Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
sigma Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by Pete D:
For $12k I don't know how nice of an E39 5-series you would get, they tend to hold their value pretty well. I know when I was looking last spring I didn't want to pay what they were going for, and that was 530's not 540's.

If I was gonna get one, it'd be an earlier one. The '97s are almost all below $12K, about half the '98s are below $12K, and some of the '99s are that low.

The 'fear' is, again, buying a Bimmer with almost 100,000 miles on it. It'd be nice and it'd be something different that I'd probably never buy one new (or anywhere near it).

2003 Mazda6s 3.0L MTX Webpage
2004 Mazda3s 2.3L ATX
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Avoid the 2003+ Saab 9-3. It's just a pimped up Malibu. Ride and drive are unimpressive and it's not nearly the car of the real Saabs of the previous generation. The Linear goes back to the light pressure turbo I've already telling you to avoid.

Lexus IS300's are a lot pricier there than here. I've seen some earlier listings in the 13's here without too many miles.

The LS only offers a MTX with the V6. It was one I was just throwing out there, but didn't think it was a winner.

Brad "Diva": 2004 Mazda 6s 5-door, Volcanic Red Rex: 1988 Mazda RX-7 Vert, Harbor Blue.
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
It's a slushbox but this would otherwise seem to fit the bill nicely. 2000 A6 Quattro 2.7T on Craigslist local to me:
"Beautiful car- Brilliant black with black leather interior, Premium Package, AWD, xenon headlights, steering wheel controls, auto + tiptronic , CD, power seats, mirrors, sunroof, loaded with amenities. 88K. Well maintained, with regular service intervals -just inspected. $11,500 or reasonable offer. "

Scott

Troll! '99 BMW 328i
N
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
N
If this is a financial decision it really doesnt make sense. The only true financial option is to refi your 6. Any other option would cost you higher interest, depreciation on the existing car (by eating it at sale) and depreciation on the car you wish to purchase.... also factor in the fees and sales tax.

If cash flow is your primary concern then paying cash for a junker is an okay idea... as long as it doesn't break. If it breaks then you are probably worse off. (it will also eat your cash and dip into the money you are trying to save)

If cash flow is the most important thing and you dont put a lot of miles on your car then go get a really cheap lease with minimal money down. You can get a really nice car for 200 a month with a warranty and get rid of it in 3 years.

Beware of cheap older european cars such as an Audi... that will eat you alive.

05 Legacy GT Turbo 5speed 99 SVT GRN/TAN (sold) 06 Ford Explorer EBv8
S
sigma Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
I've got money, that's not a problem, it's just largely tied up in investments that I don't feel like liquidating. It's just a monthly cash flow situation that I'm looking to improve.

Refinancing is definitely near the top of the list. I know getting something else would cost more; but it would get me something else, which has a value in and of itself. Just as the incredible reliability I've had with my Mazda6 has a significant value to keeping it.

2003 Mazda6s 3.0L MTX Webpage 2004 Mazda3s 2.3L ATX
P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
Originally posted by sigma:
I've got money, that's not a problem, it's just largely tied up in investments that I don't feel like liquidating. It's just a monthly cash flow situation that I'm looking to improve.

Refinancing is definitely near the top of the list. I know getting something else would cost more; but it would get me something else, which has a value in and of itself. Just as the incredible reliability I've had with my Mazda6 has a significant value to keeping it.

If it's monthly cash flow, leasing is almost always the way to go. You could definitely get something pretty decent for $200-$300/month which unless you put a huge down payment on your 6, is less than what you are paying now.

IMO, I think you are overestimating your 6s value somewhat, a friend of mine has a 2003 6s and was looking at trading up into an Acura or something (as he got a promotion) but couldn't get what he thought was fair, even with a private sale. Can't hurt to put it up for sale if you are serious though.

"Bros before Hoes" <-- More men need this mentality.
S
sigma Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Quote:

IMO, I think you are overestimating your 6s value somewhat, a friend of mine has a 2003 6s and was looking at trading up into an Acura or something (as he got a promotion) but couldn't get what he thought was fair, even with a private sale. Can't hurt to put it up for sale if you are serious though.

I keep a pretty good eye on what the market is bearing around here, as I've been off and on on the idea of selling my car for over a year now.

In my area, AutoTrader only has 1 Fully-Loaded 6s as mine is (or was), it's got twice as many miles (therefore, no factory warranty whereas mine's got another 10,000 miles of warranty) and they're asking $16K, but they're a dealer. The closest private-seller equipped somewhat like mine with similar miles is way down in Austin, asking $15.2K. Even that one is missing some equipment and started life more than $1,500 cheaper than mine did.

There's not a single loaded 6s that's less than $15K within 300 miles of me. Any decently-equipped 6s that lists anywhere in the $14-15K area doesn't stay listed more than a couple weeks. If it was stock I could turn it at $14K by the end of the month, no doubt. It would be the cheapest fully-loaded '03 in the State, and one of only a couple that have remaining factory warranty. And, if need be, I could revert it to stock for about $1,000.

2003 Mazda6s 3.0L MTX Webpage
2004 Mazda3s 2.3L ATX
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by SVT4STD:
2002-2003 Maxima SE 6 speed with optional factory LSD

V6 3.5L, 255 hp. Luxury, style and performance.

Absolutely agree, except you'd be hard pressed to find one with a clear title with only a $12000 maximum budget. 2000-2001 model years are more likely. Less horsepower (222hp), only 5-speed, and no HIDs, but it still looks and rides the same as the 2002-2003. Most comfortable highway cruiser I've ever driven by far (especially with the optional 17" alloys); highly recommended. I got mine, absolutely fully loaded with 64K miles, for just over 10K. See the list of options in the link in my sig.

That said, I still think you should look into refinancing your Mazda or something .. with a new used car you are entering unknown territory and history. You could be giving up a perfectly reliable (and under warranty??) Mazda6 in exchange for a car that turns out to be a premature rustbucket that the owner attempted to drive into the ground. I can understand purchasing a beater while you save up, but the slight difference in price between your current car and your budget make it almost not worthwhile considering the unknowns faced.

Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
I have to say no Maxima has been worth it since the early 1990's.

Brad "Diva": 2004 Mazda 6s 5-door, Volcanic Red Rex: 1988 Mazda RX-7 Vert, Harbor Blue.
F
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
F
Infinity g35 coupe............ UMMMM maybe not..........

1998 Contour Svt Born 5/12/97 #897 of 6535 Those who think, are conquered, Those who act, conquer.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard