Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
OP Offline
T

V6 MTX
'Don't p**s up my back then tell me it's raining!!!"
'Its only nuts & bolts!'
'If I build it,fix it,upgrade it or modify it...MAYBE they will come....!
Haines Motor Sports Inc,
Dealer for 'Quaife America' & 'Autotech Sport Tuning'
SOLE USA Dealer for the American Axle 'AUSSIE BAR'...
Get a Turbo for you Zetec from HMS Inc...by 'The Demon' ...www.DemonDynamics.co.uk
..don't talk about it DO IT !!!
R
R
Great stuff Terry! Check this out, www.theoldone.com This site is a gold mine of tech info. Larry is a true pioneer in the auto field as well as others! wink

P
P
My head hurts after skimming that, but two paragraphs jumped out at me:

Quote:
Ford's 1960's four-cam V-8 also had huge intake ports, and while it turned more revs than the Offy four-banger engines then dominant at Indianapolis, it was no better than a match for them. When given an early peek at the Indy Ford's cylinder-head castings, I expressed the thought that its ports might be too big. Ford's engineers were too polite to tell me how absurd they considered my remark to be, but their expressions made it plain. I was too polite to send them an "I told you so" note after Dan Gurney sent one of the engines to Weslake Engineering in England, where it's intake ports were made smaller and its output got bigger.
Quote:
I'm not convinced that polishing a port's interior surfaces to a mirror finish does anything but look good. The problem here is that while we know there's a degree of roughness beyond which flow suffers, we can't agree on the limit to which polishing helps. One (sic) those rare occasions when I do porting myself, I settle for a smooth but not polished finish. If I were in the head porting business like my long-tie (sic) friend Jerry Branch, I'd put a spit shine inside the ports and combustion chamber, just as he does. The way Jerry does it, his customers never have to wonder if the ports are smooth enough.

1998 Silver Frost SVT Contour born on...8/28/01[/i]
American Iron Shootout Radial Tire 2 Class Champion, Cecil County Dragway April 20, 2002
T
OP Offline
T
I think I've referenced the 'polish' part before..and as for 'open up' the ports re pinned/removed secondries etc..as you can see 'velocity' & cylinder filling are of prime importance re Weslake of England..!!!!need we say more! laugh

V6 MTX
'Its only nuts & bolts!'
Haines Motor Sports Inc,
Get a Turbo for you Zetec from HMS Inc...by 'The Demon' ...www.DemonDynamics.co.uk
R
Administrator
Administrator
R
good stuff terry!

though I would like to add a bit of commentary, for some of the folks out there laugh

You need to remember, that things are all about balance, and intake ports (and exhaust ports) are no different in this regard. You need to determine what the ports you are considering need. Are they large enough? how is the port velicity? how much flow loss am I getting here?
Sometimes larger ports will help, sometimes they won't. An example, if you have a port that is perfectly balanced between it velocity profile and its flow volume, then larger ports will simply kill flow velocity, and reduce top-end power (maybe pick up a bit of low-end, but not always on that either) BUT if you have a port that has good velocity, but is actually restrictive to flow, then opening up the port a bit will probably increase flow w/ little to no decrease in velocity (or in rare cases my increase velocity)

It all comes down to the old adage, "measure twice, cut once" make sure you know what you are doing before you try to do somehting (unless you are experimenting, and can afford to screw up a few times)

It's all about balance. Look at everything as a system, and treat it as such.

It's all about balance.

bcphillips@peoplepc.com
S
S
I thought everyone knew that "some" amount of roughness was necesary to interupt the boundry layer to increase flow. The thing that causes it is that the boundry layer is more or less static (ie not moving) and you get huge "shear" along the edges where the fast moving gas trips over/rips away from the stationary gas. By introuducing very small amounts of controlled turbulence you essentially add teeny weeny air ball bearings for the incoming flow to slip against. I've seen the same principle used on the hulls of boats to limit drag (actually used air pumped along the hull). Also that is why golf balls have dimples, and air plane wings have little ridges on them.

The trick is that is takes damn near a Cray super computer to figure out when the turbulence is just enough to help and not slowing things down worse than they were to begin with. The engineering of a simple golf ball is really probably a cumulative effort of 1000's and 1000's of man hours of effort, and if anyone tried to dimple something to improve it's flow they would probably need a CNC machine, a flow bench and lots and lots of spare parts to figure out by trial and error what helped and what hurt.

(Disclaimer: Okay, so I got a C in my fluid dynamics class, and haven't used any of the knowledge in over 10 years - so take it with a grain of salt)

97 SE MTX, KKM, UR UDP, 19# Injectors, SVT TB, SVT UIM, SVT Flywheel, Grizzly Street Clutch, Upgraded motor mounts, mystifed precats, brand new main cat, SVT exhaust sans resonator, 205-55-15 Dunlop SP5000's

154hp / 156 tq before the SVT exhaust, SVT dual honed upper and swapping the mystery main cat for mystery precats.

My Profile
J
J
I prefer the mirror polish but not only from a performance standpoint, but a maintenance point of view. The smoother the metal the more difficult it is for gunk (not the best word choice, but it really fit here lol) to build up and attach. This gunk can build up and restrict flow, so its a matter of preventative maintenance. Just remember, no matter how smooth your ports are they will eventually "gunk" up, smoother just doesn't "gunk" up as fast in my experience.

14.6 out of a 12 valve 3.0 Taurus
A wise man once said, rather then watch a girl wrestle I would rather see her box.
B
B
Learn somthin' new every day laugh

'00 Blk SVT
T
OP Offline
T
ttt...for the 'secondaries'...experts!!! :rolleyes:

V6 MTX
'Its only nuts & bolts!'
Haines Motor Sports Inc,
S
S
Quote:
Originally posted by Terry Haines:
ttt...for the 'secondaries'...experts!!! :rolleyes:
Heh heh heh heh.. Wider is better!!!! :p At least thats what Pontiac says. *Note sarcasem*

98 V6 Lots-o-mods SOLD
88 Daytona Shelby Z TII (The beast)
87 Daytona Shelby Z TII (Holy 20 psi of boost batman!)
Mods- 3" Downpipe, Hi-Flow cat, 3" mandrel bent exhaust with Dynomax Ultra flow. Manual boost controller, TurboXS blowoff, 5th injector, large canister wastegate, Nitrous Express go-fast-be-happy kit, ported exhaust manifold, ported intake manifold, upgraded motormounts, eibach springs, strut tower brace. Oh and 20 PSI to boot.. my oh my...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard