 EO SVT Contour (FTD SZ 2002). 02 Altima 3.5SE 5 spd!!!
#271689 07/01/02 02:38 PM
C
C
Don't forget the Z06 with, I think, a run around 61.XX, but mostly around 63.XX. That car was bad@ss!! Not to mention in the rain - I was sure he was going to spin a few times, but he never did, IIRC.

It was cool to see SVTs (and SEs) run on a course - it was my first time. I only wish I would have had my SVT there.

Chad Purser
'98 Silver SVT
Mostly Stock
#271690 07/01/02 04:42 PM
S
S
Java,
Congratulations from your instructor. You're making me proud by your out of town showings. It is just tough here in St. Louis in your class.
The Z-06 Corvette has traction control just for those occasions when the track is damp. I wasn't there, but that is a possibility.
I was at a divisional in Salina this weekend so I couldn't make it. I was attempting to co drive a 230 hp Miata. I did okay on Saturday, less than 0.1 s behind the owner on raw time. Since he has the nice Tein HR coilovers and auto-x alignment, it has instant, more than a normal Miata, turn-in and I clipped a cone on turn-in. frown The car, I and the course were not on the same page Sunday and we had some braking issues towards the 4th runs. Oh well, still finished second out of 7 or 8 cars. I'll try to do better next time, it was my first time in a forced induction car and it was fun. It helped enforce my thought that a supercharger is the way to go for my Miata and auto-x. To all, run fast and run clean at the auto-x.

Respectfully,

Andy Hohl

#271691 07/01/02 11:42 PM
V
V
Well I finally got some sleep!! Since I am
44 hard years old I guess I qualify for FOGEY ? Ya the autocross was great. A little rain a 200 degree turn off a single pivot cone equals SO MUCH FUN I had to do my Colin McRae act! I never saw so many wet,happy contour drivers in my live! The wetter we got the bigger the smiles were.
Overall was a great day there was great improvement in the new drivers once they started trusting the cars. I was talking with Cody one of the big guys with the Porch club and he was impressed with the performance of ALL our drivers on such challanging and slipperly track!
You all did great and enjoyed having you here
even though you ran my old ass off swapping cars and shagging loner helments!! Was worth the effort. I had a ball!!!!!!!!!!
hope you all had a safe drive back to your homes and families.
PS: KEEP RACING!!!

Vern newest FOGEY!

#271692 07/01/02 11:55 PM
X
X
Had a great time at the autox. It was my first time competing and spectating.. I had a blast. I spoke with others to see if there was any such events in southern texas.. I hope so it was real fun and I would love to compete more often.. Thanks to all those that put this together. It was real exciting.. thanks again.. smile

Da Stealth Moblile
#271693 07/02/02 02:18 AM
S
S
echoing xtremecontours thoughts, i had such a blast, thanks to vern and all the vets who showed me what it was all about, i was pretty happy in end to pull off a 73.1, my first time autoX on crappy street tires!

im definately gonna try and find some autoX down here in alabama while im here

btw i think the best time the zo6 pulled was a 63xx and the best time overall was a boxter who did a 62

95 SE Champagne Mettalic
True Dual exhaust with X pipe and Redline mufflers
KKM Tru Rev intake
H&R Springs/KYB struts
Apex-i S-AFC
65mm Throttle Body
17" Ace Spades
4 Pt Racing Harness
Window Tint all around
New Engine @ 117k kilometers
G-Tech: 15.6 @ 91.5 MPH

"you officially kick ass"
quote from awed CEG'er after i chopped my hood and threw on scoops

RIP 98 SVT silverfrost *nov 4 2001*
#271694 07/02/02 03:14 AM
O
O
Yes I also had a BLAST. My best time was my last with a 62.xx.
I had to leave right after my runs. Did you guys end up running again? I thought that we were supposed to get at least 4 more runs in.
Glad to see everybody have a blast.
Take care and hopefully we can all go chasing down some more cones laugh laugh .
Later

2000 Black SVT Contour
#271695 07/02/02 06:27 AM
The autocross rocked!
I have my spins recorded and I'll post them when I can. 360 while running the top of second gear throwing spray everywhere!!!!
I think my best time was 69.009. Even with the spin, I got a 71! eek

"Talking is masturbation without the mess"...Our Lady Peace..

This is my car....
#271696 07/02/02 12:32 PM
S
S
S\V/T Kris. you just missed one nearby auto-X in Tallahassee. Pensacola, FL has one at the end of July if you are down here a long time. Jackson, MS has one SATURDAY, July 13 at Mississippi State Fairgrounds. We are having ours the next day, Sunday, 14 July, 15 miles northwest of Dothan,AL just off U.S. Hwy 231. Then take a left at the stoplight at Dale County Hwy 18 and look for the airfield on the right about a quarter mile.

Glad you all had a great time. Sorry it rained, but that may have made it even BETTER! Vern I added you to FOGEY!!!!!

Fastest Contour at SZ 2002 Auto-X. 10th in PAX out of 125. CEO of FOGEY(Fast Old Guys Emasculating Young-uns), Inc. Terry Haines, Chairman, Senior V.P.s: (alphabetical)JavaContour, Jet Mech, MFE, SeicoRacing, SVTSTS, Vern Kilburn. If your not a member, yet, wait a few years. I'm not just the CEO, but I'm a member, too. Working with the rank and file to get the job done right!

Historical:
63 TVR (1K in 74), 75 TR-7 (paid cash new), 79 RX-7 (zoom,zoom), 81 RX-7GSL (autobahn-driven),82 Mustang GT (autobahn-driven), 85 Mustang GT (SE Division F Stock Solo II Champ), 86 MR-2 (3rd SE Division D Stock), 88 Civic DX (had 1st born and still owned MR2) 92 Sentra SE-R (all go and no show), 98 EO SVT Contour (FTD SZ 2002). 02 Altima 3.5SE 5 spd!!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard