Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1586256 06/08/06 12:58 AM
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
I sold an Item on eBay. The Buyer sent a Bank Check in U.S. dollars from the Royal Canadian Bank payable through J P Morgan Chase Bank. My bank wouldn't deposit the check but they sent the check to the main branch of the bank to collect the payment. The check looked real and it had two special watermarks that looked like they would be impossible to copy.

Has anyone else had problems depositing Bank checks from Canada that are payable through U.S. Banks in U.S. funds?

#1586257 06/08/06 01:08 AM
K
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by Tom Thumb:
I sold an Item on eBay. The Buyer sent a Bank Check in U.S. dollars from the Royal Canadian Bank payable through J P Morgan Chase Bank. My bank wouldn't deposit the check but they sent the check to the main branch of the bank to collect the payment. The check looked real and it had two special watermarks that looked like they would be hard to impossible to copy.

Has anyone else had problems depositing Bank checks from Canada that are payable through U.S. Banks in U.S. funds?

You should have taken it to a Chase branch, they may have cashed it sooner for you. Foreign checks, even if drawn on a U.S. bank are still very risky for banks. They will send them for collection most of the time. FWIW, just because the check appears legit doesn't mean much. The same safety paper used by financial institutions is available for you or me to purchase. Consider their sending it for collection as a service to you. Better safe than sorry.

2006 Mazdaspeed6 1997 Yamaha YZF1000R Thunderace 1996 Volvo 850-R
#1586258 06/08/06 01:17 AM
L
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
L
i dont know why they would give you a hard time about the check. If its certified by RBC it should just the same as any other cheque, regardless of where it came from. Ive never had any problems and Ive bought stuff on Ebay from people in the states a few times, hell even Russia

95 Merc Stique Zetec 2.0 Auto
#1586259 06/08/06 01:37 AM
K
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by loggerbomb:
i dont know why they would give you a hard time about the check. If its certified by RBC it should just the same as any other cheque, regardless of where it came from. Ive never had any problems and Ive bought stuff on Ebay from people in the states a few times, hell even Russia

Canadian Banks and U.S. Banks are different.

#1586260 06/08/06 01:50 AM
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
It seems like banks are suspicious. A few years ago I went to deposit 3 checks. One of the check writers had put a special watch on his account because someone had forged a check. I ask the bank which check it was. They said "You know what check it is". I was angry so I left the drive through window and went inside so I could look the person straight in the eyes. They told me which check it was and I told them that it was no problem because I know the person well who wrote the check.

Then once I fell into the river when I was fishing and got a check wet. The bank gave me some really suspicious looks. They thought that I had washed the check and written it for a higher dollar amount.

The bank should know I'm honest because I've been banking there for almost 20 years.

I like my bank pretty well but they are suspicious of everyone.

#1586261 06/08/06 02:31 AM
K
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
It seems like banks are suspicious. A few years ago I went to deposit 3 checks. One of the check writers had put a special watch on his account because someone had forged a check. I ask the bank which check it was. They said "You know what check it is". I was angry so I left the drive through window and went inside so I could look the person straight in the eyes. They told me which check it was and I told them that it was no problem because I know the person well who wrote the check.

Then once I fell into the river when I was fishing and got a check wet. The bank gave me some really suspicious looks. They thought that I had washed the check and written it for a higher dollar amount.

The bank should know I'm honest because I've been banking there for almost 20 years.

Well check counterfeiting is at an all time high right now. So all banks and financial institutions are somewhat paranoid.

#1586262 06/08/06 03:50 AM
H
Scourge of the Master Debaters
Scourge of the Master Debaters
H
I work for a data processor and check clearinghouse. I'm in the tech area, so I don't work around the check processing area too much, but from what I understand Canadian items are handled much differently than US items. There are special procedures for processing them.

Its only going to get worse. Many of our customers (small community banks) are being told by their examiners that they must implement analysis systems for PATRIOT Act compliance. We are installing a system which will monitor accounts and alert bank officials if any "suspicious" activity occurs on your account. For example, let's say you write three or four checks a month, and for dollar amounts ranging from $10-$1000. This happens for years. Then, for whatever reason, you need to write several large checks in one month, say $7000-$10,000 (you've got the cash to cover them). Your account would be flagged for suspicious activity. I'm not certain what would happen with your account, but it could be frozen or investigated by law enforcement, depending on the circumstances.

Last edited by hetfeild; 06/08/06 03:52 AM.

Beer is my Gatorade. Hooray Beer. '98 "Sport" Pacific Green '98 E0 SVT Silver Frost Pictures
#1586263 06/08/06 04:40 PM
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
I hope the goverment doesn't take away too many American rights. Free Enterprise has always worked well.

China seems to be doing better. I see that they sell a lot of expensive counterfeit items. I bought a pair of Chinese binoculars and the lens fell out in two days. China makes expensive $300 microscope stages that were made in Japan. The counterfeit microscope stages sell by the hundreds for $49 each. I guess they are most famous for the fake Rolex Watches.

#1586264 06/09/06 12:04 AM
I
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I
I guess they are most famous for the fake Rolex Watches.

I have one of those!

BrApple-its all in the way it is presented...but everythign on my resume is all me TexasRealtor-I hope you spelling improves on your resume. MxRacer-ladies and gentlemen, welcome to ironyville. population, texasrelator.
#1586265 06/09/06 12:43 AM
N
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
N
Originally posted by hetfeild:
I work for a data processor and check clearinghouse. I'm in the tech area, so I don't work around the check processing area too much, but from what I understand Canadian items are handled much differently than US items. There are special procedures for processing them.

Its only going to get worse. Many of our customers (small community banks) are being told by their examiners that they must implement analysis systems for PATRIOT Act compliance. We are installing a system which will monitor accounts and alert bank officials if any "suspicious" activity occurs on your account. For example, let's say you write three or four checks a month, and for dollar amounts ranging from $10-$1000. This happens for years. Then, for whatever reason, you need to write several large checks in one month, say $7000-$10,000 (you've got the cash to cover them). Your account would be flagged for suspicious activity. I'm not certain what would happen with your account, but it could be frozen or investigated by law enforcement, depending on the circumstances.

We have implemented this. Every month I see a lot of fraudulant checks. Ebay, lottery winners, rebate checks... you name it. The banks job is to be suspicious. (to protect itself and its customers) Even the smallest banks see hundreds of thousands of dollar of losses due to fraud. Also the government is instituting a lot of costly and pointless policies to tell consumers that they are "being protected"

05 Legacy GT Turbo 5speed 99 SVT GRN/TAN (sold) 06 Ford Explorer EBv8
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard