Next Thread
Print Thread
R
R_G Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I just moved into this house and still can't figure out how all the stuff works.

The question: in the basement there are kinda 3 electric light areas, like kinda accent lights - all regulated by 3 separate switches. 2 areas always been giving this dim light and only the center area been lighting up bright. It was my understanding that the difference between the dim and bright areas was the wattage of the bulbs - like let's say 45W and 65W - I can't check it 'cause on most of the bulbs there are no markings.

Today however the central area went dim. There are no dimmers in the area that could've been accidentally triggered.

What could possibly be the cause of this sudden dim and how to fix it?

Thanks a lot in advance.

G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
its either a short (not good) but if it was that i'd think it blow the fuse

or maby a hidden dimmer switch somewere or someone's messing with you and changing out the bulbs

1996 zetec atx 19.3381 at 71.51 mph 1/4 mile click me for an interesting sitea wbsite you should check outjoined the 100k+ club 5/21/06
R
R_G Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by GS474:
its either a short (not good) but if it was that i'd think it blow the fuse

I checked the fuses and all - the circuit breaker in charge of the basement is on, the test/trip/protection function is working normally...

T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Sometimes bulbs dim as they start to go bad. What type of bulbs are they?

You can easily check the voltage if you have a multimeter or voltmeter. Sometimes the electrical circuit will only have a voltage drop if the circuit has a load. A voltage drop test is the best way to find where the problem is. A voltmeter will show the voltage difference (voltage drop) between two points in an electrical circuit.

Link Copied to Clipboard