Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#120672 06/29/02 01:30 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Mostly thinking out loud here, but I figured I'd put this out there:

I was running with the stock SVT airbox until SZ. Steve Bassen gave me (thanks Steve!) a KKM (MAF adapter and non-SVT Powerstack). I'm going to talk drag runs since those are the only numbers I can use to compare A to B.

So, I went to the strip at SZ and ran a 15.239@88.93 and a 15.286@91.28. Both with identical 2.288 60' times. Dunno why the first run was lower ET and slower traps. Run 1 was at 7:04 PM and run 2 was at 7:14 PM. This was running with the stock airbox. Average times that day were 15.42@89.60.

A few weeks after SZ (with the KKM no heatshield no MAF screen), I ran at a strip here in PA. Warmer day, higher elevation. Best run was 15.201@93.73. Average run was 15.44@93.05. Slowest trap was 91.59 and the week before that I ran no faster than 91.28. So, the open filter did help to a degree (better traps and about the same ETs at a higher elevation and warmer day and slightly worse 60' times - 2.3s mostly).

One thing had really been bothering me - I felt no difference between 75% throttle and WOT. Pulled just as hard on the street at both conditions; no extra pull from WOT. So, I just got myself a conical K&N (RU-3530). Also got the gasket from BAT so I could use my MAF screen.

I've noticed two differences in the last few days. First, (before I put the screen in), I started to notice a difference between 75% throttle and WOT again. This seems to back the theory that the reverse cone design doesn't flow as well under high flow demand situations (turbulence from the two airflows "hitting" each other).

The second difference I have noticed (now with the MAF screen) is that the fluctuation in the MAF voltage is less. Meaning, the MAF measurements appear to be more precise now. This is just from observing the MAF signal with my S-AFC as I drive around, and I've only had the screen in for one day.

The only gripe I have with the BAT MAF gasket is that the ID should be a little bigger (screen didn't fit inside the hole) or a little smaller (screen wouldn't fit completely over the hole either).

Just food for thought. And before anyone goes saying "why are those times so slow?" - I just fixed the reason for my drivetrain lash under power (slowed shifts) and I still have to get my car dyno tuned. Feel free to send money for my dyno fund if you want. wink Oh yeah, and I won't power shift, so no suggesting that. (This really isn't a drag post anyway, just a way to compare the different setups I have run with.)

1998 Silver Frost SVT Contour born on...8/28/01[/i]
American Iron Shootout Radial Tire 2 Class Champion, Cecil County Dragway April 20, 2002
#120673 06/30/02 12:43 PM
D
D
PA, when you say this:
"One thing had really been bothering me - I felt no difference between 75% throttle and WOT. Pulled just as hard on the street at both conditions; no extra pull from WOT."
I can say that at times I feel the same situation occuring...

2000 Silver SVT #1602
Check it out in the registry!
Mi Coche
#120674 07/02/02 03:05 AM
D
D
Hey PA, did your non-SVT powerstack have enough room between it's end and the fender? They say it should have 1" of space for that inverted cone to breathe. Food for thought...

2000 Silver SVT #1602
Check it out in the registry!
Mi Coche

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard