Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
OP Offline
P
There was a thread a while back where TommySVT mentioned getting radar hits from the solar panel powered poles along the Blue Route. I stated I never got any falses (besides the standard one at the I-76 interchange) on my V1.

Well, I was down on the Blue Route south of Villanova for the first time in a month or so yesterday, and I did get two falses - one at the US 1 exit and the other at Baltimore Pike exit. "K Band" no less, which is more than annoying because K is the only band I have ever seen PA Troopers using in an actual speed trap.

Here's my guess on what's going on: The ramp meter system has been installed for quite a while and are rarely used. The news has said that there were software problems preventing its full implementation. From what I understand, the system was going to use electronic loops in the pavement to count the rate of cars on the highway, and meter access based on that number when the rate was too high to prevent incoming traffic from clogging the highway. The more cars, the less frequently cars are allowed on.

Sounds good, but anyone that has been on that highway knows that it is a bumper to bumper drive, no matter what the rate of travel is. My guess is that the loops weren't making good counts with cars so close to each other, and the system has been switched to a radar based system (either tracking average travel speed or counting cars).

The good news is that I don't think that you can be issued a ticket from this system, even if they were taking pics with your speed reading. But, the fact that they use K will force me to slow until I get used to the false pattern so I can use the counter on the V1 to discern a lone false from a cop hiding in the false pattern.

Other possibilities: The radar system is used by a centralized traffic monitoring system (that put messages to the electronic signs or used by traffic news reporting systems).

Basically, I'll treat them just like the portable electronic traffic signs that emit radar (both K and X bands): harmless falses when the V1 counter only sees 1.

1998 Silver Frost SVT Contour born on...8/28/01[/i]
American Iron Shootout Radial Tire 2 Class Champion, Cecil County Dragway April 20, 2002
Y
Y
It's not like you break speed laws anyway ... wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Allen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Allen

********** Love Those REDWINGS !!! **********

2000 Contour SVT Black w/ Tan #2137 of 2150 / built 2-4-00
Mods : ~ Factory DRL mod ~ "Powered by Ford" seatbelt covers
~ OF's TH fix ~ Audi A-6 Side Repeaters ~ Highs in Lows Mod
~ #885 foggies ~ KKM filter ~ Mondeo ST200 Badging & Shiftknob
~ Pre-98 Sails ~ Nose Bra ~ Trunk cargo net ~ '98 Clock
~ "Glasspacked" Resonator ~ Painted Rear Reflector
~ Räzo Pedals ~ Custom "Mondeo" Windscreen Banner ~ Ventvisors
~ Lighted Moonroof Switch ~ Mystique Rear Seat Light
~ Painted Grille Ring ~ H&R Springs & Mondeo ST200 Struts
~ Mille Miglia "Cello" Wheels

My old 95 \'Tour SE ~ New SVT pics here
T
T
Ok, you are referring to 2 different things.

The loops are there and they work. It's just that Penndot doesn't know what they are doing so the ramp meters just became a 1.2 million dollar roadside attraction. I mean, why in God's name would you need them up near the turnpike where there hardly ever is a traffic jam.

Now onto the solar panel poles with the radar boxes. They are mounted at a 90* angle with the flow of traffic and mounted 45* pointing down. I higly doubt that is useful in gathering any kind of data, especially speed. To clock a speeder, state polic need to clock you while either coming towards them or away from them to gather a speed rating (Dopler effect). And, these lovely panelled headaches are on I-95 also. :rolleyes:

When I drove through the I-95 corrider in COnneticut a few years ago., they had a similar system set up where my detector went off every 1/2 mile. I had to turn the damn thing off. mad Locals up there confirmed the radar boxes.

N
N
Same radar poles are being put up on 202 just south of the i-76 exit... make me a but nervious

99 SVT GRN/TAN
Clarion w/ Cerwin Vega 5x7's, 10in the trunk.
Mods on the way.
P
OP Offline
P
I bet all these new radar emitters have something to do with the new electronic signs that are going up all over the Blue Route.

1998 Silver Frost SVT Contour born on...8/28/01[/i]
American Iron Shootout Radial Tire 2 Class Champion, Cecil County Dragway April 20, 2002
M
M
on the 80-90 toll road in indiana, they have a new animal warning system to warn of deer that they're testing out on a 2 or 3 mile stretch. It has a series of boxes with radar lines running between them. If a deer, or car, or anything, crosses thru the radar, it sets off warning lights on signs all along the route "Animal detected" Kind of a sweet system, but WAYYYYY too overkill... and damn those false alarms. (Actually weren't too bad w/ V1, but still some)

98.5 SVT E1, Silver Frost
5083 / 6535 born 3/18/98
Removed Resonator, K&N Filter
Complete audio system mods
Painted Interior & Calipers, Xenon bulbs
ON THE WAY: B&M, Aussie Bar, DMD
-------------------------------------
1964 Olds Cutlass F-85
Convertible
-------------------------------------
98 SE Black, Deceased

Link Copied to Clipboard