Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1480127 01/13/06 01:31 AM
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Anyone know if there is any kind of standardized certification for a bicycle mechanic? Or, any big name schools that teach the stuff? I've searched and found a few schools, but they all claim they're the best. No info on certs, though.

And I'm not looking to get into the bike mechanic business. Just wondering as its something I think I may enjoy taking some classes on.

Edit: I know Park Tools is the tool for bikes and they list United Bicycle and Barnett Bicycle Institutes for training, so if anyone knows anything about either, I'd appreciate it.

Last edited by 1314; 01/13/06 01:33 AM.
#1480128 01/13/06 06:36 AM
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
I learned everything but how to lace up a wheel in my garage. Took many years, lots of wrong-but-improvising tools, but I always got the job done. Age taught me the value of the right tool for the job.

Sorry I can't help with schools, but I think it's a cool profession. Just make sure you bike more than you buy bike parts...

Derek Scion xB 5-spd Previous: 2000 Silver Frost SVT Please share the road with cyclists.
#1480129 01/13/06 06:54 AM
G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
I had the same problem with buying tools so I just decided one day, "Heck, I'll get them all." And now I own Pedro's Master 2.0 Professional Tool Kit.

#1480130 01/13/06 12:37 PM
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by 1314:
Anyone know if there is any kind of standardized certification for a bicycle mechanic? Or, any big name schools that teach the stuff? I've searched and found a few schools, but they all claim they're the best. No info on certs, though.

And I'm not looking to get into the bike mechanic business. Just wondering as its something I think I may enjoy taking some classes on.

Edit: I know Park Tools is the tool for bikes and they list United Bicycle and Barnett Bicycle Institutes for training, so if anyone knows anything about either, I'd appreciate it.

I've been riding (both Mtn. and Road) for over 10 years, and worked in the bike industry for nearly 5.

I'm not aware of any "standardized" certification. There are 2 respected schools : United Bicycle Institute (Oregon)
and Barnett Bicycle Institute (Colorado), like you found. But they are for people who want to run or work in bike shops. Not really for hobbyists (as you would have to go to OR or CO for a period of time...)

I have not attended either one, but have heard good things about United. As for just taking some classes for fun, I found a basic bike mechanics class at my local Adult education program when I was in college (in Salt Lake City, Utah). It was helpful a good place to begin learning.

There are good books out there, the Barnett's book if you just want to learn a few things on your own. There are others, like Zinn and the Art of Bicycle Maintenance

Park Tools are definitely the best. Really can't go wrong with them.

Good luck, it's a fun hobby (both maintenance and riding). I'm not sure I would want to do it for a job though. Not much money in it. And from what I learned about the industry, it's not a really healthy one right now, not much growth...

MUST SELL - ECM computer new for a 98 V6 mtx + pats Now trolling in a Red Nissan 4 x 4

Link Copied to Clipboard