Next Thread
Print Thread
R
red dog Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
R
I dont know what it is but I get all kinds of radio stations when I'm sitting there with the car off and when I start it it turns to static and I only get 1 or 2 stations. I have a POS sony HU that I want to replace but cant If someone could help me out. I cant figure it out or think of what it could be.

99 svt black with blue pearl with to many miles
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Sony isn't THAT bad. The capacitor on the coil pack is not grounded or the ignition wires are old. "Racing" wires might cause noise. If you have a carbon fiber hood, it will not shield the ignition. Try running another car, hood up parked near the antenna, see if it causes the same interference while your engine is off.

F
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
F
9 times out of 10, when static is heard thru the radio, usually leads to spark plugs. AM stations have the worst feedback in this scenario. If you hear increasing static consistent with vehicle's gas pedal acceleration, you know where to start to look, the plugs.

1998 Contour Svt Born 5/12/97 #897 of 6535 Those who think, are conquered, Those who act, conquer.
R
red dog Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
R
It an older sony and I'm having a few problems with it so it almost time to get rid of it. It doesnt sound like interferance, its like flippin a switch the station will come in clear and as soon as I start the car its gone and I only get one or two staions. Its weird ,I dont listen to AM stations either

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Your car is wiping out the reception. You could try a new headunit (Alpine?) but you might still have the same problem.

R
red dog Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
R
I think I need a new antenna also a new HU but that can wait I messed around with it the other day and with the trunk lid up and it did the same thing and then I messed with the antenna and the reception went in and out so I think I'll try the antenna first its cheaper. Where can I get a different antenna? The person who had the car before me cut the wire and put a cheap ass POS aftermarket one in.

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Try Circuit City or even Pep Boys. You might just need the long wire.

R
red dog Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
R
What is the long wire, there is alot of wires in there.

I was messin around with it again and the stations go out when I turn the car on but dont start it so the interference from the engine or plugs are ruled out so still dont know what it could be.

Moderated by  dnewma04_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard