Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
Why isn't this technology in full scale yet?

Water as fuel technology?

Another article.

2006 Mazdaspeed6 1997 Yamaha YZF1000R Thunderace 1996 Volvo 850-R
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
re...

kevin m 98 T-red mystique gs zetec ATX | my ride |
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
cycle

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
<sssiiiggghhhh>

Time to get out the physics book again...

It's easy to get hydrogen out of water. But the power you get out of the hydrogen is *less* than the electricity you used to get it. Looking for some science fun? All you need are a couple batteries, some paper clips and some salt water: http://www.theodoregray.com/PeriodicTable/Stories/001.1/

Another way to look at it: Petroleum is an "energy source"; we get more out of the gasoline (or whatever) than we put into drilling/refining/everything else we do to get it.
Hydrogen is (based on currently available technology) only an "energy form"; perhaps a convenient way to store or use energy, but it depends on an energy source being available to produce it.

Until this fundamental issue is resolved, developing fuel cell cars on a large scale simply won't make sense. Either we come up with a more efficient way to procedure hydrogen, or we come up with some other energy source so plentiful that any efficiency loss converting it to hydrogen isn't important.

Last edited by phil; 06/06/06 09:58 PM.

1995 Contour GL V6 ATX T/C 1986 Mustang GT 5.0 2000 Windstar LX
K
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by phil:
<sssiiiggghhhh>

It's easy to get hydrogen out of water. But the power you get out of the hydrogen is *less* than the electricity you used to get it. Looking for some science fun? All you need are a couple batteries, some paper clips and some salt water: http://www.theodoregray.com/PeriodicTable/Stories/001.1/

Another way to look at it: Petroleum is an "energy source"; we get more out of the gasoline (or whatever) than we put into drilling/refining/everything else we do to get it.
Hydrogen is (based on currently available technology) only an "energy form"; perhaps a convenient way to store or use energy, but it depends on an energy source being available to produce it.

Until this fundamental issue is resolved, developing fuel cell cars on a large scale simply won't make sense. Either we come up with a more efficient way to procedure hydrogen, or we come up with some other energy source so plentiful that any efficiency loss converting it to hydrogen isn't important.

Wow, I guess you're smarter than he is then huh? He seems to have made it work.

2006 Mazdaspeed6 1997 Yamaha YZF1000R Thunderace 1996 Volvo 850-R
D
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by phil:
<sssiiiggghhhh>

He pours the water in and using electricity is able to get the hydrogen is the jist of it, I think. Who says that original electricity has to come from fossil fuels? And nowhere did it state that the input energy eclipsed the output, unless you have evidence otherwise. If that WERE true why in the hell would congress invite him to demonstrate his process for them?

99 Silver CSVT
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by deftoned989:
If that WERE true why in the hell would congress invite him to demonstrate his process for them?

Because (a) Members of Congress aren't the brightest bulbs out there - politically savvy, good at raising money but generally not that bright. Trust me, I interned in Congress for a semester during undergraduate. The staffers, on the other hand, are generally very bright, highly motivated people. Good thing, since they're the ones running the country by controlling what information the Members they work for get. and (b) it makes for good publicity for Congress - "Look, we're trying to do something to reduce our dependency on foreign oil! Contribute money to my campaign!"

Scott

Troll! '99 BMW 328i
D
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by Pigeon:

Because (a) Members of Congress aren't the brightest bulbs out there - politically savvy, good at raising money but generally not that bright. Trust me, I interned in Congress for a semester during undergraduate. The staffers, on the other hand, are generally very bright, highly motivated people. Good thing, since they're the ones running the country by controlling what information the Members they work for get. and (b) it makes for good publicity for Congress - "Look, we're trying to do something to reduce our dependency on foreign oil! Contribute money to my campaign!"

Scott

Well, I'm sorry but I'm not going to form my opinion of congress around your one semester internship, but regardless, I can publish an article that says I found the cure to AIDs and life on Mars, but that isn't going to get me an audience in congress. The fact that congress is interested proves there is at least some validity to the process.

99 Silver CSVT
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by deftoned989:
Originally posted by Pigeon:

Scott

Well, I'm sorry but I'm not going to form my opinion of congress around your one semester internship, but regardless, I can publish an article that says I found the cure to AIDs and life on Mars, but that isn't going to get me an audience in congress. The fact that congress is interested proves there is at least some validity to the process.

Yeah and you can take a cookie to Congress too, doesn't mean they'll eat it. :shrugs:

S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
There's a lot of gullible people in the world, including in Congress.

This ain't new folks. Not by a LONG shot. Just type "HHO" into Google and see what you get. The stuff's been around 50 years and goes by any number of a dozen names. This latest guy just happened to get himself on the local news station at a time when people are over-sensitive to anything fuel-related.

2003 Mazda6s 3.0L MTX Webpage 2004 Mazda3s 2.3L ATX
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard