Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by 96RedSE5Sp:
Does the wiring harness recall apply to a '97? Is it good for 100,000 miles and 10 years from date of manufacture?

Yes and yes.

I wonder if anyone's ever tried to get a dealer to just supply them with the harnesses and the funds for the labor allowances and had the work done at an independent shop?

"Think of it, if you like, as a librarian with a G-string under the tweed." Clarkson on the Mondeo.
P
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
P
...and 10 years from date of manufacture?

Actually, it's 10 years from the "original warranty start date", which is usually the date the car was purchased new (i.e., time spent sitting in a dealer's lot doesn't count against your warranty period)

1995 Contour GL V6 ATX T/C 1986 Mustang GT 5.0 2000 Windstar LX
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by phil:
...and 10 years from date of manufacture?

Actually, it's 10 years from the "original warranty start date", which is usually the date the car was purchased new (i.e., time spent sitting in a dealer's lot doesn't count against your warranty period)

Correct. And the 100K miles is also from the mileage purchased new. If your odometer read 500 on the day of purchase new, then your warranty expires at 100,500 miles.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
I know that some parts must be removed to install the wire harness.

With these parts removed are there additional parts that are now easily accessible that should be scrutinized for repair or replacement?

C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Well I finally spoke to my insurance company.
They stated that repair of my electrical system is not considered customization not increasing the fair market value of my car.
So it is a risk I would have to take investing â???x- dollars into a vehicle worth â???y- dollars where in the case of total property loss the insurance company will only pay â???y- dollars. Supposedly many car owners take this kind of risk every day with older vehicles that need a great deal of money invested into them to keep them running properly.

C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Now if the Tour becomes a classic car then maybe stories like the one below will be told about it in the future

"â??I bought my 1974 Grandville convertible for $6,000 in January, 2005. The guy I bought it from purchased it for $5,500. He is a dentist, and a friend of his from England asked him to buy it. They only bought it to drive from California to Chicago, Illinois and back for a Lou Gehrig disease fund raiser. They put over $7,000 in repairs into the car.
His friend went back to England and he didn't need the car any more, so he put it on Ebay. I bought it and got a really Great car!! He only lived 200 miles from me, I'm in Fresno and he lives in Carmichael, California.
So I took the train there and drove the car back. He gave me all of the receipts, and what he paid for the car. Here's what he had done to the car last year: rebuilt engine and trans, new coil springs, new power brakes and master cylinder, rebuilt radiator, all new hoses and belts, new alternator, new seat belts, and turn signals. It still needs things fixed - the air doesn't work, needs shocks, a sticker in the glove box says it has super lift shocks, but I don't see them, and it rides too mushy, the steering doesn't feel right either. It feels too easy with no feel of the road. And the last 2 things are the driver's side power windows, they work but don't line up right when raised all the way. And that's my classic!�
"

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard