Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
M
At the occasional moment that I actually stop and let the car idle, I have begun to notice that my speedometer will jump up to about 20 mph and sporadically jiggle.

Is this my VSS sensor telling me bye bye?!

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Sounds like it.

Either your connection is loose or dirty on the plug, or the VSS gear is broken or breaking off.

The first ones were plastic gears and break over time, the revised gears are metal.

Tony 1998 SVT Contour (B/MB) #542 3L 1998 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1266 parts car 2000 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1533 3L swap to begin!
A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by MapOfTaziFoSho:
At the occasional moment that I actually stop and let the car idle, I have begun to notice that my speedometer will jump up to about 20 mph and sporadically jiggle.

maybe your car is SOOO fast that its taunting you to floor it..

That or its your fast playing games with your head

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E

I think so. That happened on mine a few years ago. I was on a 3 hour road trip and for about 30 minutes that happened, the speedo needle jumping all over the place. That was at speed though, not just idling.

Then after the 30 minutes it just went. No more speedo. The car would die at strange times, clutch in slowing down on freeway off-ramp, turning a corner...

Finally took it in. The sensor had broken off inside and he had to rip it all apart to fix it. It was an expensive nightmare.

Good luck !

MUST SELL - ECM computer new for a 98 V6 mtx + pats Now trolling in a Red Nissan 4 x 4
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by Ex-Mean'Tour:

I think so. That happened on mine a few years ago. I was on a 3 hour road trip and for about 30 minutes that happened, the speedo needle jumping all over the place. That was at speed though, not just idling.

Then after the 30 minutes it just went. No more speedo. The car would die at strange times, clutch in slowing down on freeway off-ramp, turning a corner...

Finally took it in. The sensor had broken off inside and he had to rip it all apart to fix it. It was an expensive nightmare.

Good luck !

Yup, mine was randomly stalling when downshifting. Scary taking corners and it would stall and lock the steering. I was getting to be a pro at recovery, starting up the car and getting back lined up in my lane.

Tony 1998 SVT Contour (B/MB) #542 3L 1998 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1266 parts car 2000 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1533 3L swap to begin!
M
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Oh [censored], mine is doing all that stuff. I had better replace it.

I thought those were unrelated tuning mishaps with my 3L.

SHIZA!!

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard