GS474 Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
why we don't have all the good diesel cars overhere

the reason

Quote:

Anyone who has been to Europe recently and rented, say, a BMW 7 Series or a Mercedes-Benz S-Class, or even a Volkswagen Beetle or Ford Focus, knows that today's diesels are far more civilized than our irascible Volkswagen Rabbit. In the past decade, diesel technology has revved ahead. It began with European consumers, who were motivated by gasoline prices at least twice those in the United States. European government officials, meanwhile, concerned about global warming, created tax breaks to encourage diesel car ownership (since diesels burn less fuel, they produce fewer of the greenhouse gases, including carbon dioxide, that contribute to climate change). Automakers responded by investing heavily in diesel research, and the new technologies that emerged have virtually eliminated the smell, noise, and power disadvantage of the diesel. Today, 35 percent of passenger vehicles sold in Europe are diesel-powered, and industry experts predict that portion will rise to 50 percent in the next decade.

In North America, however, only 2 to 3 percent of vehicles sold annually are diesel-powered, according to the Diesel Technology Forum, an industry trade group -- and most of those are commercial vehicles. Diesel is an attractive option for trucks because the fuel savings on gas-guzzling 18-wheelers can be tremendous. When it comes to diesel-powered passenger cars, however, only one is available in the United States: the Volkswagen Golf TDI. That is in part because American consumers, spoiled by cheap gas prices and hampered by enduring negative perceptions, have been down on diesels. In addition, diesel emissions have been specially targeted by U.S. regulators. Diesels spew high levels of nitrogen oxides, gases believed by some experts to be carcinogenic, as well as soot (or particulates), which contribute to the formation of smog. Whereas European pollution standards focus primarily on carbon dioxide emissions and so are achievable by diesel cars, new EPA regulations about to take effect in the United States aim specifically to reduce nitrogen oxides and particulates and will be more difficult for diesel manufacturers to meet.

Nevertheless, automakers are anxious to introduce more diesel-powered models in the United States. That's because SUVs, pickup trucks, and other vehicles that burn through gasoline have been selling so well in recent years, leaving car manufacturers struggling to meet U.S. fuel-economy standards. Those standards are calculated company-wide, which means that fuel-efficient diesels could conveniently offset the gluttony of their more wasteful brethren.

And if the strong sales of the Golf TDI and General Motors' new diesel-powered heavy-duty pickup trucks are any indication, U.S. consumers may be ready. Customers have waited up to six months for delivery of the GM trucks, which are equipped with Duramax diesel engines, and GM is planning to increase production by 50 percent -- to 150,000 diesel engines a year. A shift to diesel could be rather seamless for Detroit automakers, since they are already making diesel-powered vehicles and marketing them elsewhere. Ford, for example, sells a wide range of models abroad, including its economy-size Focus; Chrysler, meanwhile, sells diesel-powered minivans and Jeep Libertys in Europe.

The main appeal of the new diesels, industry proponents say, is that they're not only efficient but fun to drive. "The great success of diesels in Europe comes from much more than simply the engine's fuel economy," says Hermann Scholl, board chairman of Robert Bosch, a German automotive supplier. "The new generation of diesel engines delivers outstanding torque and acceleration -- appealing to people who love to drive." Rudolf Diesel, a French-born engineer, patented the idea for the diesel engine in 1892. What Diesel invented was an engine that was inherently more fuel-efficient than a gasoline engine. A gasoline engine works by taking in a mixture of gas and air, compressing it, and then igniting the mixture with a spark. A diesel engine, by contrast, takes in only air, compresses it, and then injects fuel into the compressed air. The heat of the compressed air lights the fuel spontaneously. Today's diesels deliver up to 30 percent more fuel economy than do gasoline engines. Diesel fuel, which is heavier and oilier than gasoline, has a higher energy density: A gallon of diesel fuel produces more energy than a gallon of gasoline.

theres more pages if you click on the link 3 pages in total

the reason

in nothing else its a very good read

1996 zetec atx 19.3381 at 71.51 mph 1/4 mile click me for an interesting sitea wbsite you should check outjoined the 100k+ club 5/21/06
P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
Really old article - a lot has changed in the last 4+ years. Or maybe it hasn't.

One thing that hasn't: There still aren't many non-truck diesel options in the US.

More to the point on US vs. Europe on diesels:

European countries are willing to accept the additional air pollution caused by the diesel engine. The trend in European environmental policy has to been to focus on carbon dioxide, which is relatively harmless to people but may cause global warning. Diesels, because they run with an excess of oxygen, produce very little carbon dioxide, and almost no carbon monoxide. American policy has focussed on pollutants that cause real harm to people, such as the particulates emitted by diesel engines. It is a very different approach to basic public health policy issues.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com//editorials/1105972578/

One thing that will be changing: The US will get low-sulphur diesel fuel soon, which will help engines meet emissions standards.

But another change: The next tier of emissions standards will take effect soon, and is particularly hard on diesels. I don't know of any current production diesel that meets the next-tier particulate standard. I believe Mercedes is planning to have a particulate trap that will meet the standard; haven't heard of anyone else who's ready to go.

With the current gas prices, there will be a lot of pressure on automakers to offer diesels that make sense in the US.

Personally, I'd love to see a diesel minivan: Lots of torque makes sense for normal minivan use. A version of the Mercedes E-class diesel adapted for FWD use in a Chrysler minivan would be awesome. Plus it would make an awesome tow vehicle (I tow a popup camper with my minivan for family camping trips).

1995 Contour GL V6 ATX T/C 1986 Mustang GT 5.0 2000 Windstar LX
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by phil:
Personally, I'd love to see a diesel minivan: Lots of torque makes sense for normal minivan use. A version of the Mercedes E-class diesel adapted for FWD use in a Chrysler minivan would be awesome. Plus it would make an awesome tow vehicle (I tow a popup camper with my minivan for family camping trips).

They've got diesel Chrysler minivans here... powered by a 2.5L (5-speed manual) or a 2.8L (auto).

And like I posted in my wisdom teeth thread, I can't keep up with the Audi diesels! I had a hard time keeping up with an A4 with the 2.0L (140-170hp), and an A6 diesel totally blew my doors off at speed (probly the 3.0L 233hp setup).

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
there is a local Jetta TDi with widebody and some insane engine mods. it put down 550wtq and 517whp and still gets 30mpg. it's nuts.

~Andrew

2001 VW Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 20 valves of fury
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Honestly, I think that the reason that diesel has such a hard time here is that the regulators now who are making the rules were kids in the 1970s when diesel cars in the US were crappy, smoky, smelly monsters, and thus the attitudes against diesel were cemented in their empty heads.

"Think of it, if you like, as a librarian with a G-string under the tweed." Clarkson on the Mondeo.
X
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
X
I believe they are still producing VW Beetle/Jetta's/Passats Jeep Liberity's and some Audi's now, not just the Golf's.

Originally posted by Chickens:
Religion can't do much for ashholes (unless you are an alterboy)

98.5 Se w/SVT mods 98 E0 SVT~ sold
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by XKontour98:
I believe they are still producing VW Beetle/Jetta's/Passats Jeep Liberity's and some Audi's now, not just the Golf's.

I have an 05 Liberty CRD and rumor is that there won't be any CRDs for 07, and 08 is suppose to be introducing something they are calling BlueTec.

In Europe almost all the DC cars have the 2.5L or 2.8L CRD option.

I love my diesel Jeep. However, my g/f hates filling it up because the gas station attendants always run out and tell her she's at the wrong pump!

Ryan Trollin!
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
As Homer would say, mmmm, biodiesel
ARRRGH!!!

Fifteen men on a dead man's chest... Maverick Machineworks is open for business!! Tell me what you need and I can make it!
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by BloodyTomFlint:
As Homer would say, mmmm, biodiesel
ARRRGH!!!

Yup, B20 is the only thing local....

Ryan Trollin!
X
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
X
Originally posted by We Todd:
Originally posted by XKontour98:

I have an 05 Liberty CRD and rumor is that there won't be any CRDs for 07, and 08 is suppose to be introducing something they are calling BlueTec.

In Europe almost all the DC cars have the 2.5L or 2.8L CRD option.

I love my diesel Jeep. However, my g/f hates filling it up because the gas station attendants always run out and tell her she's at the wrong pump!

Thats what happened to my friend when she bought one of the first Diesel New Beetle's in the area.

I hate the smell of Diesel fuel though

Originally posted by Chickens:
Religion can't do much for ashholes (unless you are an alterboy)

98.5 Se w/SVT mods 98 E0 SVT~ sold
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard