Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by Big Jim:
In the roughest of terms, the 3.0 has 20% more displacement than a 2.5. Assuming that it can use 20% more air, the math would be simple. A throttle body with 20% more area would be between 65 and 66 mm.

With a hotter cam, head porting, larger exhaust, and no restriction from the MAF, a larger throttle body may be more optimal.

With stock exhaust, milder cams, etc, a smaller throttle body may be optimal.

Other factors may also change the results.

As I started to say, in the simplest of terms, a 65 mm throttle body would be a good place to start with a 3.0 with SVT cams. With Escape cams, the 60 mm would be a good palce to start.

You would need a set of cams hotter than the SVT cams to even thk about a 70 mm throttle body.

My $.02.

You mean like a 3L turbo capable of swallowing 500 cubic feet per minute...if not a bit more 7-8psi?

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by warmonger:
In the roughest of terms, the 3.0 has 20% more displacement than a 2.5. Assuming that it can use 20% more air, the math would be simple. A throttle body with 20% more area would be between 65 and 66 mm.

With a hotter cam, head porting, larger exhaust, and no restriction from the MAF, a larger throttle body may be more optimal.

As I started to say, in the simplest of terms, a 65 mm throttle body would be a good place to start with a 3.0 with SVT cams. With Escape cams, the 60 mm would be a good palce to start.

You would need a set of cams hotter than the SVT cams to even thk about a 70 mm throttle body.

My $.02.

You mean like a 3L turbo capable of swallowing 500 cubic feet per minute...if not a bit more 7-8psi?

I'm not sure. Remember that with forced induction the boost is in front of the throttle body. It certainly does add another dimension to tuning though.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
Originally posted by giddyup306:
Most will tell you that 70mm is overkill for a n/a 3L but, if you keep the secondaries functional, I don't think it'd hurt especially up top.

Considering the engine can't use but half of it's flow potential and the added size hurts velocity and causes a much greater pressure drop right at the mouth of the intake manifold. Gee why would people say it hurts performance???

A widened SVT UIM mouth is 67mm. You would have to port the UIM back a few inches to even allow the 70MM TB to flow properly.

Then do the math.
70mm TB outlet has a 73-75mm inlet.
The stock rubber boot is ~50mm
The SVT boot is ~54mm
The BAT pipe is ~62mm
The "huge" CTA pipe is ~72mm (That's 3" piping folks!!!)

The stock MAF has a flow area around 53-54mm

So large, small, large, small is how the incoming are goes. You can imagine this is not good for conserving energy & velocity. That is lost efficiency plain and simple.

BIGGER IS NOT ALWAYS BETTER!!! Far too many people just do not get this novel concept of flow dynamics.

Some people don't believe in doing some extra work to make things do-able. Not just direct bolt-ons.

The ONLY 96 (engine) 3L Build 'em fast. Spray 'em faster. ricehatersclub.com
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Some people don't believe in doing some extra work to make things do-able. Not just direct bolt-ons.

That's your reply.

You just do not get it do you. "Do-able" has nothing to do with it. You can mount single 5" exhaust in the stock tunnel without any issues so that makes it "doable" as well.
You better go do it then because your ignorant mind is exactly like the people I was talking about. Originally I was not trying to lump you in but your idiotic response shows all that needs to be seen.

Go put on your 70mm TB and sewer pipe exhaust. I'm sure you will make eleventy billion horsepower.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by warmonger:

My $.02.

I'm not sure. Remember that with forced induction the boost is in front of the throttle body. It certainly does add another dimension to tuning though.

Yeah, I understand what you are hinting at, but believe me, I'm sure. It makes a noticeable enough difference in just seat of the pants feel when jumping from 60 to 70mm with a turbo that it can't be a bad thing.

By the way I meant to say that 500+ cfm AT 7-8psi, it can pull closer to 700cfm at higher boost.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by DemonSVT:

That's your reply.

You just do not get it do you. "Do-able" has nothing to do with it. You can mount single 5" exhaust in the stock tunnel without any issues so that makes it "doable" as well.
You better go do it then because your ignorant mind is exactly like the people I was talking about. Originally I was not trying to lump you in but your idiotic response shows all that needs to be seen.

Go put on your 70mm TB and sewer pipe exhaust. I'm sure you will make eleventy billion horsepower.

You know, after reading the string of posts, I think Giddyup was agreeing with you, not contradicting you.

I think he was implying that you supported your opinion with a few facts and that other people weren't willing to do their homework like that. Of course I could be wrong.........

I
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
I
i'm glad i sparked a debate (what i was going for)

so from what im hearing the best setup for a N/A 3L is to use the svt Tb and maf? with svt uim/lim? or 3L uim/lim?

E1 CSVT s/c-----x turbo---x 3L------check
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
I would say that the 3.0 or SVT (same size) is appropriate as a starting point with non SVT cams regardless of which intake manifolds you are using. If you are using the SVT cams (or hotter, such as the milder of the available CAT cams), a 65 mm throttle body would be the appropriare starting point. I'll let others chime in about the MAF but I don't think it is any where near being a restriction yet.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I beleive the st220 uses the 65mm tb

3.0 14.392@97.237 2.302 60ft OEM 4-bolt LCA's $105 each Watch me go
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by incubusjunkie614:
i'm glad i sparked a debate (what i was going for)

so from what im hearing the best setup for a N/A 3L is to use the svt Tb and maf? with svt uim/lim? or 3L uim/lim?

Only if it is mildly modified. More heavy modified use the 65mm or the 60mm overbored to 63mm.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  bnoon_dup1, PA 3L SVT_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard